John Doe
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Okay so I was playing a match as zombie today when the following case happened:

I was zombie and I had been reduced to only 3 planets in a 5 planet game. I had just lost a defensive encounter and had several ships on my 3rd Planet.

Would I get to use Zombies Power to send those ships to another home planet and then flip his power facedown; or would the flipping take precedence?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Officially, the ships get sent to the warp - you don't get a "last licks" use of a power.

Because obviously the Zombie would be overpowered otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Officially, the ships get sent to the warp - you don't get a "last licks" use of a power.

Because obviously the Zombie would be overpowered otherwise.

And it applies to any power that triggers on losing. Grumpus would have been way over the top without this corrective rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Gould
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
What happens when Filth is losing its 3rd home colony? Does fumigation still happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogai wrote:
What happens when Filth is losing its 3rd home colony? Does fumigation still happen?

Yes. Filth's power applies when he loses an encounter, and that determination is made at the end of the Reveal phase. He doesn't lose his colony until his ships leave in the Resolution phase.

And I'm going to disagree with what others have said about Zombie. The text doesn't trigger when Zombie's ships land in the warp; it says "Whenever you should lose ships to the warp, use this power to instead return them to any of your colonies."

So when it's time for me to lose that third colony, I say "I should lose these ships to the warp, but I'm using my power to instead return them to any of my [other] colonies." Then I complete that action by picking them up and distributing them elsewhere. Now my power is gone.

The well-meaning-but-often-wrong FAQ actually gets this one right, when it says "the Zombie's power kicks in before he goes to the warp at all" (emphasis mine).

Whether an alien gets "last licks" or not is situational; it depends upon whether their power activates before or after the physical action that removes the ships from the planet. Zombie fires before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Newman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
what about the claw? it activates when other player plays x card in the encounter but the next part only happens after power is lost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturos wrote:
what about the claw? it activates when other player plays x card in the encounter but the next part only happens after power is lost

Are you asking whether The Claw still steals a planet if he loses his power between the matching event and the end of the encounter? If so, I say yes. When he uses his power, this sets up a "scheduled" or "enqueued" action to happen later. When the end of the encounter comes around, he is not "using" his power again; he is just carrying out something that was mandated earlier, but deferred.

There are quite a few other "enqueued" effects like this. A classic one is Fungus' conditions for releasing captured ships, which could happen several turns later but still must happen even if Fungus has lost his power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.