Luke Wunderlin
United States
Sylvania
oh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the initial release having the "Rise of the Runelords" extension, how likely do you think it is that there will be additional base-set expansions? Maybe wholly new base sets with different race/class combinations and additional iconic characters.

I always thought that Magic: The Gathering wanted to release expansions by changing "The Gathering" part, but the back of the card and name recognition, they kept it and just named the specific expansions.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i hope they will release many adventures and fast.

Even the bimonthly expansion seems too much of a time to wait!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shaftdiggity wrote:
With the initial release having the "Rise of the Runelords" extension, how likely do you think it is that there will be additional base-set expansions? Maybe wholly new base sets with different race/class combinations and additional iconic characters.

I always thought that Magic: The Gathering wanted to release expansions by changing "The Gathering" part, but the back of the card and name recognition, they kept it and just named the specific expansions.

meeple

I think "The Gathering" was the term for the setting of the wizard duel on which the game is based. A gathering of mages who show up to fight each other. To the best of my knowledge, aside from some fan variants, it has remained just that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shaftdiggity wrote:

It´s been implied in the Paizo Forums that in case there is a new Box set for a new Path, we will probably have NEW Iconics in it :

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2q53b?Beyond-RotRL-characters

There has been no confirmation about which Adventure Path might come next (they won´t necesarily follow the RPG Path order) and it seems Mike has already in his mind where he would like to go.

I would say according to the game´s first reception, there is a great possibility of having a new Box Set next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Miller

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogMcK wrote:
shaftdiggity wrote:

meeple

I think "The Gathering" was the term for the setting of the wizard duel on which the game is based. A gathering of mages who show up to fight each other. To the best of my knowledge, aside from some fan variants, it has remained just that.

Actually, it's 100% true that originally every Magic expansion was intended to have different backs. This was changed last minute before Arabian Nights went to print, and (I believe) is actually why a basic Mountain showed up in booster pack of the set without the other 4 basic lands (they missed it when they pulled the others from the sheets). I've seen the design for the Arabian Nights card backs, and the originally intended backs for the Ice Age expansion is what actually ended up on the starter decks.

As for Pathfinder, Mike heavily implied (if not explicitly stated) in an early interview that the intent and hope was to have a new base set every year. No idea if that actually means new characters, and I'm not familiar enough with the Pathfinder universe to know if they have enough "iconic characters" to do another set of 11 each year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hatfield
United States
Mt. Vernon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no real reason they would have to be iconic characters. For those not already familiar with the Pathfinder universe (which is probably most people), they aren't very iconic anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faded wrote:
There's no real reason they would have to be iconic characters. For those not already familiar with the Pathfinder universe (which is probably most people), they aren't very iconic anyway.

Given the fact that some people are already starting to discuss some of the more "intimate" proclivities of the iconics in the card game, I'd almost prefer that they use new characters. My life would be pretty complete not knowing the minute details of some fictional card or board game character's "life."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than put out the same game with a different adventure path and characters, I would like to see them extend this adventure to the next one, and allow our persistent characters to move on to it much like an RPG campaign . . . characters, boons, etc keep getting better, monsters keep getting tougher.

That would be far more interesting, IMO, than starting over again at "level 1" with a new base set. Far more intriguing to begin at "level 10" (or what have you).

The thought of a beginning, medium, and difficult 3-base set campaign is really appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Poirier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lukeheineman99 wrote:
Rather than put out the same game with a different adventure path and characters, I would like to see them extend this adventure to the next one, and allow our persistent characters to move on to it much like an RPG campaign . . . characters, boons, etc keep getting better, monsters keep getting tougher.

That would be far more interesting, IMO, than starting over again at "level 1" with a new base set. Far more intriguing to begin at "level 10" (or what have you).

The thought of a beginning, medium, and difficult 3-base set campaign is really appealing.

Totally agree, if they plan to reset everything every year they will get my money only 1 year. (a full cycle)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lukeheineman99 wrote:

A fair compromise is to release a new box set and adventure path with new iconics but include a ruleset or method for incorporating our existing characters. I seriously doubt we will be told we have to leave them behind complete for a new box set. Its contrary to RPGs as we know them and, above all else, Paizo is an RPG company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the same time, it appears as if most of the adventure paths Paizo has created so far for its core RPG series are designed to be played through with a new set of characters each time. Mike Selinker also mentioned that their goal is not to have characters "maxxed-out" in terms of their character sheet...you're supposed to have to pick & choose which skill / powers / card feats you have. If this is the case, then the game might not be designed to have characters carry over from one adventure path to another, as you might "maxx-out" your character at some point.

I could, however, conceive of them creating an alternate version of their next box set rules that allows you to make the campaign more difficult (and contain a lot fewer character development rewards), perhaps by mixing in cards from the Rise of the Runelords base set - like Behne suggests. Or, maybe they'll create an "epic" adventure path at some point that is designed for characters that have gone through one of the other box sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hunnicutt
United States
Arden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BxN88 wrote:
lukeheineman99 wrote:

Totally agree, if they plan to reset everything every year they will get my money only 1 year. (a full cycle)

If future box sets are just more of the same but with different characters, you could just wait for the inevitable fan made PNP re-skins. Fallout anybody? Hmm? Hmm? Just putting it out there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
BxN88 wrote:
lukeheineman99 wrote:

I'd rather give my heroes a chance to retire peacefully at some point than have them continue onto level 100+, which would just be tiresome. New adventures, new stories, new heroes, etc = yes please.

"I've been a thief for ten years now, can't I try a cleric???"

That said, if they did create an epic level campaign too, I wouldn't be averse to some extra planar demigod-bashing shenanigans too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any new AP would probably be a start from scratch AP. This allows new players to start there without having to buy all the old stuff from this year's cycle.

But I really hope they make "level 6+" adventurer packs to continue on your old charecters. They could make the level 6 stuff so that it worked with any base set, which would be cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
Any new AP would probably be a start from scratch AP. This allows new players to start there without having to buy all the old stuff from this year's cycle.

But I really hope they make "level 6+" adventurer packs to continue on your old charecters. They could make the level 6 stuff so that it worked with any base set, which would be cool.

Now there's an idea: New base set with 2 different cycles of adventure packs. . . one set of 6 packs for beginners, one set of 6 for "level 6+" characters. That's gotta be the most do-able from a production and marketing standpoint. This would satisfy old customers while continuing to attract new ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.