Popular Tags: [View All]
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that Aldie has opted to work on BGG full-time. I would have thought that http://www.rpggeek.com (which now points to BGG, by the way) would have become a reality it its own right. Does anyone have any ideas as to what has become of this project?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Conus
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
Ladislaus wrote:
I know that Aldie has opted to work on BGG full-time. I would have thought that http://www.rpggeek.com (which now points to BGG, by the way) would have become a reality it its own right. Does anyone have any ideas as to what has become of this project?

While I'd be foolish to say it won't happen, because all it takes is the will to do it, RPG players (and CCG players) don't need a tool like BGG. Board game players play a huge assortment of games, and as such a single huge community has grown out of a shared love of board games.

RPG and CCG players, on the other hand, tend to be monogomous in their gaming habits. They tend to gravitate towards sites that cater to thier specific games, often publisher sites.

The very diversity that makes BGG great actually works against a similar tool for RPGs or CCGS, where diversity just gets in the way of finding info on the narrow selection of games those players (tend to) play.

I truly believe that the internet, though BGG and shared blogs, serves variety minded board gamers far better than RPG'ers and CCG'ers and that's a large reason why board games have become so popular lately. That, and the high quality of the recent games being released.

Very much, IMHO.

-Adam!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have any idea how many different booster packs there are for any given CCG? Or how many different modules and source books come out for an average RPG? Now imagine a separate database page for each with forums, ratings, reviews, etc. Imagine recommendations for different plug-and-play adventure modules based on others that you have highly ranked. Imagine forums for discussing which system most accurately simulates the damage caused by a trebuchet. Imagine file sections filled to the brim with user created CCG deck recipes, RPG character ideas, etc.

I'm not saying it will happen. But I think if it were built, they would come.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Conus
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
That does sound pretty good

Board Game Geek is a great tool for board games. You're right, an equally great (but different) tool for RPGs or CCGs optomized for those game categories would be great, and people would come.

Edit: Imagine a database of characters/creatures with stats for as many different systems as the users cared to support. Adventures could be written, populated by the database, and would be automatically ready for any system that GMs chose to use. The authors would certainly be free to enter in new character/creatures when writing adventures, leaving further conversions up to the fans of those systems. A rating system would put the best conversions at the top of the heap (if multiple versions of the same creature were created.) Each adventure posted would have a % converted for each system so GMs could see how much would it'd be to run that adventure in their system.

-Adam!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildcard6 wrote:
RPG and CCG players, on the other hand, tend to be monogomous in their gaming habits. They tend to gravitate towards sites that cater to thier specific games, often publisher sites.

Can't agree with this bit. Pretty much all of my RPG friends are boardgamers as well. I cannot comment on CCG gamers though.

There would need to be a fundamental redesign of the underlying database to support RPGs though.

Expansions, modules and different rule books and then different editions of rules books are the norm for RPGs where as they are not for boardgames. Just think of Call of Cthulhu for a fairly simple case, or Dungeons and Dragons for somewhat more complex case. Just the rule books off the top of my head (and I make no claim that this list is even starting to be complete)
Original 3 books
Blue box set.
Master set
Expert(?) set.
D&D Player's Handbook and DMG [I think this is separate to the next one]
Advanced D&D.
Advanced D&D II
D&D 3
D&D 3.5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Conus
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
Karlsen wrote:
Wildcard6 wrote:

Can't agree with this bit. Pretty much all of my RPG friends are boardgamers as well. I cannot comment on CCG gamers though.

I'm really more of a RPG and CCG guy than a boardgamer, but I love all sorts of games. I've been frustrated by the lack of a tool as great as BGG for the CCG hobby. When I asked myself why no such tool exists, the issue with monogamy (spelled right this time!) was my conclusion. I do stick by it. While players may only play one or two RPG or CCG at a time, they certainly will play an assortment of board game and non-collectable card games as well. I think that still supports why BGG (as is) works for board games better than for RPGs or CCGs.

Different tools could change the whole paradigm. No question. I'm really less certain of my theory all of a sudden. In a good way.

-Adam!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
Expansions, modules and different rule books and then different editions of rules books are the norm for RPGs where as they are not for boardgames.

I don't think this statement is an entirely accurate assessment.

For example:

The Knizia classic, Ra, has two versions (one from Alea and the other from Überplay). http://www.boardgamegeek.com/metasearch.php?searchtype=game&...

Additionally, one of the granddaddies of block wargames, Napoleon, is currently in its 3rd edition. It was released at different times (starting in 1974) by Gamma Two Games, Avalon Hill, and most recently by Columbia Games.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1662

...And those are just two games off the top of my head.

Perhaps not as drastically as RPGs tend to do (as illustrated so definitively by Karlsen), however, board games also suffer from multiple versions/revisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladislaus wrote:
Karlsen wrote:
Expansions, modules and different rule books and then different editions of rules books are the norm for RPGs where as they are not for boardgames.

I don't think this statement is an entirely accurate assessment.

For example:

The Knizia classic, Ra, has two versions (one from Alea and the other from Überplay). http://www.boardgamegeek.com/metasearch.php?searchtype=game&...

I did say the norm. Also things like Ra are just reprints, they are are the same game, no fundamental change, sometimes no change at all. The different editions of RPGs are different, i.e. the rules have changed, sometimes a little, often a lot. I would not classify Ra as different editions, just different publications of the same game.

Now, Ra versus Razzia I would pay, although personally I don't see the point in the latter - taking out the disaster tiles, what was the point shake

To compare apples to apples, you need games that have been released where there are changes (and I do not mean cosmetic changes like replacing cardboard counters with miniatures). Yes it happens occasionally, Arkham Horror and Russian Campaign being two that I can think of off the top of my head.

However with RPGs, if the game did not go out of print after its first publication you will find most, not some, but most, have different editions where there are substantial changes to the rules. And slowly working my way back to the original point I was trying to make, the database structure would need to change to allow say a D&D query on either D&D to find all the above I mentioned or be able to specify edition 3.5 only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
...And slowly working my way back to the original point I was trying to make, the database structure would need to change to allow say a D&D query on either D&D to find all the above I mentioned or be able to specify edition 3.5 only.

Point taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.