Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Melone
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok im confused i understand how to build in a city, but i dont understand what a connection is. you pay the cost to connect to a city but when youre in phase 5 how do you determine which houses are connected are they houses that are adjacent to each other through "connections" or do you count the connection costs you paid as making the cities connected.

this has made me confused and i dont think i made my question clear enough so hopefully you guys can understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hinsz
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit confused by some of your question, but here goes:

During Phase 4 (building) the "connection" cost is the sum of all the numbers in the circles between cities for example given cities A, B and C:
A ---8--- B ---15--- C
The connection cost from A to B is 8, the connection cost from B to C is 15, and the connection cost from A to C is 23 (you might want/need to do this if B is currently full but C isn't) Note that I am NOT factoring in the build cost for the city itself which can be 10,15, or 20 depending on how many people are already in that city

Adjacency doesn't matter, although your connection cost is from a city that you already have a house in, so non-adjacency usually means higher cost.

In Phase 5 and in all other phases of the game ALL the cities you have built in are considered part of your network. It doesn't matter how spread out they may be, they're connected and in your network.

Fixed my idiotic typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goldy wrote:
I'm a bit confused by some of your question, but here goes:

During Phase 4 (building) the "connection" cost is the sum of all the numbers in the circles between cities for example given cities A, B and C:
A ---8--- B ---15--- C
The connection cost from A to B is 5, the connection cost from B to C is 15, and the connection cost from A to C is 23

I think you meant to type "The connection cost from A to B is 8" - not 5

At any rate...

The first city you ever place you only pay 10 (the cost to build there). For each city you place after that point, simply trace the route to the next city, adding the connection numbers as you go. The cost to build in that next city is going to be 10(15 or 20 later in the game) + whatever your trace totalled. Your cities do not have to be adjacent, but you pay more to connect cities that are not nearby. You will also see a few places on the various maps where there is NO connection cost listed between two cities - so connecting these two (or three) cities is as cheap as paying to build in (10,15,20).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
The way I understand your question, the answer is b)
you count the connection costs you paid as making the cities connected.

You pay to buy into a city. You pay the city cost, plus the connection costs, which is the cost to get to the city from any city you already have built in. Once you place your house down, it is part of your network, and, by definition, connected to every other house you have on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Melone
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok adjancey doesnt matter thats the best answer i can get. everyhouse youve place is connected in a network no matter how far thank you for clarifying that (this is right correct) and you get money for cites you can power with your power plants. sounds sweet thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jakemelone wrote:
ok adjancey doesnt matter thats the best answer i can get. everyhouse youve place is connected in a network no matter how far thank you for clarifying that (this is right correct) and you get money for cites you can power with your power plants. sounds sweet thanks

Just think of the cost to make the connection as the cost to actually run electrical wires to that city.

Now, in phase 5, you can power any city connected with wires to your network, which is any city with one of your wooden house markers in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Melone
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you, cleared up perfectly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Barrington
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
>Just think of the cost to make the connection as the cost to actually run electrical wires to that city.

Not quite accurate. Imagine three cities A, B, and C. You have a house in A, build a house in C paying for the connections AB and BC. If you had wires there then connecting to B would be simple as you already paid for the wiring between A and B; when you do build into B you will still need to pay the connection but as you have the right to expand from either A or C would pay either AB or CB whichever is less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To put it in real world terms.

First you pay $10/$15/$20 to build a substation, then you pay whatever the dollar cost is to run powerlines as far as it takes to connect to a previously build substation. A substation cannot be built if it does not connect to another station.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.