Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kalle Malmioja
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an entry for the 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest.

You're the Sidekick

You all know that the detectives don't do the real work. It is us the sidekicks, who really grind the clues and work the trail. All the while the big shot detectives take the fame. Sigh, but I don't mind. I just want to catch the bad guys.

You're the Sidekick is a Guess Who puzzle game. You are an assistant to a famous detective. Your job is to solve the clue puzzles that has been left after the crime. The game is played with four card decks (Location, Detective, Puzzle and Suspect), 4 or 5 colored dice (think Qwixx dice) and a puzzle board.

Game flow is somewhat like this:

Suspect deck comprises of 15 suspects with unique four features. All together six different features, 4 feature cards and some dummy cards to add difficulty. When the 4 features have been found with the suspect that matches them you have solved the case and won. If you're not able to go through the deck you lose.

Draw first from the location deck. The detective tells where you are going with him. Most of the locations will give you an bonus on your puzzles. Locations can be something like the crime scene, movie theater, office and police station.

Second draw from the detective deck. This is how much time (moves) you will have to do your puzzles or something else the whimsical detective chooses.

Third draw from the puzzle deck.

For now I have three types of puzzles figured out. The sequence puzzle. The puzzle card might have three lines like
1 1
3 5
6 4

Then with your four dice you roll them and try to get the 1 1. If you only get 1 hold it and roll the three again. When you get the 1 1 move onto the 3 5 and roll again until the time is up and the detective wants to leave. Consider this loosely as a puzzle. The puzzle here is with the location cards give you bonuses like a pair is wild or similar. The lower you go on the sequence the more cards you can draw from the suspect deck.

The second puzzle is scales puzzle. First roll your dice on the scales side of the puzzle board however you want. Then the puzzle card tells which dice is heavier/lighter or similar and you have to balance the scale. How many cards you draw from the suspect deck depends on how close you get to balance the scales.

The third puzzle is a movement puzzle. You have a grid with 12 places (4x4 with the corners taken out). Place your dice on the grid side of the puzzle board so that the dice don't touch each other. Then from the puzzle deck you get the right places for each color die in the grid. The more on the right place the more cards you draw once again from the suspect deck.

There will be somekind of bonus when you solve the puzzle before the time runs out.

The game should be played around the 15-30 minutes mark. Haven't tested the whole game yet.

I'm testing the puzzles first and try to think more puzzle types. Then comes the location bonuses.

So, what are your initial thoughts about this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] You're the sidekick - Idea Phase/Initial playtesting
Cool idea! I've wondered how to make puzzles that would be replayable. I always liked the Legend of zelda and those puzzles were fun to solve, but once you had them, you had them. Good concept!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalle Malmioja
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going along nicely. I've uploaded the rules draft here. This is to get the feel of the game and attitude I'm going for.

Please note that it is my intention to keep this game light and easy. I started playtesting using cardwarden and the components should be here next week. Here's a preview of an investigate card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
The entry deadline for the 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest is Midnight (MST) October 5th. Will this game be complete by that time? If not, the game will be removed from the entry list but will be eligible to be entered in next year's contest.

Thanks! I hope to see more about this game soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalle Malmioja
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I had all the components and tested the game with cardwarden I didn't have time to put all together for you. We had a baby one month ago and he took our time quite efficiently away. Maybe next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
congrats on the new gamer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls