Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A 3 Player game of Twilight - Humans versus Naaluu versus the Barony. Original rules with Distant Suns and Leaders. We removed all of the really bad and really good distant suns counters, leaving neutral, moderately good, and moderately bad ones. We didn't rule out probing and razing, but no one ended up using those rules because they seem lame.

The Naaluu made a straight shot for Mecatol Rex and held it for most of the game. The Barony made an amazing 5 point jump on his first turn - ISC + secret + public objective. The Humans attacked the Barony because of a secret mission to take over all home planets and because of the point lead. This came close to fruition but missed by literally one hit on a dreadnought. Otherwise the Barony home system along with its space dock would have been converted (a Spy leader was among the invaders). Meanwhile the Naaluu built tons and tons of units on Mecatol with a diplomat to protect it from ground invasions. No combat occurred with the Naaluu despite them having advanced fighters. The game ended with the Naaluu achieving a secret objective on Mecatol, a public objective, and the ISC.

This game was a little slow by my standards. It probably lasted 3+ hours, but it felt like it was really dragging. I think having each player take two Strategy cards slows the game. I'd say 4 players is probably the sweet spot for this game.

I loved the Distant Suns option. The Naaluu player got the most hosed by them, but still ended up winning the game. I think they add a fun exploration aspect to the game. The leaders were also really cool. We had several leaders killed and one captured and then released in exchange for a DMZ. That leader ended up being critical in staving off the Human attack on the Barony's home system.

I really like the game but I wish that it didn't take so much effort to build and move a fleet around. The Naaluu player was last in the original turn order, so the 2 point ISC did not appear to present a problem in this game. I am still cool with playing the original version of that card although I am looking forward to seeing what the expansion does to address the so called "ISC problem".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Voorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This game was a little slow by my standards. It probably lasted 3+ hours, but it felt like it was really dragging. I think having each player take two Strategy cards slows the game. I'd say 4 players is probably the sweet spot for this game.

Well, three hours ain't that long, now is it? Perhaps you're right about the dragging, but sounds to me you're just a fast player...

By the way, good idea to remove the good and bad counters. Some counters ARE too strong (4 trade goods ?!, my my).

Why didn't the Naluu help to cut up the Barony, seems it would have been to their advantage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oetan wrote:
Well, three hours ain't that long, now is it? Perhaps you're right about the dragging, but sounds to me you're just a fast player...

Well we actually ended the game a round early because we could see the Naaluu would definitely win - he was next to take imperial. No, it wasn't too bad - the game just had a bit of a stagnant feel to it.

Quote:
By the way, good idea to remove the good and bad counters. Some counters ARE too strong (4 trade goods ?!, my my).

Yeah we removed those and the ones with all the 2 and 3 hostile forces. Also, we removed the biohazards. On retrospect though, the free techs are awfully powerful too.

Quote:
Why didn't the Naluu help to cut up the Barony, seems it would have been to their advantage?

They didn't need to. They won the game anyways!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.