Patrick Ross
United States
Winfield
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am wondering if the remaining Location Deck cards are always banished when Closing a Location.

Here is the relevant rules section:

"If you succeed at meeting the "When Closing" requirement, search through the location deck, take out the villain if it is there, and banish the rest of the cards."

I fear that the correct interpretation is that you banish all the cards in the Location Deck regardless if you find a villain there. I hope I am wrong because a lot of juicy cards go away if I am correct, but that is the way I have been playing.

However, if that is correct there are some locations that indicate further explanation can occur "When Permanently Closed" such as Apothecary, Garrison and General Store. Can anyone clear up my confusion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Your fear is confirmed. All cards get banished except for a villain (if any). There are some locations that will have cards after your close them. For example the General Store states, "On closing, add 1d6 random items to this location, then automatically acquire the top card." So you would banish all the cards then add 1 to 6 items to the location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Smith
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
as I understand it you always banish all cards when you close a location. (except the villain of course)

the way around it is that you don't HAVE to close a location when beating a henchman. of course if you beat the villain with all other locations closed/temp closed the game ends, but otherwise you can keep a location open to continue to explore instead of closing it if you meet a monster that says you can. it will just cost you turns to do so.

semi-ninja 'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So here is a question. Who looks at the banished cards? I know we do, but it feels so painful when some amazing loot was just two cards away! Better not to look I think, but come on, you have to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the deck gets banished. If you want that stuff you have to choose not to close the location and instead play through them all until the deck is empty, then you can try to close it again.

Some locations (most likely the ones you mentioned) add cards AFTER they've been closed, and you can go there and pick them up one each turn.

Thematically, now that all of the monsters are gone from the General Store, you can go there to buy stuff again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ross
United States
Winfield
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a previous thread that confirms my interpretation.

Successfully Closing a Location

Oh well, goodbye loyal allies, beautiful items, powerful weapons, and wondrous spells. Maybe I'll see you at the next location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to not look when banishing all those cards but then pretty soon all our decks had every type of card in them and it was impossible to sort them or find anything...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should look, because they have to go back to the box.

Someone has to sort them, and if you have to draw something from the box later you might just end up with what you lost in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
therealtheshader wrote:

Someone has to sort them, and if you have to draw something from the box later you might just end up with what you lost in the first place.

There is a way to put them back by only looking at the type and ignoring all else. Trust me, I've done it. I must not look at the lost loot as it only leads to loot lust which leads to exploring every location to the bottom which leads to losing. Often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brown
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Plus, you can look sorrowfully at Harsk's player and mutter something like "Wow! That's an amazing crossbow!" as you put the cards back into the box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.