Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rafał Cywicki
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My reign as a Geek of the Week comes to an end. And it is time to appoint my successor. I chose "Tuism" for that role. Since I started playing Netrunner, I read almost every post that shows up on BGG about it. In nearly half of them you'll find Tuism - giving good advice and being polite and patient, no matter how noobish or stupid question is. If you ask me FFG should have him on a payroll as a community manager and doing all that work just for the love of the game is the mark of the true Geek.

So let's hear from the man himself:

------------------------------

First of all, a big thank you to Rafał Cywicki (chomoon) for bestowing upon me this wonderful and unexpected honour of sharing a list with the likes of Tom Vasel!

Introduction

I’m currently 31, and live in Johannesburg, South Africa, where I grew up and got a degree in Information Design at the University of Pretoria, which was an unexpected outcome at that time! You see, I had refused to study anything art related to start with, not even art during high school, despite being designated the school mascot doodler (which turned out to be Sonic… Originality wasn’t much of a thing when I was 14) at primary school. When I first entered university I studied some Bcom business thing, and totally battled the Accounting dragon for a year before realising business was simply not where I needed to be. Switching my course of study on a whim one afternoon (having made the decision on the deadline day of course entry), I put together a portfolio from nothing by drawing non-stop for a month, and got into the Information Design course, and thus started my life as a creative.

And now, back to gaming As a child, I went through the NES, Mega Drive, SNES, and many of the classics, but also I vaguely remember having made several of my own boardgames by taping bits of paper together on the floor and drawing blocks and shops of stuff to buy with monopoly money, inspired by Ganbare Goemon, a SNES classic, and giant mazes inspired by some NES game with giant floaty Japanese demon heads and a guy with a sword of which I can’t remember the name.

How I got physical

In high school, I got into Magic around 4th Edition, when Colossus of Sardia blew my mind. Then I quickly learned about the game further, got into competitive mode, and proceeded to throw all my pocket money into up-trading (aka swindling) other kids and hustling at local tournaments (when you’re top 3 every weekend, I call it hustling). Around the time of Urza’s Saga I came 4th at the local regionals (what was that, 98? Something like that), and quickly after that I realised that competitive magic was all about the money and that I didn’t want to be stuck in an endless cycle of booster chasing, swindling and hustling due to the rarity system. That was also the year I quit playing an MMO (it was Chinese, and taught me to type in Chinese, for that I’m grateful!)

From then I stopped buying InQuests, stopped following the physical gaming scene, and became Ye Olde Regular Gamer, LANning classics like Starcraft, Duke Nukem, Quake, then Unreal, etc. I LOVED Emulators and FFVI was among my favourite titles ever.

Then, about a year ago, I had gotten into boardgaming from getting together with a few friends who played some Boardgames (Thunderstone mostly), and my lovely girlfriend gave me Citadels, Munchkins and Coloretto for my birthday. I really enjoyed the mental and social aspects of the games, and it reminded me fondly of the Magic days. It was fun.

I also got into this little gem of a game called Assassin’s Creed: Recollection, an iPad card game that could be best described as Magic: The Real-Time Gathering. It was a clever mix of exciting real-time sensibilities as could only be done in a digital format, along with familiar deck-building and strategy of the old CCG model. I got totally into it, throwing money at Ubisoft, and was among the founders for *the* unofficial ACR portal online. That was an awesome community with awesome people. We even got in direct contact with the developer team from Ubisoft, and that was pretty incredible to be able to get into discussions with the game creators. Then Ubisoft just dropped the project… Which was incredibly sad. The game still runs, the servers are still on, but there’s no more expansions and no more support. It was super disappointing, I thought the digital distribution model would mean better value for money for everyone and the game would have legs. Clearly Ubisoft was the wrong horse to bet on.

Currently

Then, Everything Changed™. I was at the local annual gaming expo (October 2012), and Android: Netrunner was just out. I had heard about it via the grapevine, I had heard that it was by that guy who designed Magic, I heard that it was asymmetrical, and I heard that it didn’t have RANDOM BOOSTERS. That BLEW MY MIND. Having previously promised myself not to get back into unhealthy cardboard-crack addiction, and burned myself with ACR, I was apprehensive at first, but I bought my Core along with a friend of mine, and we played a few games, and my mind was blown. So blown. We shared a second core, and started to regularly hit our one FLGS. And then I found BGG (for shame for not knowing about it before then), and the rest, as they say, is cliche. I mean history.

I started hungrily devouring all the strategic discussions, and was utterly amazed at the amount of insight that BGG had. ANR was clearly a big game with a grand community, without which I’m not sure if I - we - could have locally sustained any level of interest. Our local player base went from just 3 that we knew of, to our most recent regional tournament having a 14-player turnout - a big shoutout to fellow community chargers Nuno (@griffonstone) and Daniel (@kharrak) for everything that they’ve also done for our community!

Play making

Parallel to this foray into boardgaming, I had also just joined up the local game dev community MakeGamesSA. Making games was to me what being a fireman and policeman was to kids out of cliched stories, despite having made two games during high school in Turbo Pascal (!?). One was a Space Invader clone where the invaders swarmed like flies cos I was too lazyto write fixed attack patterns, and fell down when you shot them, and a columns-like game called Tiltris in which the game area tilted as the weight shifted. That was when I was 16.

I was always quite level-headed when it came to career, and so never went into game dev. But now, I see that the AppStore is real, that digital distribution is real, and there were inspirational stories behind titles like 10000000 (a game made by a guy with his hobby time during his wife’s 9 months pregnancy so he could dedicate his time to fathering when the baby popped), and accessible tools like Unity and GameMaker… So I jumped in and started to learn, so that I may start producing functional interactions instead of pretty screenshots.

I’ve made several prototypes and am now working on Fling Fight, a genre-mix angry-bird-cross-puyo-puyo puzzle fighting game (http://www.thesteventu.com/flingfight/), and am thoroughly enjoy it despite the steep learning curve.

I’ve also dabbled in boardgame mechanics, and created a concept Rogue-Like Card Game during one of our boardgame jams (http://www.thesteventu.com/my-rouge-like-card-game-wits-boar...). I’ve a few other ideas buried in my moleskine that I hope to bring to the world, but time! Time is the currency that’s not quite in abundance!

Tee-hee

I also designed t-shirts with the focus on pop-culture mashups (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.198273760028.259302...) which gets printed on a few sites online here and there. I was much more into it a couple years back, but that’s less of a focus for me right now. I do have a Game of Thrones print coming up on shirtpunch on September 22, if it seems like your kinda thing, do check it out (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15257303/shirt_ice_fire....)

That’s it folks!

...And was probably too much already In conclusion, I’m proud to be a member of a community such as BoardGameGeek - despite the occasional out-of-hand pointless debates, the level of intellectual engagement and comradery is amazing. Congrats to everyone for being awesome human beings (unless you’re not), and let’s all make it a better place, for you and for me you and for me you and for me~~~

You can catch me at my blog http://www.tuism.com and on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/tuism, and of course I’m around the corner here on BGG

Poll
2 Truths and a Lie:
I have scars from four canine attacks (one bone deep), but I still love dogs.
Despite doing a perfect Vader voice impression my entire life, I have never watched Star Wars (The original trilogy 4,5 and 6) until last week.
I didn't buy something from one of those girl's worn panties vending machines when I visited Japan.
      79 answers
Poll created by chomoon

EDIT: Sorry I messed up the poll. Now it's better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yellohat
Germany
Emmerich am Rhein
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A geek from the southern part of the world.

congratulation Steve,

d10-1 – Do you have a favorite opera? If yes, which one?
d10-2 – What is the best city in the world and why?
d10-3 - What cd do you now have in your cd player or other audio carrier?
d10-4 – If we would meet one day at the gaming table, what would you propose to play from your collection and what from my collection?
d10-5 - What do you plan playing this week?
d10-6 - What under- or unused theme would you like to see implemented in a game?
d10-7 - What is the best sketch in Monty Python?
d10-8 - Is there a South African or African game that should be in the spotlight this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS Steven!

OK, in 25 words or less explain why Android: Netrunner rates a 10 on your list, and in fact is the only game rated in your collection (giving you an average rating of 10 as well).

Enjoy your week!
Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Steven! Enjoy your week of fame!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Culp Smash
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Steven!
My Q: What was your longest sitting for one game and what was the game? In other words, what game have you literally played for hours or days straight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! So want that Shirt of Ice & Fire!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwh
wCongratulations Steven!w
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Cywicki
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My questions for you:

1. What was your best boardgaming experience yet?

2. What's your favourite book?

3. How was your weekend?

4. One thing you regret?

5. How are you so nice all the time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks @chomoon for the awesome introduction! Waking up after the rest of the world - am gonna have to catch up

ravinck wrote:
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A geek from the southern part of the world.

congratulation Steve,

Enjoy the upcoming week! Nice to see the designer of the game, The Resistance, I played most be the Geek of the Week.

d10-1 – Do you have a favorite opera? If yes, which one?
d10-2 – What is the best city in the world and why?
d10-3 - What cd do you now have in your cd player or other audio carrier?
d10-4 – If we would meet one day at the gaming table, what would you propose to play from your collection and what from my collection?
d10-5 - What do you plan playing this week?
d10-6 - What under- or unused theme would you like to see implemented in a game?
d10-7 - What is the best sketch in Monty Python?
d10-8 - Is there a South African or African game that should be in the spotlight this week?

First, I'm not sure what you mean by the designer of The Resistance? I really like that game too, but I didn't design it!

d10-1 Does a space opera count? Does Moulin Rouge count? As much as I love a good vocalist, opera isn't something I've had the pleasure of experiencing in full blast!

d10-2 The best city in the world is a bit philosophical concept to me... While I really enjoy the concentrated Asian cities like Tokyo and Hong Kong where there's so much adjoining of cultures and the resultant accessibility to anything and everything ever, the claustrophobic nature of that lifestyle is also not appealing to me. And right now we've got a new choice of city in the form of Mars in a few years' time, but that's way on the wrong side of the sociability scale. As much as I'd like, I don't feel like naming a city I haven't been my favourite (candidates there are Vancouver, San Francisco and Berlin), I'd have to say Cape Town. The combination of culture, accessibility, yet non-claustrophobia feels pretty damn good

d10-3 I've been listening to a ton of game music lately, the ambient nature of them makes for very good working music! Among the toppest are
> Sword & Sworcery Soundtrack by Jim Guthrie
> Contingency by Big Giant Circles
> 72 Minutes of Fame by C418
> Gunpoint OST

Besides game music:
> Gregory Porter - great jazz musician
> Dear Reader - South African band, with the most beautiful vocalist (voice not looks, but she ain't half bad there either) ever.

d10-4 I would propose Netrunner Nah kidding, as much as ANR is my favourite game, it's both neither everyone's cup of tee nor is it something pickup-n-play. I'd probably propose a game of Coup, it's fast, full of bluffs and a great insight into what people like in games. From your collection... I would have to ask what your recommendation is! Why would I deprive myself of a recommendation from a well-versed BGGeek?

d10-5 This week is actually a wind-down from a damn busy week... Well, by wind-down I mean I need to do a bunch of stuff (blogs and posts) from the AMAZE indie game festival just gone by (http://www.amaze-festival.de/johannesburg-2013) where I met a bunch of awesome people including half of Vlambeer.

The usual schedule would be more Netrunner, but I've been itching to play some Battlestar Galactica

d10-6 Real-time! I've recently been looking into Escape: Curse of the Temple, which looks super interesting as a REAL TIME board game. While I have reservations about its more gimmickiness and seemingly "less strategic" focus, it also intrigues me that its mechanics are dialed perfectly towards that kind of gameplay. As such it doesn't look shoehorned. The Assassin's Creed Recollection game, being my Real-Time card game of choice for a while, demonstrates how it could work, obviously with digital integration, and it's interesting to see that real-time works also in a low-fi environment with a CD player as its delivery method.

d10-7 Thank you for bringing this topic up! My exposure to Monty Python had been down to the Holy Grail and stuff like that, which would hardly meet your requirements. I'm busy researching it and I'll let you know once I feel satisfactorily learned on the sketches to say!

d10-8 We have a local indie studio called QCF that's made this little dungeon crawler gem for the last 3 years, called Desktop Dungeons - it's a short-play rogue-like dungeon crawler/puzzler game, and it's REALLY good and probably right up anyone here's alley! (http://www.desktopdungeons.net/) check 'em out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SimGuy wrote:
CONGRATULATIONS Steven!

OK, in 25 words or less explain why Android: Netrunner rates a 10 on your list, and in fact is the only game rated in your collection (giving you an average rating of 10 as well).

Enjoy your week!
Cheers!

Because I found out how to rate games on BGG only last week, and because it's a game with enough depth for me to focus completely on

(sorry, 28 words )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incredible Culp wrote:
Congratulations, Steven!
My Q: What was your longest sitting for one game and what was the game? In other words, what game have you literally played for hours or days straight?

Oh man! I hate to sound like "that guy", but... Netrunner! There was one time where I was doing a game jam (48 hours straight of making a game) with a friend, and we met up a day before. Instead of getting some rest and getting ready for 48 hours without sleep, I instead decided to show him Android: Netrunner. Then we spent almost the whole of that day playing the game... Eventually forgoing sleep... Then that 48 hour Indie Speed Run ended up super painful... And yet we still took breaks from art and coding with yet more games of Netrunner. It was an insane weekend. I was hung over on sleepiness.

Speaking of epic long games, I'v been meaning to give Android a go. I hear it's a LONG LONG and narrative filled, exciting game, but we've not been able to clear a day to play it yet. NEXT GOAL.

And, because I really don't distinguish too much between video and board games (a game is a game is a game!), Tetris Attack was a game that grabbed me and a friend of mine for DAYS at a time as we dualed endlessly. It's fantastic (Here's a gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMOBtWyazBQ)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kreikkaturkulainen wrote:

Thanks!!!

So strange, just noticed the link in Chomoon's post to the shirt is broken... Because there's no extension. Here's a fresh image link I'm super happy about it, it took me forever and is THE most detailed piece I've done yet

Link to page: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153232861140029&set...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:

Thanks!!!

So strange, just noticed the link in Chomoon's post to the shirt is broken... Because there's no extension. Here's a fresh image link I'm super happy about it, it took me forever and is THE most detailed piece I've done yet

Indeed it is beautiful. I can tell that you were inspired by 19th century caricature maps - check out http://bigthink.com/blogs/strange-maps for more craziness!

Do you know what price it will be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chomoon wrote:
My questions for you:

1. What was your best boardgaming experience yet?

2. What's your favourite book?

3. How was your weekend?

4. One thing you regret?

5. How are you so nice all the time?

1. I like Thunderstone, I love Netrunner, I love Roborally, but my best boardgaming experience so far has to be my first game of Battlestar Galactica ever. It was soooo much fun, trying to figure out who was or wasn't Cylon, then pushing through the narrative as a group, and eventually I was given the admiral position, which let me as Lee Adama choose the destination that drained the very last bit of fuel to advance my Cylon agenda that I only discovered halfway through the game. It was SO FUN

2. My favourite book is a cycle of books - the Dark Tower Heptalogy (you learn something new every day, who knew that's a real word? ) was an incredible journey and adventure that weaved the real and the fictional world together in an engaging and exciting way, with a troupe of characters who were genuinely interesting and multi-dimensional. It's such a beautiful story! And one that didn't screw up on the ending!

3. My weekend was INCREDIBLE! I'm busy doing up a blog about it, and thought I'd answer it with that, but it's taking too long but in short:

1. We had the AMAZE indie game festival
2. I hung out with Rami of Vlambeer and Sos of McPixel and our awesome Capetonian game devs of QCF Design and Freelives.
3. I got to play some real amazing up-and-coming games
4. Amazing mind-expanding conversations

4. I don't believe in regret because regret helps nothing, it's actually that simple. If I had to absolutely pick something it'd be not getting into indie game dev earlier because of "real life inhibitions".

5. Hahaha! I don't know about nice, I feel I'm just practical about things - flaming and impractical things just don't help anything. I'd much rather create centralised info repositories and guide people to the right things than to moan and moan And if I ever wanna kill someone, it's just much better to just walk away from that interaction, cos the internet ESCALATES endlessly Chill out and eat a sandwich!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:

Thanks!!!

Indeed it is beautiful. I can tell that you were inspired by 19th century caricature maps - check out http://bigthink.com/blogs/strange-maps for more craziness!

Do you know what price it will be?

It should be the same as their usual price, which is $10 plus shipping to wherever you are.

Shipping is a bigger deal for us in South Africa than you guys XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Cywicki
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
Chill out and eat a sandwich!

I will. Thanks, have a great week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chomoon wrote:
Tuism wrote:
Chill out and eat a sandwich!

I will. Thanks, have a great week.

In case anyone hasn't gotten the Sandwich reference, this is where it comes from, and it's a great read

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Verdonck
Belgium
Edegem
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Steven! I wish you a fun week as GotW meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Afonso
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Steve!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bergeron
United States
Sulphur
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudos, Steven!!
The BGG forums would not be the same without you, man!
Your tees are awesome, also! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

Since I've been wondering ever since you first appeared: what is Tuism? My first guess was that it was an idiolect or possibly a belief system, but maybe it refers to a distinctive habit of yours? Or a weirdly specific prejudice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:
Congratulations!

Since I've been wondering ever since you first appeared: what is Tuism? My first guess was that it was an idiolect or possibly a belief system, but maybe it refers to a distinctive habit of yours? Or a weirdly specific prejudice?

Thank you! That is an excellent and difficult question!

Well, Tuism is... My ism, basically! It comes directly from my surname, so if I were as big headed as Buddha I'd say it's just like Buddhism. But I'm not

I've always been lauded as having "my way of doing things" - for better or worse, and often people would say like "hey he's doing a Steven" or "hey I did a Steven without realising". So I thought - heck, that's what it is, I'm gonna ride it

And it's a short 5 letter word that came up right around when I got into Twitter... perfect for my Twitter handle! XD

If I had to really define it as anything in particular, it would be... the philosophy of exploration, of trying everything TWICE, Tu go boldly where no man has gone before... Of puns (good or bad), of giving it my best...

Oh and if I ever get quoted I'd like it to be for:

"If you can find things interesting, you never have to find interesting things"

Guess all of the above can be construed "Tuism"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N/A
Favourite braai food?*

*Can be saffa, asian bbq or anything cooked over an fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulation, from one Steve to another!

Enjoy your week of fame and glory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
badge
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS

Enjoy your week in the spotlight!

Questions:

d10-1 What is your most favorite game mechanic and why?
d10-2 What game are (were) you most looking forward to in 2013?
d10-3 If you could game with a celebrity of your choice, who would you choose and why?
d10-4 If you could add, delete or change something about BGG, what would it be and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.