Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure where to post this here, but tonight (March 16, 2006, Thursday) at 10pm (adjusted for timezones I'm sure), there's a Primetime on ABC on game theory.

It's pretty loosely about game theory, part of it is about using shame for weight lose, but the other part is about a pretty interesting game based on finding strangers in New York city who are also trying to find you.

Just thought some of you might be interested.

Kurt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
My wife and I watched this last night, and it was very interesting. The 6 couples looking for each other in NYC was probably the more "game" related, since the theory behind it was developing a strategy based on what you expect the other people in the game to do, but I had a hard time seeing how the "credible threat" theory really played into games. It seemed to be more about motivation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched a bit, but got bored with it. Did the people ever end up finding each other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Yep! Three couples met at the top of the Empire State Building, and the other three met in Times Square. One of the couples, though, made no real effort to advertise themselves as one of the couples searching for others. I don't know what that says about them, but I was surprised when they finally met the rest of their group.

The show was very long-winded, though; it could have been done in a half-hour and still had all the relevant information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robartin wrote:
I watched a bit, but got bored with it. Did the people ever end up finding each other?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Surpisingly enough, they all found each other. Three groups found each other at noon on the observation deck of the Empire State building, and three groups found each other in Times Square (and freaked the young girls out a little). It even surprised the Yale professor. The two pairs of older women found each other first, using almost identical techniques.

Yeah, there was some interesting 'game theory' stuff on the searching part. I wish they had gone into it a little more. But it was an interesting premise that that's how dating and finding people you identify with goes. After all we've all found our way here on the common grounds of gaming, and how many of us have become friends as a result. Pretty high odds against meeting people if you look at it as a purely statistical standpoint, but you factor in the seeking common ground, and the odds against drop dramatically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.