Subject: Projext Gipf rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Tholén
Sweden
Norsborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I've understood it correct this is six games that combines arbitrarily with eachother in any combination, right? As expansions to each other or something like that?

Could someone explain shortly how it works, how can totally stand-alone games combine with eachother? (Note that I don't know anything about the game play of any of them except very very little knowledge of Pünct, and that I find it totally cool to have hour glasses as pawns.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Gipf is the main game, and the other games can contribute potentials (special pieces) to Gipf. In the full game, if you wish to use (for example) a Tamsk potential in your Gipf game, you play a quick game of Tamsk, and if you succeed you can use the potential.

More info here:

http://www.gipf.com/project_gipf/potentials/introduction.htm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Rasch
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Note that I don't know anything about the game play of any of them except very very little knowledge of Pünct, and that I find it totally cool to have hour glasses as pawns

heh, I've played most of the games in the serie - but it seems I know even less about the games.. Since when did Pünct have hour glasses? That used to be Tamsk

Anyway.. If you plan on buying some of the games, I can't recommend starting with Tamsk. I think it's the worst game in the Gipf-serie. It seems cool because of the hour glasses, but I don't feel it has as much depth as any of the other gipf games.

I would recommend starting with: Dvonn, Zertz, or Yinsh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Tholén
Sweden
Norsborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Denton wrote:
heh, I've played most of the games in the serie - but it seems I know even less about the games.. Since when did Pünct have hour glasses? That used to be Tamsk

I know they're not from Pünct. Those were two separate points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Tholén
Sweden
Norsborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Gipf is the main game, and the other games can contribute potentials (special pieces) to Gipf. In the full game, if you wish to use (for example) a Tamsk potential in your Gipf game, you play a quick game of Tamsk, and if you succeed you can use the potential.

More info here:

Okay, thanks. Seems a bit weird IMO. Is it any good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad News [bnw] wrote:
sbszine wrote:

More info here:

I've got all the series apart from Tamsk (it doesn't appeal to me the way the others do - and it is more expensive). All of them that I have tried are excellent abstract games - although they are all different in gameplay. I have yet to play with the potentials. I would think that if you are using all possible potentials the game could last a long time, certainly longer than I would like to invest in just one game of an abstract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Ben-Ezra
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad News [bnw] wrote:

I love it. In fact, I'm waiting anxiously for the third set of potentials to be released so that I can have a true uber-game of GIPF.

It's all in what you like, I suppose. Personally, I really enjoy the idea of moving between arenas, battling in different "landscapes" to gain advantage over each other. I also like the idea of customizing your potential mix to play to your strengths in certain games or to your opponent's weaknesses. (For example, if I'm playing Ben, and I know that I can thrash him in Zertz, then maybe I'll stock up on Zertz potentials to give myself an edge.)

And, honestly, a game doesn't take that long. In the past, when I've played with potentials and challenges, an entire game has taken between 60-120 minutes. Given that a game of Chess or Go can take that long, I don't think that it is an unreasonable length. The real question, though, is if you would want to play a two-player abstract for that long.

But, the nice thing is that you never have to combine the games. So, try them out and see what you think.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The basic idea revolves around the core game GIPF. Potentials are optional pieces that are introduced to GIPF that have special, conditional functions that are related to their respective game. So a TAMSK potential grants an extra move (tempo), a DVONN potential allows you to stack on your opponent's pieces, and a ZERTZ potential allows you to jump over pieces to empty spots. GIPF is a "open" game, so Kris Burm could apply new features and yet keep the game balanced.

Note that there are no potentials yet for PUNCT or YINSH, so they're not yet fully integrated into GIPF. Also note that it's a hub and spoke model, with GIPF at the center. The various games don't connect directly to each other, but rather they each relate back to GIPF.

I think if you generally are interested in abstract games, or if any of this interconnectedness is even remotely interesting to you, you should try these games. Even if you never use potentials, each game stands on its own very well. I've only tried the TAMSK potential (and I didn't use conditions around it's use, so no sub-game of TAMSK), and it adds a really interesting layer to GIPF even in that simplified application. Just a wonderful, timeless, beautiful series of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I didn't mention earlier is that the potentials are sold as expansions. So it's not enough just to get the games themselves, you also need to pick up the appropriate project sets if you wish to combine them.

Set 1 has the Tamsk potentials:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5202

Set 2 has Dvonn and Zertz potentials, plus extra Zertz rings:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5117

Set 3 (forthcoming) will have Yinsh and Punct potentials:
http://www.gipf.com/news.html#GIPF_set_3_postponed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.