Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Vengeance is mine rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
From the lost journal of Seelah the Crusader of God.

God has called me to this forlorn coast to test my faith but I will not be found wanting. I have been hunting the tricky villain Jubrayl to avenge my sister’s shame. I had word that he was hiding out in a farm house near Sandpoint so I went there

I approached the abandon farm house, the air had a foul smell and I sensed evil as I approached. The front door was barricaded so I peek into a window. My mind filled with horror at the evil spirit that roamed there. I will confess with some shame I was not strong enough to face it and fled to the waterfront.

On the waterfront two Bandits fell on me but I drove them back with nothing but my bare hands and the strength of my faith. My courage inspired the nights watch to shutdown the waterfront, Jubrayl’s brigands would find no more comfort there tonight.

Joal of the nights watch offered to lead me to a spot in the woods where Jubrayl might be hiding. As I entered the woods we came upon a grizzly seen. Two villagers run through with a single spear. I pulled the spear from their bodies as the Satyr returned for it. I gave it back to him through one side and out the other. God provided that one of the poor souls had dropped a mattock and Joal and I dug a shallow grave and said a prayer for them.

I would have been hopelessly trapped in the woods, the trees narrowed like a passageway, if not for Joal’s keen perception but he had gone as far as he dare and left me to return to town. I made my way further into the woods the best I could. I barely heard a swoosh as a small dart struck square in the chest. It bounced harmlessly of my holy armor. The goblin commando rushed me. I thrust with the spear but I was caught off guard and I missed. He rushed me knocking me to the ground, unless you have faced a goblin you cannot understand how unnatural strong they are for their size. My armor protected me from the brunt of it. I throw the spear as he retreated but I missed.

I followed the trail of the goblin for a time but he was moving much faster than I could through the undergrowth and I lost his trail at the edge of a stream. As I approached the stream to take a drink the most bizarre creature immerged from the water. I later learned that locals call it a Bunyip but at the time I was sure it was sent from the devil himself to drag me to a watery hell. I prayed for God’s blessing and thrust my sword without looking. I struck true and the Bunyip disappeared into the murky water.

My goblin friend had doubled back I guess and I took a dart in the side as I was retching what was left of my meager lunch, so disturbed had the Bunyip left me. I knocked him back with my sword but it was just a glancing blow and he escaped me yet again. The attacks of the goblin had shaken my heart more than my body and I prayed, curing me in both mind and body. When he came at me a third time I was ready a deftly put a spear through his foul heart. The rusty blood of goblin-kind stained my cloak and the ground around me.
I guess I had tarred to long at the water’s edge as another Bunyip rose from it’s depths, my mind again reeled from the wrongness of the beast but my sword arm was true. I jabbed my short sword into it’s red glowing eye. The sword broke off at the hilt, it’s foul fishy droll and pale red vitreous eye fluid adding to my cloaks growing grime. It fell back and did not rise again.

As I cleaned myself off I saw smoke rising from a clearing not too much further on. Spear in hand I moved on what I presumed was Jubrayl’s camp. Only my Lord’s blessing kept me from setting off a snare trap well hidden at the edge of the camp. They had not heard me coming and I fell on the lone bandit left in camp like an avenging angel. I demanded to know where Jubrayl and his men had gone. If he told me my Lord might have mercy on him. I am ashamed to admit I was glad when he reached for the long knife at his belt, give me your mercy Lord. I thrust with my spear and missed but caught him with the shaft knocking him to the ground. Once tied up and relieved of his weapon he was much more talkative, he told me that Jubrayl was hiding out at the abandon farmhouse where I had started this little adventure. Why was I so quick to turn away from there? I set the camp on fire and left Jubrayl lackey tied to a tree, he might untie himself before the goblins find him, or he might not.

I made haste back to the farm house and kicked in the front door. I need to rest, to regain my strength, but I could not while Jubrayl roamed free. The ghost was still there waiting for me. I knew my steel would be useless but my faith was a mightier sword and I command the ghost be gone and it was gone. On the ground where the ghost had been was an amulet. I picked it up and the ghost retuned to test me but my faith was still strong. Jubrayl was hiding in the kitchen, driven partly mad by the spirits that had been tormenting him. It was almost a letdown how easy it was to knock him out and take him to the town magistrate from proper justice. I returned to town triumph but exhausted, my sisters honor restored.

Thoughts:

This was my first solo play. I really enjoyed it solo. I managed to win with not enough cards left to fill up my hand. I thought when I ran into the ghost I might be in trouble as I had no way to defeat it but closed the waterfront in one turn gave me plenty of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write up!

I take it you found the spear and used it on the Satyr? But he's not killed with a combat check...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to cause you to be an angry spirit - but I think you are dead. I did this my first game - I played Seoni and was happy to burn cards so long as I had a card left in hand (even though deck was empty). After a re-read of the death rules, my understanding (and correct me if I am wrong) is that you die if you need to draw a card and your deck is empty - this most often happens (at least with effects and enemies available now) during refresh.

I don't know if you can win (i.e. defeat the villian) and the game ends immediately (so you can therefore used all your cards against him) or if you complete the turn (and would therefore defeat the villian but ultimately succumb to your wounds).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
Challst wrote:
I don't want to cause you to be an angry spirit - but I think you are dead. I did this my first game - I played Seoni and was happy to burn cards so long as I had a card left in hand (even though deck was empty). After a re-read of the death rules, my understanding (and correct me if I am wrong) is that you die if you need to draw a card and your deck is empty - this most often happens (at least with effects and enemies available now) during refresh.

I don't know if you can win (i.e. defeat the villian) and the game ends immediately (so you can therefore used all your cards against him) or if you complete the turn (and would therefore defeat the villian but ultimately succumb to your wounds).

I was worried about that. I had a choice, I could have held back a blessing and the Paladin's ability to add a d6 and would have ended the turn with exactly zero cards. The rules were not clear to me. My conclusion was it was immediate as if it was to end at any other time there would need to be a rule saying this is the time to check if the victory condition was meet and there is no such rule. I hated that it bothered to spell out that it ended immediately when the blessing deck ran out and then used the vague when the victory conditions are met without defining what they are or when they could be met.

It bothered me enough to stop the game and post the question, If you win the scenario but do not have enough cards to refresh your hand are you dead?. Every reply there favored immediate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.