7 Posts

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Blockading Brandenburg Gate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Micha W.
msg tools
Hello,

I have a question regarding the Brandenburg Gate Wonder cause I had some discussions with a friend about the proper use of the wonder.

Is it possible to use an army figure to blockade this wonder? So can I end my movement in the outskirt of the city if it is the wonder itself?
In the game yesterday, I wanted to prevent an economic victory. Therefore I moved one figure on the Brandenburg Gate and my others figures on two Great Persons with a gold icon.

My opinion is, that this should be possible.

On the other hand, my friend argues that this is not possible cause I am not allowed to end my movement on the wonder tile. He argues that in FAQ it is said, that it is only possible to be on the tile if the movement is stopped by an ability such as Communism and you are not allowed to move actively on the tile.

So the question is: Who is correct?

My apoligies, if this question is already answered somewhere else, but I was not able to find an proper answer.

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
I would say your friend were right. Only ability like Communism can stop your army on the Wonder. As the wonder is part of the outskirt, you cannot end your move on it without Communism ability. Still, remember you can attack City as City center is not part of the outskirt.
This wonder causes a lot of problems to me...
Imagine this case. You have like 4 travel speed and your army is at 4 squares of the wonder. Can you decide to move on it because you have a Spy and Communism ? It can be forbidden because you don't have enough move to hypothetically leave the outskirt if your Spy is canceled.
For example if your army was at 3 squares of the wonder, this move would be allowed as you can still leave the outskirt if your Spy on Communism were canceled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blueberryy wrote:
Is it possible to use an army figure to blockade this wonder?

If an enemy figure end their movement on Brandenburg, they blockade the wonder per normal rules. However...

Blueberryy wrote:
So can I end my movement in the outskirt of the city if it is the wonder itself?

You cannot normally end your movement in the outskirt of an opponent's city of that opponent has Brandenburg Gate. This means you cannot choose to block Brandenburg Gate through normal rules. However, as mentioned above, if someone uses Communism on the wonder square, you will be "forced" to stop there and effectively blockade the wonder.

Blueberryy wrote:
In the game yesterday, I wanted to prevent an economic victory. Therefore I moved one figure on the Brandenburg Gate and my others figures on two Great Persons with a gold icon.

My opinion is, that this should be possible.

I respect your opinion, but it is incorrect. Your friend was right.

Also note: if you have a figure in your city outskirts and Brandenburg Gate, your opponents CANNOT attack that figure (as it would constitute ending their movement in a city outskirts). This means you can use 2-3 figures to completely block access to your cities until your opponent out-maneuvers you or gets flight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micha W.
msg tools
Thanks for your answer. So it seems, that the Brandenburg Gate protects itself from being occupied by normal rules.

According the FAQ it is possible by using Communism. However, I then have an additional question.

The use of a spy as a ressource is always something negative for the targeted player. Can I use then this ability to stop the movement of my own army figure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
What about the case I mentionned david ? Because as stated in the rules, you cannot attack an ennemy figure standing in the outskirt of a City if that players haves Brandebourg gate, because you would end your move in the outskirt, what's forbidden. So Brandebourg Gate ability acts proactively. -> The case I mentionned would be considered in the same way, proactive forbiding if Brandebourg gate...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
Blueberryy wrote:
Thanks for your answer. So it seems, that the Brandenburg Gate protects itself from being occupied by normal rules.

According the FAQ it is possible by using Communism. However, I then have an additional question.

The use of a spy as a ressource is always something negative for the targeted player. Can I use then this ability to stop the movement of my own army figure?

Yes this is allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm writing in the Bible:

Quote:
61c. To be clear, the only way to stop over (and so blockade) the Brandenburg Gate is by using Communism during the movement. When the figure enters the Brandenburg Gate, it must have more steps to use. For example, if your travel speed is 3 and you need 3 moves to reach the Brandenburg Gate, you can’t do this maneuvre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.