Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Benson
United States
Syosset
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't a major problem or complaint, just an observation I made after buying the ladybug expansion pieces recently.

My original Hive set of "bakelite" pieces (or phenol formaldehyde resin according to Wikipedia) is about 9 years old. I never noticed any color change until comparing the original pieces to the new ladybug pieces. It's hard to describe the subtle difference and I haven't tried to capture it on camera yet, but the newer light color pieces have a more yellowish tan color while the originals are more greenish. The black pieces aren't noticeably different.

I also thought the newer pieces were thicker, but I think that's an optical illusion because their corners seem less rounded. I assume these pieces are tumble finished after coming out of the mold, so maybe these newer pieces were tumbled for a shorter period of time. Just guessing there.

Again, I'm not complaining, just wondering if anyone else has noticed such changes in their pieces over time, or between the original and expansion pieces. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Yes, I've seen slight color variations in the white Hive pieces. Not entirely surprising (I've seen similar things happen with other plastic/resin/etc game components created in separate batches over a period of years).

E.g. here is an older thread on the subject of Hive tiles:
Mosquito piece colours do not quite match the base game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Benson
United States
Syosset
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Yes, I've seen slight color variations in the white Hive pieces. Not entirely surprising (I've seen similar things happen with other plastic/resin/etc game components created in separate batches over a period of years).

E.g. here is an older thread on the subject of Hive tiles:
Mosquito piece colours do not quite match the base game

Thanks for finding that other thread. I didn't think to check the expansion entries. It's interesting that someone there also mentioned the sharpness of the corners. Anyway, I certainly don't care enough to buy another base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.