Popular Tags: [View All]
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group already owns and enjoys Ra on the regular...this game seems interesting...but i'm not sure we need another auction game with a similiar theme...

let me know your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and these are VERY different games. They don't play even close to the same. The two words "auction" and "Egyptian" certainly do not automatically qualify these as similar games IMHO. If you sat a person to play both of these games I don't think they would ever relate the one back to the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bond
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amun-Re is a completely different gaming experience to Ra (and imho it's much better). The auction mechanic is just one part of Amun-Re whereas in Ra the auction is pretty much the whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, comparing Amun-Re to Ra is like Comparing Age of Steam to Ticket to Ride, Chess to Checkers, or Go to Gomoku.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Like comparing apples and hammers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't think people here are giving sufficient props to the depth of Ra, but these clearly are two very different games. Amun-Re is an economic building game which does include an auction mechanic and feels completely different from Ra which is one auction after another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
ixnay66 wrote:
Like comparing apples and hammers.

More like apples and red.

These are two very different games, with two very different flavors. One has auctions as a mechanic; the other has an auction as THE mechanic. One is a quick, luck-driven game; the other is a longer, more satisfying game. One is set in Egypt; the other ... well, it's set in Egypt, too.

They're both good games, but are very different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
We are happy to own them both. Entirely different games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Durandetta
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
These two games are very different from each other for all of the reasons listed above.

I personally have not found Ra (or Amun-Re, for that matter) to be luck-driven. It is much more tactical than Amun-Re, in which you must have a long term strategy to do well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra and Amun-Re both rank in my top 10 (possibly even 5) favorite games. Other than theme, they are nothing alike. The auctions aren't even similar.

Comparing Amun-Re and Ra is like comparing Apples and some oranges that came in a box that looks a little like an apple box. Or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.