Hide
20 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Rules

Subject: is the villain a player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cynon Forest
msg tools
Some of the environment cards say things like "Players may not draw cards". I've been assuming that this includes the villain, since there are other cards that say things like "Heroes may not play cards"

There might be something in the forum somewhere, but searches haven't turned it up, and there doesn't seem to be anything in either the rules or the forty pages of errata.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Rugolo
msg tools
The villain does not count as a player. For that matter, the villain deck doesn't technically draw cards either. The environment card your describing only affects the players, who are all heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cynon Forest
msg tools
Is there a clarification in the rules on this? Because that seems way unbalanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No it isn't.
Play a few games before deciding it's unbalanced.
You can still win easily with the environment hurting the heroes more than the villains
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cynon Forest
msg tools
Actually, we have played a few games. And after playing Legendary, I will say this game seems unbalanced and not particularly clear. Just my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
cynon83 wrote:
Actually, we have played a few games. And after playing Legendary, I will say this game seems unbalanced and not particularly clear. Just my opinion.

Unbalanced in what sense?

The game is not that difficult for the Heroes to win. Especially if you are playing with 4 (or more) of them. There are some Villains that are extra difficult (although most of them are in the expansions), and when you use the Advanced villain rules, it is certainly harder to win. But on average, the Heroes should win more often than not.

It is possible that you are misunderstanding something, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cynon Forest
msg tools
It's possible that we're misunderstanding some of the rules. As I stated, they aren't as clear as they could be. But usually there are only 2 of us playing, and we've only played the Baron.

The rules really should include a "starter game" for people to get a feel for the game. High Command has a video out, which explained things very well.

So far as I can see, there is no way for 2 players to beat anyone BUT the Baron, unless they get Lucky. Now, we haven't played all the card sets, so maybe we're just using the wrong cards sets.

We'll play a few more games, but if we continue to lose, we'll just move on to another game until we get some other players who are more experienced to play with us. We don't lack for games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Parks
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
cynon83 wrote:
It's possible that we're misunderstanding some of the rules. As I stated, they aren't as clear as they could be. But usually there are only 2 of us playing, and we've only played the Baron.

The rules really should include a "starter game" for people to get a feel for the game. High Command has a video out, which explained things very well.

So far as I can see, there is no way for 2 players to beat anyone BUT the Baron, unless they get Lucky. Now, we haven't played all the card sets, so maybe we're just using the wrong cards sets.

We'll play a few more games, but if we continue to loose, we'll just move on to another game until we get some other players who are more experienced to play with us. We don't lack for games.

If you are only playing with two players someone should really play with 2 heroes for a minimum of 3 heroes (if you both want to play with 2 heroes that is also acceptable). It's not that difficult to control a second hero

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is unbalanced is you play with 2 heroes, the game is also not designed to be played with 2 heroes, 3-5 heroes controlled by 2-5 players.

Are you playing Villain, Hero1, Environment, Villan, Hero2, Environment, Villan, Hero3, Environment?
This is by far the most common mistake I have seen.
it should be
Villain, Hero1, Hero2, Hero3, Environment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cynon Forest
msg tools
Nope. We have the turn order correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is really designed for 3+ heroes in play.

The rules are pretty poor at explaining the difference between villain, environment and hero card categories but any time it says "player" that means heroes only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the rules are incomplete and unclear, but I think the game is pretty well balanced.

Like others said, you aren't supposed to play with just two heroes. It's designed to be balanced with four or five heroes, and is also appropriate for three heroes. I think the limitation against playing with two heroes was left out of the rules, among other things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
I agree the rules are incomplete and unclear, but I think the game is pretty well balanced.

Like others said, you aren't supposed to play with just two heroes. It's designed to be balanced with four or five heroes, and is also appropriate for three heroes. I think the limitation against playing with two heroes was left out of the rules, among other things.

The rules don't clearly address the number of players issue, but I'm pretty sure the rules are fairly specific about the number of heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Does the villain look like a player to you? When you play Monopoly, do you treat that policeman on the "Go to Jail" square as a player too?

The rules could be written more clearly but come on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
cynon83 wrote:

The game is pretty straight forward (play a card, use a power, draw a card; the cards do what they say they do), but the rules could certainly be a bit clearer on how many people/heroes should be playing--it is *really* difficult to win (if not generally impossible) with only 2 heroes. 3 is the bare minimum. 4 is usually not that difficult to win with. 5 heroes is hard to lose with. If you are playing with 2 people, as noted, both people should be playing 2 heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cynon Forest
msg tools
salty53 wrote:
Does the villain look like a player to you? When you play Monopoly, do you treat that policeman on the "Go to Jail" square as a player too?

The rules could be written more clearly but come on

Hey thanks! That was incredibly helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cynon Forest
msg tools
bakija wrote:
cynon83 wrote:

The game is pretty straight forward (play a card, use a power, draw a card; the cards do what they say they do), but the rules could certainly be a bit clearer on how many people/heroes should be playing--it is *really* difficult to win (if not generally impossible) with only 2 heroes. 3 is the bare minimum. 4 is usually not that difficult to win with. 5 heroes is hard to lose with. If you are playing with 2 people, as noted, both people should be playing 2 heroes.

Never occurred to us to play more than one hero each. I suppose we could try that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is really good but there are a few things to note in advance.

1. There are rather a few variables that contribute to the overall difficulty of the game.

Number of players.
The villain.
The environment.
The heroes used.

you can get a better idea here:
http://x.gray.org/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-difficulty-sco...

As you can see playing with 3 is going to be more difficult than playing with 4 or 5 for instance.

There are a few things that are not included there. For instance it will not tell you which villains and environments are particularly destructive of equipment (making playing Wraith very difficult) or destroy ongoing cards (making most every character difficult).

2. There is also the synergies between heroes that can impact the game as well.

some characters (generally that have the 1 difficulty in the rule book) are well rounded and stand quite well in a group.

If you take too many support characters like Legacy, Visionary, Unity, The Scholar or the Argent Adept you are going to have a really difficult time finding the damage you need to take out the villain.

Other characters like Fanatic, or Tachyon really really really like to have certain other heroes in their company so they function better. Fanatic LOVES having Legacy in the group. Tachyon LOVES having Visionary in the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cynon Forest
msg tools
Echo2Omega wrote:
The game is really good but there are a few things to note in advance.

1. There are rather a few variables that contribute to the overall difficulty of the game.

Number of players.
The villain.
The environment.
The heroes used.

you can get a better idea here:
http://x.gray.org/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-difficulty-sco...

Hey, those are really good hints. Thanks! I'll check out the link you supplied
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LowJack_VA1 LowJack_VA1

Virginia
msg tools
I haven't been playing this game long, but I have been playing other games for years. Here is the way I play SOTM. Unless the Environment card specifically states it's attack is against heroes, then damage is taken by the villain as well as the heroes.

The villains are experiencing the environment every bit as much as the heroes are and, at least in my home, they get damaged just the same as the heroes if the environment erupts.

But, that's the way I play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.