127 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [6] | 

King of Tokyo» Forums » General

Subject: Any info on King of New York yet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sin Sam
msg tools
Time frame of publish, again for those who don't read, is "Shortly after Zombie 15'." You may not have noticed, but Iello is not as big a company as Wizards of the Coast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Fleming
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's probably no news because they haven't finalized the details yet. They're not going to announce details that might change.
There is compatibility between the games. The monster standees and boards can be used in either game.
Garfield left Wizards of the Coast and only sporadically contributes to the development of Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Sanchez
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm more interested in games my friends play and have a decent time for expansions and whatnot, could care less about other kickstarter games they have to go thru first because their a "smaller" company, who left what company, what legal issues have to be hurdled.
I'm a fan of a GAME not a company....
To each their own....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sin Sam
msg tools
Well... The game you are a fan of is already out, so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have trouble taking seriously any post that contains the phrase "could care less".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWaspinator wrote:
I have trouble taking seriously any post that contains the phrase "could care less".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think about the quote "The Alpha Zombie will be fully compatible with King of New York, due to be released just a few months after Zombie 15'!" it would make total sense that the timing would then be in line with Gen Con in August. Wouldn't you want a big release news story like this game to be at your booth at the big show? At least that is my best guess is they are pushing to have it ready by August.
Any chance anyone from Iello still reading this that is willing to confirm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Villeurbanne
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrranch wrote:
… it would make total sense that the timing would then be in line with Gen Con in August.
It definitely crossed our minds, but we'd rather not rush the game development just to have it released earlier, and we still need at least a few weeks to polish the art and set everything up for production. I think we're most probably looking at a September or Essen release, but nothing is for sure yet. We'll let you all know as soon as we have a better idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the publisher update! I'd rather wait until after too as I wouldn't be able to make GenCon anyway. That means I'm less bummed about that knowing I won't miss out on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray MacPherson
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
mb
Make it September in time for my birthday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So are there maybe a few more little bit, or tiny Information about the Gameplay or the Design??? Something new???
PLEASE tell us!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Villeurbanne
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game development should actually be over in a couple of weeks, so a Gen Con release is more probable than ever, yet still not 100% confirmed.

We're working on how and when to disclose each bit of info (cover, monsters, new mechanics, board, etc.) so we keep you all interested until the actual release of the game , but for now, all we can say is still:

1. Monsters will be able to move through different districts on the board.
2. The humans will definitely strike back!
3. The game should be a bit richer than KoT, but not much more complex.
4. There will be 6 new monsters, entirely compatible with King of Tokyo.
5. Some mechanics will stay the same (6 dice, 3 rolls, paws to hit, hearts to heal, energy to purchase cards, and Manhattan as the rewarding but exposed central space), but a lot will be new too (the 3 new sides on the dice, for example).

That's it for now, but more is coming soon, I promise !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Woodland Hills
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
You flinched!
badge
Now you have to marry your mother-in-law.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattintheweb wrote:
The game development should actually be over in a couple of weeks, so a Gen Con release is more probable than ever, yet still not 100% confirmed.

We're working on how and when to disclose each bit of info (cover, monsters, new mechanics, board, etc.) so we keep you all interested until the actual release of the game , but for now, all we can say is still:

1. Monsters will be able to move through different districts on the board.
2. The humans will definitely strike back!
3. The game should be a bit richer than KoT, but not much more complex.
5. Some mechanics will stay the same (6 dice, 3 rolls, paws to hit, hearts to heal, energy to purchase cards, and Manhattan as the rewarding but exposed central space), but a lot will be new too (the 3 new sides on the dice, for example).

That's it for now, but more is coming soon, I promise !
Well that just sounds amazing! Thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
And I hope the Monsters from KoT will be compatible with KoNY--now that would be exciting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Ninjabob wrote:
And I hope the Monsters from KoT will be compatible with KoNY--now that would be exciting!
Quote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
luvmywife wrote:
Ninjabob wrote:
Quote:
I think this is not the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
After reading it carefully, I have to agree with you. Not the same.
Sorry. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Villeurbanne
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninjabob wrote:
They will be.
Actually, all the existing monsters (from KOT, expansions, promos or fan-made) will be compatible with both games. The rules will be too different to use the Evolution cards in KoNY, though. But the game will bring its own new meechanics anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattintheweb wrote:
Ninjabob wrote:
They will be.
Actually, all the existing monsters (from KOT, expansions, promos or fan-made) will be compatible with both games. The rules will be too different to use the Evolution cards in KoNY, though. But the game will bring its own new meechanics anyway.
The Evolutions are the one thing that makes the Monsters distinct so please ensure that they remain so in KoNY if Evolutions are being done away with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sin Sam
msg tools
If you've got a monster with 0-10 (or 12) Life Points, and victory point counter with 0-20 victory points, your monster is compatible with both King of Tokyo and King of New York.

jonahmaul wrote:
Mattintheweb wrote:
The rules will be too different to use the Evolution cards in KoNY, though. But the game will bring its own new meechanics anyway.
The Evolutions are the one thing that makes the Monsters distinct so please ensure that they remain so in KoNY if Evolutions are being done away with.
King of Tokyo Evolutions are not compatible because the game is very different. I could be wrong, but I don't think Matt's post means that Evolutions in general won't be a possible KoNY game mechanic. I think they will be, because as far as I can tell, you can still roll three hearts at once, and your monster can still have power cards purchased from a central (or distributed) deck. In fact, Evolutions seem like a very likely mechanic, either out-of-box or as an expansion. Considering how popular they are, I'd be surprised if KoNY doesn't have them.

What Matt is saying, though, is the existing K.o.Tokyo evos cards won't work for K.o.NewYork. All current info seems to indicate that 1, 2, and 3 are not on the new dice. That means that any evolution card that relies on rolling or re-rolling a 1, 2, or 3 (Gigazaur's Tail Sweep, for example) won't be compatible at all with KoNY. There are also new sources of damage, new targets to attack, and more locations to occupy. That means power cards or evolutions that revolve around dealing damage, taking damage, or changing position would need to, at the very least, be re-examined and re-interpreted in light of the new mechanics.

Again, I'm not saying evolutions are a confirmed mechanic of KONY. But if they are, you'll very likely end up with Gigazaur KOT evos, and then a separate deck of Gigazaur KONY evos. It's possible that some will be redundant. Existing evolutions dealing with energy generation, healing, or cost reduction will probably be just fine under the new mechanics.

Same thing goes for the base power cards, too. Burrowing would have to be re-worked, but Parasitic Tentacles or Alien Metabolism would (probably) be fine as-is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people are misreading my post. I understand that Evolutions are not in KoNY but I want something that continues to make the Monsters distinct (rather than generic) which is what the Evolutions currently do. Otherwise the monster cards are just pretty pictures that don't really represent anything. I like being Cyber Bunny that hordes energy or Kraken who is great at healing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Some news here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/30904/king-of-new-york...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sin Sam
msg tools
Three monsters revealed and one teased (The Robot on one side of the cover mock up).
The three revealed monsters seem to be sort of fun-housed mirrors to the King of Tokyo monsters: Captain Fish to Cyber Bunny; Kong to The King; and probably Sheriff to Gigazaur (American Godzilla vs Japanese Godzilla, lol.) Note that all three of the revealed monsters are on the front cover, as are their King of Tokyo mirrors.

Already thinking up Sheriff KOT evolutions. "Short Arm of the Law," does something. New Sheriff in Town gives extra victory for forcing another monster to yield, or not yielding to another monster. Maybe one about the badge stopping a bullet once. Kaijurassic Park? They need work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ricky pritt
United States
battle creek
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a response from iello on facebook that the offical street date is going to be october 16th
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickypritt wrote:
I just got a response from iello on facebook that the offical street date is going to be october 16th
The 16th? Well I can save money on that for now I suppose, because I will be dropping that preorder. It's a shame, because I'm home on vacation right now and leave again in the 15th; my coworkers would have loved for me to bring it back with me. At least if I cancel now then I have the possibility of it being on sale for the holidays.

Seems like this is a common thing in the hobby and something I will have to get used to, not being able to commit to a release date because of "ships."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [6] |