Subject: Wargame for beginners. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Tholén
Sweden
Norsborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about trying out a wargame. Never tried one before though, so i have no idea if I'll like it or not. My main though is Axis and Allies, only because it's easy to get, it's the one I see all the time.

But which one would you recomend to n00bs? Something not too over-complicated I figure, but still with all the main features so we'll see what it's all about.

Suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out:

Memoir 44 – simple figures
Friedrich – Multi-player
Bonaparte at Marengo – Minimalistic and negligible luck
Target Arnhem – Classic Hex and counter game
Hammer of the Scots – Block Game
Age of Napoleon – Card Driven Game (CDG)
Midway – OOP Game

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/734109

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammer of the Scots and / or Bonaparte at Marengo would be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As always, it really depends what theatre/level of operation you want to play.

If you like Napoleonics - BaM is a great choice.

If you like Ancients - Command and Colors:Ancients is fun

If you like airwar try Wings of War or Blue Max (the latter is playable online at www.youplay.it - or you can download a free updated version at www.generalissue.com)

If you want WWII tactical level, try Lock n Load - Band of Heroes or the ASL starter kits

And the list can go on and on... Have fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd take any of theese suggestions over A&A.

Unless of course, you're intrigued by A&A Miniatures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Get Axis and Allies. Its largely responsible for sucking me into wargames, a lot of fun and an easier game to learn than most of the previously mentioned games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd agree on stick with Axis & Allies. It's a great introductory game for the genre and crosses the boundaries of different game types well.

Failing that (and much as I personally dislike the game) Memoir '44 could be right down your alley. For me it tries to be a wargame too much but I have friends who do not wargame to the same extent as me and love the game, yet hate my interpretation on a good wargame (ie historical accuracy angle).

Cheers

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco J. Piña A.
Chile
Calama
Antofagasta
flag msg tools
badge
Insert any witty/stupid overtext you can think of here... I got nothing
mbmbmbmbmb
If you wanna try any hex-and-counter wargame for free, you'd like to check this geeklist out:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

There are many free print-and-play wargames you can try, with some minor assembly required, but worth it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, try DAK2 only 5 maps and 1500 counters

Just kidding: Axis & Allies is perfectly fine but Memoir, Hammer of the Scots etc. will be great introductions as well.

Beware! Once you are into it, there is no return and you will probably end up with the game I mentioned first.

Not even to play it, but just to have it!

Once you are want to increase your level drop us line again!

Go to the shop today! Buy A&A or Memoir or both!!

Go and play!! Don't wait any longer. Your life will change forever!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Tholén
Sweden
Norsborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks every one and keep'em comming!

I'm still not even halfway through the thread I got from cull (thanks!), that one seems quite useful.

I was a bit intrigued though that it lasted that long until someone mentioned Axis and Allies, I started to believe that was the Monopoly of wargames (on the other hand - if it was I would've heard lots of comments for mentioning it myself). But what mateybob and rwould says sounds like something I'm looking for. Or not? Opinions on A&A?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to try an Axis & Alies game, I'd suggest either one of the two theater games as opposed to the total war one. A&A: Europe and A&A: Pacific have a better historical feel to them while being hardly any different in rules and gameplay. That said, the revised version of A&A is a lot of fun, too, but A&A:E and (my favorite of all the A&A games) A&A are better choices.

For what it's worth, A&A allows up to 5 players, A&A:E goes up for 4, and A&A goes to three.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with A&A: D-Day.

However, if you want other suggestions for relatively simple ones, the others in this thread are good ones. The Commands & Colors series of games are all a lot of fun: Battle Cry, Memoir '44, and Commands & Colors: Ancients (C&C:A is by far the best of the three). Very easy to learn and to teach, and particularly in C&C:A, games that reward a certain amount of planning. I find all of these less complicated than any of the A&A games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Day
Wales
Llandrindod Wells
Powys
flag msg tools
mb
Being Swedish have you looked at World in War?

Axis and Allies with a twist, shorter and a great paper/rock/scissors combat mechanism.

Nice toys playing pieces too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk: 2210 is a great light-wargame. Easy risk mechanics, but 5 turns keeps it short and sweet. The commanders and cards add depth without adding much complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Bad News [bnw] wrote:
I've been thinking about trying out a wargame. Never tried one before though, so i have no idea if I'll like it or not. My main though is Axis and Allies, only because it's easy to get, it's the one I see all the time.

But which one would you recomend to n00bs? Something not too over-complicated I figure, but still with all the main features so we'll see what it's all about.

Suggestions?

if you like euro-games get nexus ops. if you hate euro-games get nexus ops. if you never played euro-games get nexus ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.