Summoner Wars» Forums » Variants

Subject: Replacing units in starting setup using a custom deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mihael R
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
You, just sit in the car and keep the engine running. Any questions?
badge
Remember, I'm the monkey and you're the cheese grater, so no messin' around
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

what feels somewhat restricting is that when building a custom deck, one must use the units listed on the summoner reference card.
Is there a recommendation as to being able to use different units in starting setup when playing with a custom deck? For example, I want to completely replace one unit type (which is used in original decklist) with another (from reinforcement packs)?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
mbmbmbmbmb
For official play, there really isn't anything I've heard of for what you're looking for.

The issue is one of balance. The starting setup for each summoner has been heavily tested to make sure it doesn't have an unfair advantage nor a gaping weakness for whatever it's put up against.

All factions have their strengths and weaknesses that certain match ups allow to be exploited, but by being able to customize your starting setup you can very easily make things unfair for either you or your opponent for all match ups.

Alternate starting setups would be an interesting thing to see though. It'd be pretty cool if Plaid Hat released a simple little expansion of 32 or 64 cards (one or two for each summoner once all the second summoners are out) that gave tested alternate starting setups.

If you're looking to do it yourself, it's going to take a lot of trial and error till you hit upon something that's balanced like the current starting setups are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I don't know of anything official as the starting conditions are pivotal to the balance, IMO. While I'd agree that when I deck build I often totally omit a unit that I start with from my customisable part of the deck (these are generally killed for magic ASAP), I think you'd likely be creating more problems than you'd be solving or doing more harm than good.

Just to play though as for a rule set I would suggest:

* Placement of individual cards remains the same. (Same spaces and number).
* Starting units can only be replaced with units of equal summoning strength.
* Ranged units may only replace other ranged units.
* Possibly an additional house rule to handle the use of highly potent starting units, eg units with very long range or that those that can move 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Magno
Argentina
flag msg tools
I would agree that it would nice that summoner had alternate starting setup, but mostly bcause many factions are weak because of their terrible starting setup. Sera is probably the worst offender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.