Popular Tags: [View All]
Uel McAdorey
Canada
Fonthill
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just reading about the Walker spy ring, and it got me thinking about a simple rule addition for 2nd Fleet: at the start of each scenario or campaign game, all U.S. subs have strategic detection markers on them. I'm going to try a solo game and see how this works.

Comments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it, it is a novel idea. I wonder if that is a lot to put on the US though. If you're playing with Tattletales their surface units already start detected for three turns.

Are you trying to correct a balance issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to play a partial game of Twilight Struggle to determine if the Walker rule goes into effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uel McAdorey
Canada
Fonthill
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I'm not trying to correct a game balancing issue. It's just an exercise to see how such intel would affect the survivability of U.S. subs in the game.

It's an interesting question though. I come from a miniatures gaming background where game balance appears in general to be less of an issue than in the boardgame community. I'm more interested in how a situation plays out than in who wins. If you're worried about game balance, I can see this rule skewing things towards the Soviets.

However, now that you've asked the question, as a player who prefers to play the Soviets I find the U.S. "God boats" to be an endless source of frustration!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you using the variant Soviet sub rules from the General?

It makes the Soviet subs more dangerous as well as adding other interesting tweaks such as US ADCAP torpedoes, obsolete SSMs that need to be fired from the surface and catastrophic damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uel McAdorey
Canada
Fonthill
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to reread that article and try out those rules. Thanks for the reminder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.