Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scenario Goals? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Muscat
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
I like geese
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book states that the scenario cards tell you what you need to do to successfully complete a scenario. They do not in fact include such information however. So... what are the conditions for successfully completing a scenario? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Daniel
Czech Republic
Ostrava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Wies
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In most cases you have to kill the villain. Once this card is defeated and there is no other open location where he could flee to, he is dead and you have won!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
p.18:

Quote:
If The Villain Has Nowhere to Escape to, You Win!: See After the Scenario below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Muscat
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
I like geese
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok... but the rule book states multiple times that the scenario cards list the goal for a given scenario. This is clearly untrue, so why is that written in the book?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...

Object of the Game
"In the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, your party of adventurers
races against time on a quest to defeat a dangerous villain
. Each
player has a deck of cards representing her character. In most
scenarios
, your characters explore a variety of locations as you
try to hunt down the villain
. You need to clean out or protect
these locations so that you can corner the villain and defeat him
before time runs out." (emphasis mine)

Anyway, regardless of what the rules says.

[sarcasm]

What you're trying to say is, that not all of the adventure cards say exactly what you're supposed to do on them?

You mean to tell me that the Brigandoom! adventure card, in addition to not listing a villain and henchman on it (thus telling you what you're supposed to do mechanically by the rules), that it also doesn't tell you thematically that "Someone needs to put an end to their brigandry before more than coins and livestock are lost!" ?

Oh my, the designers must have been out of their minds to not include in the rules or on any of the scenarios what the objective of the scenario is!

The nerve of them!

How DARE they forget to say that the Villain and Henchmen of The Poison Pill are Pillbug Podiker and Poison Traps! How dare they forget to say "Disarm his deadly traps before someone gets hurt!"

[/sarcasm]

Shall I go on?

Seriously... I love that people are actually playing the game and trying to find joy in it, but it's kind of nerve-wracking when people start harping on the game about something, saying it doesn't do something or is missing something... when that's not the case and either they're just looking for something bad to say about it or they missed it and decided to jump all over it.

The game does have some issues... but lack of scenario goals on the cards isn't one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
donald watkins
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
the second scenario in the burnt offerings adventure says to close all locations, you can attempt to close the location after aquiring an ally, thats the goal of that scenario....i believe local heroes is the scenario card i am referring to....haven't looked at the others yet but i am sure future scenario's will have different goals other than defeating a villian, at least i hope so, it's nice to get a break from chasing down a villian every time....unless the scenario card says otherwise the default goal is to find and defeat the villian and his/her henchmen.....if there is ever the goal of finding the shop keepers daughter in a scenario i will definitely win that one quick, as that needy red head has been a pain in my side every time i've played...lol....i dont have my cards in front of me so if i am wrong on any thing i have stated please be gentle! ......modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Muscat
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
I like geese
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not trying to criticize the game or the designers. I simply want to make sure I am playing correctly. I do not think that it is wrong for me to feel confused when the rules state in at least three different places that the scenario cards will list a goal, yet no such goal is listed on the scenario that I played (Brigandoom!). Yes, the Brigandoom! scenario lists which villain and henchmen to include, but to me that is set up instructions, not a scenario goal.

In the rule book, in the section that describes villain cards, defeating a villain without it having a place to escape to is listed as how you win a scenario. Am I to understand that this will be the formula for all scenarios? I am guessing that this will not be the case. Perhaps to be clear, they could have said that unless a scenario card states otherwise, the goal of all scenarios is to defeat the villain while giving it nowhere to escape. It seems that this would have actually been accurate. Rules should be accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
skullcap wrote:
I am not trying to criticize the game or the designers. I simply want to make sure I am playing correctly. I do not think that it wrong for me to feel confused when the rules state in at least three different places that the scenario cards will list a goal, yet no such goal is listed on the scenario that I played (Brigandoom!). Yes, the Brigandoom! scenario lists which villain and henchmen to include, but to me that is set up instructions, not a scenario goal.

In the rule book, in the section that describes villain cards, defeating a villain without it having a place to escape to is listed as how you win a scenario. Am I to understand that this will be the formula for all scenarios? I am guessing that this will not be the case. Perhaps to be clear, they could have said that unless a scenario card states otherwise, the goal of all scenarios is to defeat the villain while giving it nowhere to escape. It seems that this would have actually been accurate. Rules should be accurate.

Defeating the villain is the default victory condition. The only scenario so far that is different is Local Heroes in the Burnt Offerings adventure. That scenario does provide instructions on how to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Muscat
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
I like geese
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you... Then that is what the rules should say
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skullcap wrote:
Thank you... Then that is what the rules should say
It does...

I apologize for poking at you saying the cards don't say what the objective it, but they do, thematically, in the little flavor on the back of them. And the rulebook says mechanically (in the part I quote) what the general scenario goal is. Any scenario cards that don't follow that, overwrite what the rules say with what their goal is.

There isn't a scenario card that doesn't say what the goal is, either by the card saying it or the rules saying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Muscat
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
I like geese
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically describing the goal is not in any way sufficient to convey the goal in terms of mechanics. It would be like setting up a game of Dominion for a group of people who have never played and telling them that what they need to do is become the wealthiest noble person by acquiring the largest holding of land. They in fact need to know how many cards to draw, the order of play, etc.

Being told that I need to defeat brigands does not help me to know what I need to do in game terms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.