Subject: Lovin' Traders & Builders! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello All BGG's,

Carcassone is such a solid game that when i bought the Inns & Cathedrals my wife was all "Why do we need to add more to this game? Its so good already..."

My only defence was "Babe?! Are you serious? it's highly rated on BGG, and more of anything is better right?"

Well we REALLY enjoyed I&C, and when i saw this on the shelf at one of my LGS i jumped on it. Turns out i was having a hard time finding this expansions since Z-MAN took over the licence for CARCASSONNE products.

Anyways i was eager to add this to our game and see what it makes the game become!

Carcassone: Traders & Builders
Players: 2-5
Est. Time: 35-60 mins
Age Level: 6+

So T+B is the second expansion in the Carc. series. The primary highlights of the expansions are:

1. City Trade goods "bonus tiles"

2. The builders token: Allows a player to take a second turn if the following tile would add to the feature the builder is on.

3. The pig token: Allows a player to place a pig in a field he/she already controls and makes the farms worth 4 points each rather than 3.
4. Interesting city tiles, new bridge tiles, and the tile BAG!

The setup is the same as the Original Carcassonne, each player chooses a colour, then each player also takes the pig and builder token in the same colours. Players then add ALL tiles into the new tile bag and play begins as normal with the starter tile.

Some thoughts on intial play:

1. Using the Builder can be beneficial, but if after you place the builder on a city or road, you HOPE your next turn you can get a continuing tile like a city or road, since then you get to pick and place ANOTHER tile. I found that i laid my builder in a city but failed to pull another city tile, so i did not get my builder back until late game.

2. The new city tiles are great! Those hard to find tiles that seal up your castle are now available, if you can get them!

3. The elements of "finishing" another players city now allows you to reap the benefits of the bonus tiles.

4. I found the pig token very powerful but placement and timing is huge.

5. One thing i did not like in the I&C expansion was if your road with a lake on it was not completed, or your city with the cathedral was not completed it was worth 0 points! This does not happen with the T&B expansion so that was nice!

My wife dominated me in the first game with only 4 wine barrels, 2 wheat and 1 fabric. My cities were larger but still she beat me by 12 points.
As well she had been trying to lay down roads to capitalize her pig placement which after serving 5 farms was well worth the 20 points!

Overall this expansion really picks up the strategy. Even though their are more tiles, and things happening, it does not seem to extend the amount of time required. At least to our seasoned player games!

I love that strategy is huge here, as mentioned before finishing someones city before was just to shut down the point train that they had going. now it does that AND benefits the goods tokens for completing the city! A real nice touch!

The builder is unique, but i felt confused initially on how to use it, as well, i found i kept forgetting to use him!

What a fantastic expansion though! Really pumps new life into Vanilla
Carcassone.

CARCASSONNE: TRADERS & BUILDERS

Component Quality - 8/10
Gameplay - 8/10
Strategy - 9/10
Theme - 7/10
Kid friendly - 8/10

Overall - 8/10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! Makes us want to pull out the game and play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this expansion too, although I usually only use the Trade Goods, and leave out the builder and pig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Trade Goods are one of the best things from all the expansions. I'd have wished for more of these symbols on the other expansions!

We never use the builder - if he's got trapped early in the game, you lose many turns compared to the other players. Not a good expansion. So we think he's a little overpowered and unbalances the game.

The pig has not much impact, except if you are able to place it on a real huge farm.

The Cathedral tile is a destructive one - but in a way, fun! If you have one in your city and it grows a little bigger, other players will surely sabotage it (or try to participate), so finish it quickly meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collis Jeppesen
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever we play this game we always use Trader's and Builders AND Inns and Cathedrals with all rules.

The builder is nice and so is the pig. Using both expansions adds a little time to each game (average +30 minutes per expansion), but the mixed tiles and meeple can coalesce into a very competitive game. They work well together and the symbols on the bottom of the tiles makes it easy to sort them when putting the game away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Collis68 wrote:
Whenever we play this game we always use Trader's and Builders AND Inns and Cathedrals with all rules.

The builder is nice and so is the pig. Using both expansions adds a little time to each game (average +30 minutes per expansion), but the mixed tiles and meeple can coalesce into a very competitive game. They work well together and the symbols on the bottom of the tiles makes it easy to sort them when putting the game away.

Same here. We never play without both expansions, plus both river expansions. We play with 5 or 6 players every time, so the rivers help break up the map and get us off to a good start.

One note -- we still use the rule that unfinished roads with an inn on the lake do not score points, as well as cities with cathedrals that are unfinished.

We like the builder and use it to good effect, to get that extra tile as often as possible. Sometimes, we have three or four players building the same city, and if several of them have their builders in it, it can grow quite rapidly.

We like the pig addition, which can make a big difference, when playing with so many players (if you can manage to get the pig in one of your fields).

Further note: we still play with the original scoring rules of 4 points per finished city in a field, and the pig makes them worth 5 points. This makes fields very competitive in our games.

Final note: We believe the trade goods addition was the best expansion idea in the series. I have won games primarily by monopolizing the trade goods, while finishing other players' cities (and I've lost by the same technique). It definitely adds a new dimension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.