Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I enjoy playing Oceania and have played it about 20 times. We played three times on March 14 and once on March 15. We are quite evenly matched, although our scores don't always reflect that.

In the first game, Penny secured some smaller islands, while I concentrated on what turned out to be two very large islands. Unfortunately one was near the top of the board, and was left incomplete (had it been completed it would have covered 15 tiles). Penny got the other large island. Hence Penny won 15 to my -8.

In the second game, there was a much larger incomplete space (6 tiles)on a very large island so no one got the points on that one. Thus the game came down to leftover smaller island, minus discarded tiles and I won 2 to -4.

The third game involved a complete island of 15 tiles, a full board and no tiles left over. I won: 10 to Penny's 5.

The fourth games was the most interesting. An island of 14 tiles ended in a tie when a surrounded tile unexpectedly finished it. Another large island, which could have been 11 tiles was left incomplete, so an ealier small island worth only 2, won the game for me, -4 to -8.

Large islands near the top of the board can be quite risky because you often end up with empty spaces surrounded by land and the top of the board. I always try to start with the spaces second from the bottom and second from the edge to surround tiles immediately and, hopefully get a decent sized island in the bottom corner started. Of course, luck plays a role here, but at worst it is a quickly surrounded tile, something it's always worth trying for. I tried to change things up in the early stages of the game by sometimes starting a tile or two on different sides and sometimes building on my opponents first tile. building from different directions helps to lessen the chance of unappealing starting points, at least early in the game.

All considered they were fun games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Ames
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ccarlet1 wrote:
I always try to start with the spaces second from the bottom and second from the edge to surround tiles immediately and, hopefully get a decent sized island in the bottom corner started. Of course, luck plays a role here, but at worst it is a quickly surrounded tile, something it's always worth trying for. I tried to change things up in the early stages of the game by sometimes starting a tile or two on different sides and sometimes building on my opponents first tile. Building from different directions helps to lessen the chance of unappealing starting points, at least early in the game.

Amen! It's important to explore from a number of different places, and just as important to explore into the center of the board when possible. Doing so open up opportunities for the other player, but also for yourself. I've found with this game that trying to cut off the other player's opportunities to explore too soon just limits my own.

Regards,

-Drew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.