Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
How many BoardGameGeeks does it take to change the product ratings at Amazon.com to reflect geek opinions rather than that of the uneducated unwashed non-gaming public? For example, Dog-opoly has a rating of from 3 reviews. If the thousands of geeks from this site were to write reviews of that game, the rating would inevitably be lower. And if they were to write reviews of Puerto Rico or whatever their favourite game is, there would be a shifting of the Amazon ratings from favouring mass-market dross to interesting games instead. Do you think that would work to change any game-buying habits at all? In politics this would be called branch-stacking, but I like to think of it as Democracy in Action :-).

Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
As a test, I just gave Dog-Opoly a quicky, negative review and knocked it down half a star.

Unfortunately, you can't just rate the game. You must write a review and rate the game to have the rating effect the total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
I think that would be about as welcome as thousands of Monopoly enthusiasts coming here and rating games so as to push their games up and the top rated ones here down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Or like having all the PR enthusiasts come here and oh...what was that? Too late? Oh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
do I 'hear' someone advocating the "anunciation" FOR a "SHILL KING" upon this matter then? I'd say to "keep it honest", and make other "suggestions" in PLACE of those that they have 'listed', and keep this:
'fair' & 'balanced'~"frack YOU" 'FUX News'!
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Ritchey
United States
Whitefish Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see a lot of negative reviews of Dog-opoly (i.e., 20 bad reviews compared to 3 good) having some negative impact on Amazon's sales of that game. Sure. People who are interested in that game and read reviews of the game before they buy want to know what other people think and a bunch of people saying it stinks is bound to turn them off.

On the contrary, positive reviews of a BGG popular game (i.e., Puerto Rico) would probably not have the same impact in the positive direction. I bet the typical Amazon shopper that pulls up Puerto Rico already knows the game is well reviewed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isabel D.
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hum, interesting thought. But I don't think it would do much to promote boardgaming to have basically 99% of board games that will be looked up on amazon accompanied by negative comments. But, a link to BGG might not be a bad investment of time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
board game fans don't buy dog-opoly, dog fanatics do because it is about dogs. I doubt most of the weird monopoly editions get played, it all about collecting. I have bought games just to have them with no intention of playing, as well as many other things I already had just because it was older, newer, in better condition etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
We should all rate the original monopoly just to see what happens.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fischer
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure this makes me a heathen, but Dogopoloy doesn't seem like that bad a version of Monopoly. You get to learn about the different breeds while playing! It made me sad when I read your comment, Joey, and then scrolled down to the comments from the grandparents who bonded with their grandchildren over the game. How could you give a game that brings generations together such a low rating?

(Said with some sarcasm, but there certainly isn't anything wrong with them having their fun!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think user ratings have much impact on a purchase like that. Your average person buying board games on Amazon isn't thinking: "Here's five board games that interest me, but Dogopoly has 4.5 stars! That settles it, I'm getting Dogopoly." The person is thinking: "I have a not-so-close friend who likes dogs. What should I get for his birthday? Dogopoly? That's cute. Click."

This is actually my recurring nightmare since I got into gaming a few months ago. My friends know I like cats and board games but don't really get what this whole board game thing is about, so my fear is one day they'll all chip in to buy me a copy of Catopoly. Noooooooooo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ed95005 wrote:
I don't think user ratings have much impact on a purchase like that. Your average person buying board games on Amazon isn't thinking: "Here's five board games that interest me, but Dogopoly has 4.5 stars! That settles it, I'm getting Dogopoly." The person is thinking: "I have a not-so-close friend who likes dogs. What should I get for his birthday? Dogopoly? That's cute. Click."

This is actually my recurring nightmare since I got into gaming a few months ago. My friends know I like cats and board games but don't really get what this whole board game thing is about, so they get me Cat-opoly. Noooooooooo!

You could take half a dozen photos of it, review it, chuck up a couple of session reports and hey presto 10GG from 'Cat-opoly'!
Then you could geekbay it as a curio and become rich, RICH!
You see, no nightmare for you! Every cloud has a silver lining!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
I think that would be about as welcome as thousands of Monopoly enthusiasts coming here and rating games so as to push their games up and the top rated ones here down.

Bah! If Monopoly players are too lazy to find real quality games, then they would be too lazy to come around here and down rate games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasey Relford
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrentCase wrote:
I don't think it's so much laziness that keeps people from looking for other games--rather, a simple lack of knowledge that 'better' games are out there. If you don't even know they're there, why even THINK to look?

This reflects an internal conflict I've dealt with for years.

For as long as I can remember, there's always been this difference between what *I* liked, and what my friends/family liked. Movies and music, most importantly. When I mention favorite bands [nearly all indie] to people who are only familiar with 'Radio-Promoted' music [most of which I cannot stand], they tend to say things like "You listen to weird music" or "I've never heard of Don Caballero" or "Where on Earth did you ever even HEAR of that band ?". With movies, it's always "Why don't you want to watch the new Tom Cruise movie ?" or "I looked for that movie you were talking about, but Wal-Mart doesn't have it". yuk Sigh.

I've noticed the same thing with gaming now that I've been introduced to the BGG and it's contents. When I mention the games we're playing nowadays, and I know this is beating a dead horse, I get that same, puzzled look you all know and love. "Huh ? Is it like Trivial Pursuit? That's my favorite board game" and "I love board games too. We just bought Life again the other day. Wanna play ?".

Oh well, vicious circle, I guess. I fail to apologize any more. I just roll with it, and try my best to merge my insterests with those around me, without too much trashing of the usual fare [Monopoly, Life, Creed, Korn, etc..]

I agree that doing so can turn people off to your own opinions, though I have to grit my teeth when I try to say something nice about Limp Bizkit or Britney Spears, but...what can you do ? I'd be inclined to say that Monopoly isn't necessarily a GOOD *bored* game at all. It's just POPULAR. And, in *MY* world, that doesn't mean JACK SH*T.

Karrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
tranzducer wrote:

This reflects an internal conflict I've dealt with for years.

must...resist...lame...red tile joke....

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

must...resist...lame...red tile joke....

-MMM

Speking of which, FIX T&E..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasey Relford
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrentCase wrote:
At the risk of not being 'with it,' what exactly IS the "lame red tile joke"? I'd like to hear it, even if it's lame.

He's referring to the game Euphrat & Tigris [or whichever you prefer to call it], where you can have Internal as well as External "conflicts", using different colored tiles...including...you guessed it...RED. shake

K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
You could take half a dozen photos of it, review it, chuck up a couple of session reports and hey presto 10GG from 'Cat-opoly'!

And if you put a cat in the box in the photos, nobody would be able to complain!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Jacy
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of bad mouthing monopoly on a site like Amazon, it might be interesting if people would review the game honestly, and then put a note like "If you like games, ALSO check out X, Y, and Z." And then put in your favorite gateway game. One can buy TTR and Carc. and other games on Amazon (hmm... a quick search and one can even buy Puerto Rico on amazon...).

Now that would be a fair thing, and might get people who might not otherwise think to look for other games to do so.

Also maybe the thought of going to Amazon and rating your top 10 games that can be bought there well would also be honest and a good thing generally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flannel Golem
United States
Bemidji
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I created a Listmania list of my favorite games available through Amazon. Seems like that would be a more positive way to promote "our" games than bad-mouthing others. Now, if a couple hundred of us created a list of 10-15 games (a surprising number of Rio Grande and Mayfair are available there, albeit a bit expensive) on Amazon, anyone looking through games will likely hit upon one of our lists, leading them to discover the rest. Ninja evangelism. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
jjacy1 wrote:
Instead of bad mouthing monopoly on a site like Amazon, it might be interesting if people would review the game honestly, and then put a note like "If you like games, ALSO check out X, Y, and Z." And then put in your favorite gateway game. One can buy TTR and Carc. and other games on Amazon (hmm... a quick search and one can even buy Puerto Rico on amazon...).

Now that would be a fair thing, and might get people who might not otherwise think to look for other games to do so.

Also maybe the thought of going to Amazon and rating your top 10 games that can be bought there well would also be honest and a good thing generally.

This is the most insightful post in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listmania/fullview/R28B58SG...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.