Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
56 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Am I the only one? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought this game, and really want to like it... But after my first two scenarios it feels like I might be playing the same game over and over... I get that I can level up and have my deck modified with new cards... But if every adventure is find the bad dude in one of the locations... I can't say that I won't be bored really soon... Unless of course I bluster have to play longer and the adventures change?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a sentiment among some. You will find their posts by simply browsing for them. Many disagree. Whatever you like, you like. You can't force it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien A
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer has mentioned that one scenario per adventure breaks the standard "fight monsters, get loot, kill bad guy" structure in some way.

You have that in the Poison Pill: it takes place in a small town which the evil alchemist has rigged with traps. You get to recruit a bunch of allies and "buy" (acquire) new boons while avoiding the traps he left behind.

In Burnt Offerings, one of the scenarios involves the heroes trying to save a village from a flood.

I'm sure the next Adventure Path -- whenever it comes out -- will offer more variety in challenges and effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Smith
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
honestly, as this is the base set, the first try of the game, I am giving it the benefit of the doubt.

I have been reading the paizo message boards and NUMEROUS times I have seen people posting ideas for scenarios or cool new ways to play scenarios and then Vic or Mike come along and post "then you are going to enjoy Adventure Path #" so I have a feeling that while this first base set and adventure was made to be semi-straight forward and maybe little easy, that they have some very imaginative people thinking of new ways to make the game varied.

gotta remember that this is a new game, and they couldn't fiddle with the idea's of the gameplay as much because they had to play it safer spending that much R&D/money on putting it out. now that it seems successful I am sure lots of idea's are going to come into play.

so since you have bought it, maybe just put it away for now, but if you did have some fun, just keep a look out for the other adventure decks and how much variation is in them when they get released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Angell
msg tools
i have a feeling before its all said and done we are going to see an " advanced" rules set for people that are craving a more complex game.

i think as base set that is supposed to introduce you to the core concepts of the game its fine. i find myself wanting more but then ive been playing games with complex rules all my life. i brought it over to game night at my parents house and taught my mom and stepfather who only knew what dnd was in name and they picked up the game instantly. it wasnt really my mom's cup of tea but by the end she was reminding me to flip a new blessing and playing my stepfather's hand for him because she felt he was taking too long

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hess
United States
La Selva Beach (Santa Cruz)
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(TL;DR summary: it gets better with more players/characters)

I posted a much lengthier reply in a 'nay-sayers' thread a few weeks ago that essentially echoed your misgivings of the game. I love solo games, and had only played it solo using a single character and it seemed way to easy, and not really a lot of fun. One poster told me to re-evaluate after playing, with words to the effect of, 'my trusted group of gaming friends'. I have sort of done that, and played with one other person and the WHOLE game changed for me. Caveat, I have a strong RPG background, so I enjoy suspending disbelief and seeing where the story takes me, if at all possible.

For starters, shared success and failures spawned creative storytelling, not a lot mind you, but enough that it suddenly started being fun! Having two players (or simply two characters) also changes the dynamics of the game since each player only gets 15 turns, the need to actually burn cards or find combos that give you an extra explore really become necessary. I was actually so compelled to beat that stinkin' dragon who had for whatever reason whooped us in 3 of the 4 possible locations, I actually lost sight of the game rules (that would allow me to 'quit' the scenario and try again) and pushed it at the end of the game, so desperate for a victory I gambled and lost; my character died. I had totally forgotten that it was a fairly dry (mechanically) and repetitive game, and became lost in the fun of the scenario, which yes, was a "hunt the Big Bad in one of the decks" game, but it was a blast.

My recommendation for this game is absolutely to play with 'trusted gaming friends' and I'm fairly certain you will enjoy it much more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coriolis wrote:
The designer has mentioned that one scenario per adventure breaks the standard "fight monsters, get loot, kill bad guy" structure in some way.

You have that in the Poison Pill: it takes place in a small town which the evil alchemist has rigged with traps. You get to recruit a bunch of allies and "buy" (acquire) new boons while avoiding the traps he left behind.

Although mechanically Poison Pill still fits the same shape as the other scenarios (find henchmen/close locations, find villain and defeat him with a check), I was surprised at how different PP was to the next scenario. PP was basically a shopping trip with bit of peril and uncertainty thrown in; hunting for Black Fang was a dangerous fight to the death. What the different location cards do, and how the different location decks are made up, creates a fair bit of variety; so much so that "find villain and kill him" is only a small part of the story.

But I'd agree that throwing in some RP elements as you go along brings a session to life. Especially if you have a dwarf who wants a particular crossbow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rocky123 wrote:
Bought this game, and really want to like it... But after my first two scenarios it feels like I might be playing the same game over and over... I get that I can level up and have my deck modified with new cards... But if every adventure is find the bad dude in one of the locations... I can't say that I won't be bored really soon... Unless of course I bluster have to play longer and the adventures change?

You're not alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Søgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogMcK wrote:
Rocky123 wrote:

You're not alone.

I thought you decided not to buy it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
biggdork wrote:

My recommendation for this game is absolutely to play with 'trusted gaming friends' and I'm fairly certain you will enjoy it much more.

That's fine for you. ANY game is better playing with friends.

However, I bought the game to play solo. A soloable RPG card game was what I was told I was buying. It is, but not a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silentdante wrote:
honestly, as this is the base set, the first try of the game, I am giving it the benefit of the doubt.

I have been reading the paizo message boards and NUMEROUS times I have seen people posting ideas for scenarios or cool new ways to play scenarios and then Vic or Mike come along and post "then you are going to enjoy Adventure Path #" so I have a feeling that while this first base set and adventure was made to be semi-straight forward and maybe little easy, that they have some very imaginative people thinking of new ways to make the game varied.

gotta remember that this is a new game, and they couldn't fiddle with the idea's of the gameplay as much because they had to play it safer spending that much R&D/money on putting it out. now that it seems successful I am sure lots of idea's are going to come into play.

For a (hefty) price. You CAN release a game with multiple storylines. Robinson Crusoe did it.

I'm sure they will have more varied material. If you pay for it.
Quote:

so since you have bought it, maybe just put it away for now, but if you did have some fun, just keep a look out for the other adventure decks and how much variation is in them when they get released.

Yeah, sure. More expansions ($) will fix it. I'm tired of that.

It's not a game design, it is a marketing scheme. I watched a video in which Mike explained all the expansions they already have planned. It's not about fun, it's about tying people into a purchasing program.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chubby wrote:
RogMcK wrote:
Rocky123 wrote:

You're not alone.

I thought you decided not to buy it?

You haven't been paying attention, then. I did buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Smith
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RogMcK wrote:
Yeah, sure. More expansions ($) will fix it. I'm tired of that.

It's not a game design, it is a marketing scheme. I watched a video in which Mike explained all the expansions they already have planned. It's not about fun, it's about tying people into a purchasing program.

I am sorry you feel that way, it sounds like your mind is made up already so I dunno what else to say, or if it's worth it to try and convince you about a game you already seem not to like. that's fine, not everything will please everyone all of the time, though I am sorry you spent 40+ on it to find out you didn't like it. maybe use this as a learning experience to wait for reviews and play-throughs before taking the plunge again?

I like it enough now to buy more expansions and it doesn't bother me that it's just a money grab because the product feels "worth it" already, I can understand you wish it was made different and not a money sink, but sometimes you just gotta say oh well, or make house rules/a game of your own that fit the idea's you had in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silentdante wrote:

I am sorry you feel that way, it sounds like your mind is made up already so I dunno what else to say, or if it's worth it to try and convince you about a game you already seem not to like. that's fine, not everything will please everyone all of the time, though I am sorry you spent 40+ on it to find out you didn't like it. maybe use this as a learning experience to wait for reviews and play-throughs before taking the plunge again?

I watched several reviews and play throughs. Only now are some fair reviews being written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Wuis
Netherlands
Arkel
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mb
I like the amount of time RogMcK has spend in the last week on this forum making sure that everyone knows that he does not like the game. I wish I had that amount of time to spend on things I do not like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Smith
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RogMcK wrote:
I watched several reviews and play throughs. Only now are some fair reviews being written.

what do you mean by fair, the way opinions work it makes every review you watch "fair" because it's just how one person (sometimes a group) feels.

yeah but in watching the reviews did you see and get a feel for how the game is played? sticking an assumption onto a game and then being angry it doesn't meet that assumption is an odd attitude but also understandable.

I've spent 60+ on a game I didn't like before, board games AND video games, sometimes it just happens that way, no matter the reviews you read/watch, one of the reason I like play-through video's that are more prevalent nowadays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wuisch wrote:
I like the amount of time RogMcK has spend in the last week on this forum making sure that everyone knows that he does not like the game. I wish I had that amount of time to spend on things I do not like.

Are only positive comments acceptable to you?

I post to let people who haven't bought the game yet know what the game is like. Your objection to that is...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silentdante wrote:
RogMcK wrote:

what do you mean by fair, the way opinions work it makes every review you watch "fair" because it's just how one person (sometimes a group) feels.

"Fair" means honest. Covering the good and the bad. The tendency is to gloss over or outright ignore the negatives.

"I like this game" is an opinion.

"Most combat rolls require re-rolling one or more dice" is a fact. "Most scenarios have the same plot and victory condition" is a fact. "Some monsters/barriers will be unbeatable by the character who draws them." is a fact. Those facts are what the reviewers didn't bring up.
Quote:

yeah but in watching the reviews did you see and get a feel for how the game is played? sticking an assumption onto a game and then being angry it doesn't meet that assumption is an odd attitude but also understandable.

It wasn't an assumption made by me, but an impression made by the reviewers.
Quote:

I've spent 60+ on a game I didn't like before, board games AND video games, sometimes it just happens that way, no matter the reviews you read/watch, one of the reason I like play-through video's that are more prevalent nowadays.

I like them too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Wuis
Netherlands
Arkel
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mb
RogMcK wrote:

Are only positive comments acceptable to you?

I post to let people who haven't bought the game yet know what the game is like. Your objection to that is...?

No, it's your privilege to do with your time as you see fit . But I would recommend writing a constructive review of your findings. I think that would be a more (time) effective way to educate people if this is the game for them or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wuisch wrote:
No, it's your privilege to do with your time as you see fit .

Then do not mock me for doing so.
Quote:

But I would recommend writing a constructive review of your findings. I think that would be a more (time) effective way to educate people if this is the game for them or not.

When and if I get enough experience to write a solid review, I will do so.

Someone else here has already written a review with which I generally agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Clifford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No game can be perfect for everyone. If you don't like it, then sorry you bought it.

Personally, I think it is great and so do all my friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogMcK wrote:

You see, this is the kind of thing that ruins your credibility somewhat - you mention you want to provide a fair and balanced negative review, but then put this sentence in their.

It's not a game design? Really?
A marketing scheme? How do you figure that one? Is it possible to play this game out of the box and have fun with it?

As for marketing scheme, do you have the same arguments with Legendary? X-Wing? Attack Wing? Netrunner? Dominion? Thunderstone? Any number of card and minis games are designed from the outset to have expansion packs - how and why is Pathfinder any different?

For the record, I have the game, but have not actually played it yet, so I have no idea if it's good or bad - I bought mainly on the playthroughs by Crits Happen & Grey Elephant. Maybe I'll hate it or have massive issues with the game, but let's keep the criticism to actual issues - accusing Paizo of 'locking people in to a purchasing scheme' is frankly ridiculous

Edit:
Oh and for the Robinson Crusoe reference....sure there are differnet 'stortlines' but how different are they really. So still have to explore, gather resources, do inventions, fight creatures etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sniktsnikt wrote:
i have a feeling before its all said and done we are going to see an " advanced" rules set for people that are craving a more complex game.

Can you imagine if they released the game out of the gate in an "advanced" way? BGG would cave under the avalanche of rules threads. We already have a significant amount of questions as it is. I think they did the right thing. Make the system small and contained for now, and grow it out. It's an RPG, there will be new mechanics added. Paizo wants to make money - and releasing box after box of "the same thing" will not last forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRiddler1976 wrote:
RogMcK wrote:

You see, this is the kind of thing that ruins your credibility somewhat - you mention you want to provide a fair and balanced negative review, but then put this sentence in their.

This isn't a review.
Quote:

It's not a game design? Really?
A marketing scheme? How do you figure that one?

From the description of the business model.
Quote:

Is it possible to play this game out of the box and have fun with it?

Nope.
Quote:

As for marketing scheme, do you have the same arguments with Legendary? X-Wing? Attack Wing? Netrunner? Dominion? Thunderstone? Any number of card and minis games are designed from the outset to have expansion packs - how and why is Pathfinder any different?

Aside from some of those games actually providing a deep gaming experience with some variety in gameplay, there is no difference. This is not the only game I have criticized.
Quote:

For the record, I have the game, but have not actually played it yet, so I have no idea if it's good or bad - I bought mainly on the playthroughs by Crits Happen & Grey Elephant.

I watched that, too. Very enjoyable. It turns out that they were more enjoyable than the actual game.
Quote:

Maybe I'll hate it or have massive issues with the game, but let's keep the criticism to actual issues - accusing Paizo of 'locking people in to a purchasing scheme' is frankly ridiculous

If you knew anything about marketing in the gaming industry, you would see it. Do you think Paizo made this to make people happy?

By no means are they the only ones doing it, but that is no excuse.
Quote:

Edit:
Oh and for the Robinson Crusoe reference....sure there are differnet 'stortlines' but how different are they really. So still have to explore, gather resources, do inventions, fight creatures etc.

FAR more different than in Pathfinder. FAR more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogMcK wrote:
[q="TheRiddler1976"][q="RogMcK"]

Quote:

Is it possible to play this game out of the box and have fun with it?

Nope.

Oh dear, this is quickly turning into a pointless conversation then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.