Hide
12 Posts

The Resistance» Forums » Variants

Subject: Resistance with four players...? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
duked nuked
msg tools
Anyone tried playing Resistance with only four players?

I know seven people are recommended, and five are minimum, but does four work at all (even if less fun)?

I'm thinking, maybe it will work if the two spies aren't allowed to see who they are at the beginning of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
duked wrote:
Anyone tried playing Resistance with only four players?

I know seven people are recommended, and five are minimum, but does four work at all (even if less fun)?

I'm thinking, maybe it will work if the two spies aren't allowed to see who they are at the beginning of the game.

They don't know each other or the don't know wether they are spies or not?
Both does not make sense to me. If they don't know each other they still can reject every mission and it's an automatic victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It just plain doesn't work - either you have 2 spies who can auto-win by preventing a team being formed, or you have 1 spy and every mission that fails gives you (at least) one guaranteed good guy, so the good guys have a flat 75% win rate (guess at who the spy is, then keep them off the team until a mission fails, then change your guess to someone else - provided only 3-player missions get failed, you get 3 attempts to guess the bad guy; if a 2-player mission fails, then it only takes one more failed mission for the spy to be outed)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a bit with 3 good 1 evil. Evil has never won. You could modify the rules about voting to make it so that no one wins if it goes past 5 votes if you want to try 2-2. You could also try it so there are guaranteed 2 good and 1 or 2 bad, with bad blind to each other.

You should also consider playing One Night Werewolf instead, which is amazing at 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have been thinking about this for a bit since my last post. One of the innovations One Night Werewolf has given to this type of game is that it adds more bad guys (so it can be 2-2) but makes that some sort of penalty as well.

So let me take a step back and explain the 4p variant I have played in the past and how you might mod it given the rules to One Night Werewolf.

In the 4p variant I've played, it's 3 good and 1 evil. All 5 missions are 3 people. You MUST send all 4 people in the game on at least one mission.

So for instance if M1 goes and it's p1, p2, p3, and it passes, then you may resend the same group for M2, but on M3, it has to include p4.

So, this is well and good and I think it is a requirement for 4p Resistance.

The way you modify it is like so...

You construct the deck of roles in the foloowing manner:
- add in two rebel cards face down to the role deck (which is empty at the start)
- take two spies and one rebel card, shuffle these, then add two of these cards to the role deck
- shuffle the role deck and deal the 4 roles to players

Now there might be 3-1, or 2-2. Spies do not get a night phase to see each other.

In order to prevent the two spies voting down every single mission, what you do is institute the following rule:

If the x.5 mission proposal is voted down and there are two spies in the game, then the spies lose and the rebels win. If, instead, there is only one spy in the game and the x.5 is voted down, then the lone spy wins and the rebels lose.

I think that will prevent either side from rigging the votes to ensure a win for their side. As a rebel, you can never 100% be certain if there are two spies or not, so you won't ever try to rig the vote. If there is only 1 spy, you cannot rig the vote by yourself, and any attemp to rig the vote with your spy bud will cause you to lose.

So, what do you think? Does this sound like it would work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see how it will work.

But, you can play Ultimate Werewolf: Inquisition with 3+. Not exactly the same as Resistance, but similar hidden role game.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
So I ran my ideas by a bunch of hardcore players (in a different thread, you can see the discussion here: Re: Resistance Online - Waiting List) and we realized that you can't really make spies blind to each other, since that would mean that any double fail means an auto-loss for spies.

So, fine, make spies not be blind. This allows for an interesting scenario in which you're a lone spy and "are convinced that there are two spies", so you try to convince at least one other rebel to vote down a x.5 proposal, thus winning you the game. I like it!

We are planning on running a few tests of this setup on the Resistance Play By Forum forums, so please come visit us in the linked to thread if you want to participate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duked nuked
msg tools
Thanks for your input, guys!

And Clyde, I will follow your linked thread with interest!

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to read this as well! PBF 96: Four-player test game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So with 2 spies, the Resistance only wins if the spies are incompetent enough never to fail any missions, or if they call the whole thing off by rejecting a fifth proposal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
So with 2 spies, the Resistance only wins if the spies are incompetent enough never to fail any missions, or if they call the whole thing off by rejecting a fifth proposal?
That's correct...the rebels need to realize that there are two spies and reject a Hammer proposal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duked nuked
msg tools
Robert Stewart wrote:
> "It just plain doesn't work - either you have 2 spies who can auto-win by preventing a team being formed"

Regarding the problem with two spies rejecting every mission proposal, and thus winning, what about these two suggestions?

-either: the leader (who's selecting the team) is not allowed to vote. Thus only three players can vote at any mission proposal.

-or: if a mission is rejected three times, the outcome of the fourth voting is randomized.

How about that?

Yes - the above is a result from brainstorming... From a Resistance novice, so my ideas might seem stupid to everyone else.

---

I'm also following Clyde's four player game with interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.