Matthew Bachtold
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Three adventurers are drawn to the town of Sandpoint, and decide to join together and aid the villagers while sharpening their skills for the greater destiny that lies before them.
(I’ll be including some commentary on decisions and game mechanics as I go along, I’m including only the memorable explorations, and adjusting some of the timing to make the storyline coherent)

The trio’s first task is to deal with an influx of bandits. Kyra and Valeros head to an abandoned farmhouse, looking for clues. Valeros stumbles across a locked chest, and gleefully prepares to bash it open. Kyra casts a divine guidance to direct his aim, and the chest yields up a handful of potions, a pair of elven boots and a swarm of angry rats.
Valeros recoils in disgust, grabbing a grey rock out of the chest. Kyra reaches out to grab his arm, “Wait, I think that’s a…” but it is too late, the ignorant warrior has already thrown the blast stone at the rats. The explosion sends them scurrying into the darkness, and also shatters the potion bottles, leaving Kyra looking sadly at the magical liquid seeping into the dusty floorboards.
Finding nothing else useful in the farmhouse, Valeros headed back to town to find Seoni, while Kyra decided to take one more look around the back fields. However, a mischevious Satyr took this opportunity to lead Kyra on a fruitless chase, luring her with the sound of his pipes. By the time Kyra made it back to the farmhouse, Valeros was long gone, and worst of all, she had dropped her mace somewhere in the fields.
(First explore for Valeros was a chest with 4 items, however we realized they would just have to be discarded when he reset his hand, so he used a blessing to explore again, the blast stone to fight the rat swarm and discarded the potions, keeping only the boots of elvenkind. Kyra then promptly hit a Satyr, which no one in the party was capable of defeating. After taking her damage, we decided to leave the farmhouse, and hope to find some way of avoiding the Satyr which was shuffled back into the location.)

Meanwhile, Seoni immediately headed for the local Academy, hoping to add to her meager repertoire of spells. As soon as she got close, she spotted the bandit leader himself skulking around the front door. Was selling his loot to the mages, or about to rob the place?
Seoni was just about to cast an invisibility spell on herself and investigate further, when a bellow of rage came from behind her and an arrow went flying towards Vhiski, alerting him to her presence. “Warriors”, Seoni sighed, “no subtlety at all”, and she prepared a fiery blast to follow Valeros’ arrow.
Caught by surprise, Vhiski fled into the shadows. The mages promptly slammed shut the doors of the academy, refusing to open them for anyone, leaving a grumpy Seoni to follow Valeros back to town. Along the way, Kyra rejoined them, and said that she saw Vhiski crossing the bridge to the other side of town.
(Seoni’s first encounter of the game was the villain on top of the academy deck. This lead directly to our first rules confusion… Vhiski’s card says “before the encounter, recharge two cards”. The Brigandoom scenario then let Seoni draw two cards. One of the cards drawn was Invisibility, and she wanted to use it to evade Vhiski. Since Vhiski’s ability states “before the encounter”, is there still a window to avoid the encounter afterwards? We decided that Seoni could not use the cards she drew to avoid the encounter, so Valeros recharged a shortbow to add 1d4, and Seoni won the fight, closing the Academy. Kyra was able to temporarily close the Farmhouse, which was great, because we could then leave that deck alone, and not need to encounter the Satyr again.)

Valeros flatly refused to go searching for Vhiski on the Waterfront, claiming the cramped alleys hindered his swordwork. Seoni, still blaming Valeros for ruining her chance to enter the Academy, agreed to go see if she could charm some information out of the dockworkers, while Kyra and Valeros set off across the Wooden Bridge towards the Woods.
On their way to the Bridge, Kyra stopped to pray to the gods, and the clarity of the blessings she received convinced her that Vhiski had not lingered at the bridge, but had simply fled across it.
Valeros struck a deal with the townsfolk to close the bridge in return for him defeating the bandits. With the bridge secured behind him, the brave fighter headed into the dark woods on Vhiski’s trail.
Meanwhile, Seoni’s day continued to go from bad to worse at the Waterfront as she was badly bitten on the leg by a disgusting furry creature that leapt onto the docks, and then pickpocketed by a bandit while bandaging her wounds. She limped back towards the farmhouse, looking for a place to rest.
(We found two blessings at the Bridge, which proved that the villain did not go that location when he fled. Valeros was able to recruit an ally, then find the henchman, defeat it, and use the ally to aid his dex check enough to close the bridge. Seoni rolled terribly on her d12s, failing to defeat both the Bunyip and the Bandit Henchman at the waterfront, and decided to meet up with Kyra for some healing.)

While Valeros headed into the woods, searching for the bandit’s hideout, Kyra found Seoni sulking in the farmhouse. After healing her wounds, warning her about the Satyr in the fields, and agreeing that Valeros was “ a big meanie” for making her go down there alone in the first place, Kyra was able to convince Seoni to return to the Waterfront. Between the magical healing and the pep talk, Seoni was feeling much more confident and persuaded a handsome young town guardsman to accompany her.
Valeros ran frantically through the woods, slaying several monsters with his trusty longsword, and finding a suit of magical leather armor one of the bandits left behind. Eventually he spotted Vhiski again, and chased him back towards town.
With Kyra guarding the farmhouse, and Seoni cheerfully setting his henchmen on fire at the Waterfront, Vhiski’s only chance was to make it back across the bridge and out of town for good. The townsfolk were true to their word, and had untied the rope bridge, leaving Vhiski cornered at a sheer cliff with Valeros in hot pursuit. Unwilling to face the warrior alone, Vhiski dove into the chasm.
“There’s no way anyone could survive that fall”, said Valeros as he hoisted a complimentary tankard of ale that evening. “Sandpoint’s seen the last of Jubrayl Vhiski!”
(With the Academy and the Bridge closed, our plan was for Kyra to wait at the farmhouse, and use her buffs and blessings to help Seoni at the Waterfront and Valeros in the Woods. Valeros found the villain first, and both Kyra and Seoni were able to temporarily close their locations.)

Final thoughts:
I was very pleasantly surprised at how easily a random selection of cards turned into a coherent narrative. The difficulty level was low compared to other co-op games we’ve played, such as Shadowrift and LoTR LCG. That could be due to a combination of the beginner scenario, and the advantage of Kyra’s healing. Kyra and Seoni discarded many blessings and allies for extra explores, then just healed the damage. A game with no cures available would make discarding a card hurt a lot more. We are looking forward to playing again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome imagination. Reading this could help players get more involved with the game, as they can picture why discarding cards could fit in the mechanics of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I love these write-ups. The only bad thing is it keeps me from writing my boring session reports and thus away from the GG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.