Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a variant I intend to try out soon, syncretizing several ideas from others I have seen, and some of my own. Let me know what you think!

This is intended to be used for a full campaign, where each scenario is attempted exactly once, and failure has lasting consequences.

Death is Permanent
When a character dies, set that character aside. No dead heroes may be used unless there are no other options for a replacement. When there are no other options, shuffle the heroes and select a random newcomer to join the group.

No one Likes a Failure
When you fail a scenario, you get to keep your gear and spellbook intact, but those who believed in you may become disheartened. Your friends and even the gods themselves may give up on you. After building your deck at the end of the adventure, shuffle your Allies and Blessings together. Return one of them at random to the box. You may replace that card with a Basic card of the same type.

Evil Survives...
If you fail a scenario, collect the Villain and any surviving Henchmen into a Surviving Enemies pile. You have lost the opportunity to defeat them at this time. The scenario cannot be replayed. When setting up the next scenario, count the number of cards in the Surviving Enemies pile. Add random monsters to the pile until it is evenly divisible by the number of locations.

After the scenario Villain and Henchmen have been distributed, shuffle the Surviving Enemies and add an equal number to each location. When you close a location by defeating a Henchman, search the location deck for other Henchmen and Villains. If there are any, the location is not closed, and the other Henchman and Villains from the location are shuffled to become the location deck.

If you encounter a Villain who is not the Villain listed on the scenario card, the following applies:

- Other locations can be temporarily closed, as normal.
- If you defeat the encounter, you may attempt to close the location you are in, just as if you defeated a Henchman. (Note that the Scenario Villain still auto-closes his location as normal).
- If any locations are open, the defeated Villain will run to a random location, as usual. (Note that since his location is not auto-closed, he may "run" to the same location he started from if the attempt to close failed.)
- If no locations are open, this Villain has finally been defeated. Return him to the box.

At the end of the scenario, if you lose, follow the above procedure for making a Surviving Enemies pile and move on to the next adventure.

If you win by defeating the Scenario Villain but other Villains are still in the location decks, use them for the Surviving Enemies pile. Additionally, any Henchmen still in location decks who are not named on the Scenario card will be added to the Surviving Enemies pile.

(Example: we fail the Poison Pill adventure, with two Poison Traps still in location decks. Podiker and the two traps become our Surviving Enemies pile. Next game, we set up with three players for Black Fang's Dungeon. With 3 players, there are 5 locations. We only have 3 cards in the Surviving Enemies pile, so we add two random monsters. When setting up, we shuffle the 5 Surviving Enemies and put one at each location.

During the game, we find Podiker in the first location. Other adventurers may attempt to temporarily close their locations (like with a Villain). We defeat Podiker and get a chance to close the location (like with a Henchman). After that, Podiker runs to a random location (like a Villain). If we corner Podiker, we do not win the scenario, but he is defeated forever.

If we close his location, we search it for other Henchmen or Villains, reducing the deck to just those cards.

At the end of the game, we defeat Black Fang. An Ancient Skeleton and a Poison Trap are both found in a location deck. The Ancient Skeleton is banished (it is on the Scenario card and thus a follower of Black Fang who left when the dragon was defeated). The Poison Trap is not listed on the Black Fang's Dungeon scenario, however, so it will be the sole occupant of the Surviving enemies pile. Until it is destroyed, the world will be just a little more dangerous.
)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this. I will have to try it and see how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
first response to myself:

Feat rewards should be handed out when the corresponding villain is finally defeated, even if that's a later scenario.

Card rewards are a one-time opportunity. If you lose the scenario, you miss out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds really interesting Scott. I am also giving it a try and letting you know how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLean
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I like this a lot, and will put it to my players as an option. We have been through Burnt Offerings with our characters and are now trying out other characters and varient scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.