flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan: 70
Marisue: 50
Mitchell: 50
Terence: 46
Esther: 45

After our game of Fifth Avenue, we packed up the games and headed over to Dan's house at the request of his wife, so that she could participate in the gaming goodness.

Dan left a couple of minutes before us, and we arrived to find him finishing up the setup for Age of Steam, yet another game that we had never played before. However, we are big fans of Railroad Tycoon, so it didn't take very long to explain the differences between the two games.

If I had to make the session report be a single sentence, it would probably contain the words "Wow" and "Tense". And Tense would probably be bolded and underlined.

All I can say is that I'm glad you aren't forced to build and deliver cubes, or I would have done a lot worse. In the end I was just happy that I managed to remain solvent during the entire course of the game.

Dan was the clear runaway leader on this game, making quite a few large link deliveries. In stark constrast to my own "strategy" (if one could call it that) which involved several safe single link deliveries for most of the game, although I did get as high as 3 links for two deliveries at the end of the game.

The combination of low income, having to pay for your links, and moving backwards on the score track if your income falls into a certain range made me probably more gunshy than I needed to be in making sure I didn't go bankrupt.

Esther worked mostly alone on the western side of the map (except for a link I stole so that I could steal some of her cubes). Marisue and I worked mostly in the east, though she had more links than I did. Dan and Mitchell fought it out over cubes in the south until the near the end of the game, when Marisue also ventured to build a link down there.

When all was said and done, I wasn't surprised to be near the end of the pack, but I was glad that I had managed to not go bankrupt at all. Of course in retrospect, since the ordering of the turns has you earning money before you go backwards on the income track, more risk = more reward as far as spending the money it would take to get a good delivery.

I'll try to keep that in mind for the next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A major congratulations for staying solvent in your first play... when I teach AoS, I make that the PRIMARY goal for new players! Well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Odat wrote:
In the end I was just happy that I managed to remain solvent during the entire course of the game.

Well done.

Quote:
In stark constrast to my own "strategy" (if one could call it that) which involved several safe single link deliveries for most of the game, although I did get as high as 3 links for two deliveries at the end of the game.

One of the points I try and stress when teaching AoS is, "If you are not delivering 5 and 6 train links on a regular basis by the end of the game you will lose. It is that simple: You will lose. Yes, 1, 2, 3 etc deliveries are fine, but if your train is bigger than that you really don't care about them. They are now small fry. You want those 5 and 6 train deliveries and you want them NOW."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One of the points I try and stress when teaching AoS is, "If you are not delivering 5 and 6 train links on a regular basis by the end of the game you will lose. It is that simple: You will lose. Yes, 1, 2, 3 etc deliveries are fine, but if your train is bigger than that you really don't care about them. They are now small fry. You want those 5 and 6 train deliveries and you want them NOW."

I like the sentiment here... but it may be a bit overstated. In a 5-player game with a tough cube-set "regular basis by the end of the game" may not be possible for anyone. Yes, a few 5's and a bunch of 4s, but probably not "5 and 6 train links on a regular basis".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a good first game and we would have restarted if anyone went bankrupt because it makes for a better game with everyone in it. I especially like that my son (10 years) requests this game over RRT. He likes the fact that more cubes get introduced into the game through the PRODUCTION/GOODS GROWTH phase of the game. He hates having to take shares though and I'm waiting for the day when it all clicks for him so that he sees that sometimes taking shares isn't so bad when it causes a return on your investment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.