Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marisue: 67
Terence: 60

Dancin' Dan brought Hansa over last week for us to try, with stories of how good it was and how he had only ever played it once, two player at Terminal City Gamers, and fell in love with it right away. So we tried out the game with him, like good little gamers who want to play games.

Sometime during the week we visited Buck at the store and casually slipped Hansa off the shelf and onto the counter while chatting with him.

On gaming Saturday when Dan showed up with Fifth Avenue and other games he noticed Hansa on the top of the pile and let forth a mightly laugh.

But all of that aside, Marisue and I were ready to give this one a go as a two player game, and it didn't dissapoint.

All of the same tension regarding where to leave the boat, when to pick up items and when to set up markets. I would have to say that this game does in fact scale really well, at least between 2 and 3 player games.

The game went very similar to the game we had played with Dan, although with one extra color of goods markers out of the game, the end came much faster than it had with 3 players.

In particular, I was in the lead as far as pure items sold until near the end of the game, when Marisue managed to pull off a couple of big operations selling a ton of items. Every city on the board but one was loaded up with market stalls. At the end of the last turn each of us had 3 markets left in our supplies.

In this game it was Marisue instead of me that was the one to pay to restock all of the cities with goods, until the last turn when I ended the game by dipping into the last stack of goods.

Going into the last turn, there wasn't a lot that I could do, so I sailed around in the west, picked up a single goods marker and then sailed to the only city on the board (also in the west) that didn't already have any markets on it, and used my goods marker to set up a monoply.

Marisue didn't have enough money to get around to there and stop me, but she was able to pick up a couple of smaller goods and sell them before her turn ended.

Sadly (for me) the couple of big sales she managed put her over the top by a fair margin for the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Rasch
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree that the game scales very well. It's only recently I tried my first 2-player Hansa, and I was quite surprised how well it played.

If you can't get enough of Hansa, you can play it at mabiweb.com and you will probably see me there aswell (nickname: krasch)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi I am wargamer inside out but reall like Hansa.

From the same designer I have Web of Power and really enjoy playing it with my parents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
I simply walk into Mordor.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll only play this game as a two-player game - I dislike it with more, but enjoy it very much with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Quote:
The game went very similar to the game we had played with Dan, although with one extra color of goods markers out of the game, the end came much faster than it had with 3 players.

Hansa might last less time with two players, but I think you have roughly the same number of turns as in a three (or even four) player game. A clever bit of design that makes the game scale well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.