Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

New England» Forums » Rules

Subject: pieces on double tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fer moros
South Korea
Kwang-Ju
Gwangju
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How many pieces (pilgrim, boat, barn) can the initial double tiles hold?

Is it 2? one per square
or
only 1? one per tile


thanks
happy games!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Been awhile since I've played, but pretty sure it is only 1.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juuso Mattila
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is always 1 piece per tile and that counts for the initial tiles, too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Johnson
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, just one piece per tile, regardless of tile size.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to disagree with these replies as to what the actual rules may be, but I assumed from the start that it was one piece per board space and the starting tile takes up two board spaces, so that's two pieces. It makes sense to me and I plan on continuing to play that way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
I'm not going to disagree with these replies as to what the actual rules may be, but I assumed from the start that it was one piece per board space and the starting tile takes up two board spaces, so that's two pieces. It makes sense to me and I plan on continuing to play that way.


Except you are disagreeing, and you are incorrect. It's one piece per tile, not board space...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Miller
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Dipper
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the rules, Bob. I'm pretty sure they specifically state that only one figure can go on each tile, including starting tiles.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fer moros
South Korea
Kwang-Ju
Gwangju
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks to all,
today we played it again for second time (could not wait) and when re-reading the translation + looking at the box pictures, yes, it is only one piece per tile regardless its size.

our first game we played it wrong, holding 2 pieces on double tile... but i have to admit that it looked kind of logical

our second game was excellent, tight to ONE point for the winner!

Happy games!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Except you are disagreeing, and you are incorrect. It's one piece per tile, not board space...


I wasn't disagreeing. If that's what the rules say, that's what the rules say. I'm stating how I play because it makes sense to me. And the game plays just fine that way.

In fact, I will go further and say the rule as written makes no sense to me. The starting tile counts as two spaces when matching to developement cards, so why shouldn't it count as two spaces for hosting pilgrams/barns/boats?

I AM glad I know the real rule though in case I ever play it with other experienced players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
Windopaene wrote:
Except you are disagreeing, and you are incorrect. It's one piece per tile, not board space...


I wasn't disagreeing. If that's what the rules say, that's what the rules say. I'm stating how I play because it makes sense to me. And the game plays just fine that way.

In fact, I will go further and say the rule as written makes no sense to me. The starting tile counts as two spaces when matching to developement cards, so why shouldn't it count as two spaces for hosting pilgrams/barns/boats?

I AM glad I know the real rule though in case I ever play it with other experienced players.


Well, then what happens when you have a player who claims that only that segment of the tile with a figure on it is occupied, and they can use the other end of the tile for development freely? Do you break out the scissors? Do you deny them one part of the rule while enforcing the other, inconsistently?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackberry wrote:
Well, then what happens when you have a player who claims that only that segment of the tile with a figure on it is occupied, and they can use the other end of the tile for development freely? Do you break out the scissors? Do you deny them one part of the rule while enforcing the other, inconsistently?


Well obviously the whole start tile has to be used either for developement or for occupation. I don't think that leads to any incosistencies. If you have two pilgrims on a start tile and want to develope on it you have to move both of them. If you have a barn on one part of a start tile (and barns can't be moved) then the other part can only be used for holding another barn/pilgrim.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Johnson
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I wasn't disagreeing. If that's what the rules say, that's what the rules say. I'm stating how I play because it makes sense to me. And the game plays just fine that way.


It may SEEM to play fine like that, but what you are really doing is making it too easy to place pilgrims, barns or ships. One of the beauties of this game is finding the correct balance of when to purchase land versus pilgrims, ships or barns, and also how to use that land for future needs. The way you play gives an additional 12 spaces for the wooden pieces in a 4-player game. Much less dramatic and less tense game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.