Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I sat down Sunday afternoon for a two-player game of Power Grid. The general BGG opinion on 2-player PG is that it loses something when compared to playing with 4-6 players, and I agree with that. I think the sweet spot for PG is its full complement of six. The experience drops off as the player number gets lower, but PG is such a strong game that it's still excellent if you've only got two players.

We played the Germany map, using the red, blue and yellow areas. Amy started off in the city of Essen, while I began building in Dusseldorf. I expected her to move north and east while I went south without any real conflict. Of course, she didn't do that. She started building a line of connected cities southeast across the blue area threatening to trap me in the corner. I was forgetting that you can connect through a city that you can't build in. Normally, it's expensive and a bad idea since you'll have to double back and pay connection costs into that city again later. She stymied my connections at seven cities while she continued to build. I sat and gathered money while she purposely held off triggering the second phase that would allow me to connect to her cities. She finally built into her 10th city and I scrambled to catch up using my stockpiled cash. She had a fat wad of cash as well, though, and in a single explosive turn connected to eight cities (for a total of twenty-one), ended the game, and beat me 11 to 9. (Neither of us had gotten especially good power plants yet - we were hanging back trying not to waste money by replacing plants over and over and the game ended before the really good ones came up.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.