Subject: Cheyenne-Boise connection cost? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheyenne to Boise (US may, 2nd American edition) costs 24.
Cheyenne to Billings is 9. Billings to Boise is 12. That makes a total of 21.

According to the rules, when you are connecting two cities, you can choose which route to take to get from one city to the other. So...why would anybody take the direct route? Why not always pay 21?

Isn't the Cheyenne to Boise connection cost "wrong," in that nobody would ever pay it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Haas
United States
Edgewood
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of Power Grid isn't handy, so I can't check it, but that might make sense if Billings was located in a different region from either Cheyenne or Boise. Then the cheap connection wouldn't be available unless that particular region was in play.

If all of the cities are in the same region, then that is kind of silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's silly, and 'wrong'. Oops. Not sure if it's a design or a printing error, but they're all like that.

--DHS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play that you can count using the 24 if you want, but of course it saves you a few bucks to go the other way! laugh We always point out to new players that the Cheyenne-Boise connection may as well not be on the board.

-KentuckyKid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rintoul
Switzerland
Nyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I can see the cost of the Cheyenne-Boise connection as being valid and useable. If someone has built in Billings and you have built in Cheyenne and want to build in Boise next it is cheaper to use the 24 connection rather than the 9 plus 12 plus the 10 for the build through cost equalling 31.

Regards

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no 10 cost for building through. If you build first in the city it costs 10. second is 15 and third is 20. If you don't build a plant in the city, you don't pay any extra fees. You only pay the connection cost.

So, yes the cost should be 21 and not 24.

I believe that during development, there was a last minute change to one of the connection costs and they didn't realize that the change created an inconsistency in the connection cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was simply an overview.

Firedemann estimated the costs based on the terrain on a map. Then he checked all connections (by hand / view) whether an extended route was cheaper than the direct route, and changed to numbers in such cases. He did simply overlook two cases (the other one is on the german map, IIRC Stattgart - Saarbrücken).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Still, it amazes and irks me that this and the similar case between Cincinnati, Raliegh, and Pittsburgh still exist after three printings. The similar error on the German map was fixed.

I think I will probably use the file with the connection graphics (Power Grid Paste On Correction Graphics.bmp) and make a couple counters to cover and reduce the direct connection costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hacker
United States
Cheyenne
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironically, while it may be an oversight in the game itself, I can affirm, as a current (and longtime) resident of Cheyenne who travels this area frequently, that the comparative cost for a Cheyenne to Boise conenction makes sense in the real world given the actual terrain between here and Boise. (Which doesn't change the fact that a correction needs to be made in the game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watkins
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
One work around you can try is to charge an amount for connecting through a city you have not built in.

We've used a cost of $4 to connect through a city and that seems to correct the various math problems but could slow the game down a tad and also slows the rate at which people can expand away from their starting city.

As an example connecting Boston to Washington would now cost $14 instead of just $6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.