Dan Baden
United States
Berkeley Lake
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
I know about After the Holocaust and it looks good, but long. Anyone else have suggestions?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5475

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If it were truly apocalyptic, wouldn't there be no one left to spend the money?

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones - Einstein

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb

Post-Apocalyptic and Economic game. Well that is a very specific and narrow theme. Besides the interesting one you mentioned I couldn't think of any. PA games went out of style in the 80's dang it all. After playing many hours of Morrow Project and Supremacy, I almost miss the cold war. Made for interesting times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
Dogbreath wrote:
I know about After the Holocaust and it looks good, but long. Anyone else have suggestions?

Thanks!

None whatsoever. Closest thing I can think of is GAMMARAUDERS, also long OOP, and that's really a "brawl wargame' with some minor economics.

I gotta admit, it kind of sounds like an intriguing unexplored opportunity - I personally envision something based on the FALLOUT franchise, but that's probably just me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Baden
United States
Berkeley Lake
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
I like Gammarauders, and Supremacy, but was looking more for a short version (2-4) of rebuilding a civilization rather than creating one from scratch.

It may indeed be a vacant nitch, but is there any interest if it were to be filled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
well, I've got a friend who's designing a post-apoc-ish sort of game- we just playtested the whole thing for the first time last night. It's not strictly an economic game though, it's more like the Dune boardgame- each player plays an individual side, with unique troops/victory conditions/ways of playing/etc. One of them is a 'Guild' or Merchant sort of race, that wins by ammassing gold. I'm sure he'll post something about it when he gets more final.

Lutes- you reading this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I think you could extend PA to different types. Nuke-winter, Asteroid hit, Global Virus, environmental disaster. Each one would have different effect of the progression of the game. Interesting premise I think.

(Oops, sorry, forgot a niche: Rapture)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
omnicrondelicious
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly can't think of one. But it's an intriging idea since it's certainly come up in a lot of RPGs I play. Let me know if you find and/or create something.

.b

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
robot Just re-theme Alan Moon's Mammoth Hunters. Consider your cavemen as wasteland mutants and the mammoths as huge, irradiated cattle. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lutes
United States
Woodstock
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
mb
quixotic wrote:
well, I've got a friend who's designing a post-apoc-ish sort of game- we just playtested the whole thing for the first time last night. It's not strictly an economic game though, it's more like the Dune boardgame- each player plays an individual side, with unique troops/victory conditions/ways of playing/etc. One of them is a 'Guild' or Merchant sort of race, that wins by ammassing gold. I'm sure he'll post something about it when he gets more final.

Lutes- you reading this?

Yeah, the game has an economic angle, and its essential to playing, but its not the main focus of the game. I'm just trying to cram in all the stuff that I've liked in other games and then trim out the stuff that doesn't work. Twilight Imperium (2nd edition), Dune, and the computer games Shadow Watch and Master of Magic are the main influences.

The setting isn't a "realistic" post-apocalypse environment -- it's a little more Miyazaki-esque -- cartoony, and, now that I think about it somewhat like a fable in tone. For instance, here's what the Guild Faction's units look like:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
Jason Lutes wrote:

The setting isn't a "realistic" post-apocalypse environment --

Well let's get real - who the heck really wants that?

"I got 3 Fallout-Laden Mutant Roaches. What am I bid?"
"2 Atomic-AIDS-Infested Hookers!"
"4 Near-Shapeless Lumps of Half-Melted Mostly Steel!"
"6 Jugs of Spit-Fermented Bean Wine!"
"Wait, wait - are these eatin' roaches[/i] or riding roaches?"

Seriously - great look on the counters - looks/sounds like something to keep watch for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wheeler
United States
Ammon
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldmanrivah wrote:
Dogbreath wrote:

Thanks!

None whatsoever. Closest thing I can think of is GAMMARAUDERS, also long OOP, and that's really a "brawl wargame' with some minor economics.

I gotta admit, it kind of sounds like an intriguing unexplored opportunity - I personally envision something based on the FALLOUT franchise, but that's probably just me...

With all the PC to Board adaptations, let me just say that I would love a FALLOT based game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
Talk about a narrow subject!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
cabalzero wrote:
robot Just re-theme Alan Moon's Mammoth Hunters. Consider your cavemen as wasteland mutants and the mammoths as huge, irradiated cattle. robot

Exactly! Same goes for Settlers of the Stone Age, Primordial Soup, etc. Just throw in some of the figures from Zombies and you're set!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.