Subject: No updated cards in upgrade pack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Burke
England
Newcastle (aka Geordie Land)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on guys do you expect us to print the revised cards out ourselves. I'm glad you are doing an upgrade pack but surely you can include the cards as well especially as there are changes to the VP on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot understand why they would include as much cardboard as they do in this fix pack and still not include the cards. This will be the major reason I do not purchase this fix pack or shell out the even extra dollars for the fixed edition of this game.
It makes me have little faith that I would be taken care of if the ultra revised 3rd edition fixed upgrade pack comes out early next year...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's strange - given the lengths they seem to have gone to to produce an upgrade pack, it is strange there are no cards, in fact, not just strange, but plain weird.

Anyone know if this is some how a mistake?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also on the fence because of the absence of cards in the upgrade pack. Maybe an official clarification can help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Burke
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
I'm also on the fence because of the absence of cards in the upgrade pack. Maybe an official clarification can help?

It's ridiculous to do an upgrade pack but no cards. If they are reprinting the game with updated cards and manual why not make these available. The game as it is was probably the worst components I've come across and a lot of my cardboard ripped when punching them. I was far from happy shelling out £50 for such a poor quality game (components wise).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrei explains why in this thread...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1032887/upgrade-pack-for-fir...

Cost really seems to be the deciding factor. I have to say that I am inclined to buy the 2nd Edition when it hits retail rather than buy an upgrade that is not a full upgrade!

It's good the upgrade was offered, but it doesn't seem to make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't be paying that much for an upgrade pack with no cards.

Ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly: There is much material in the upgrade pack. For me there are a lot of updates in this upgrade pack and I do not really care about cards, that are not included based on the fact that changes are minor.
That`s my personel point of view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light through whom is splintered from a single White to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still deciding whether to buy the upgrade.

I just shelled out $85 for this game in April. Had such a miserable time punching it that I just threw it on the shelf and haven't ever played it.

Now the game is $50 at CSI... and I learn that the upgrade is $35... and it doesn't come with cards.

Sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elitusprime wrote:

I just shelled out $85 for this game in April. Had such a miserable time punching it that I just threw it on the shelf and haven't ever played it.

Now the game is $50 at CSI... and I learn that the upgrade is $35... and it doesn't come with cards.

Sad.

Yes, I can understand the complains and I would be glad, if the cards would be also part of the upgrade pack, BUT as a buyer of the 1st edition it`s just a good way to upgrade the game on a certain level wihthout buying a totaly new game. I´m very happy that they`ve included the blue prints to the player board and removed the movement tokens away from the board...additionally you`ll have 15 punch-boards of the revised edition....etc.

Honestly: I would be more glad, if they would have also included the new cards, but since the differences seemed to be minor I don`t care that much...
For me it was a clear buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bailey
United States
Morrow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glookose wrote:
I won't be paying that much for an upgrade pack with no cards.

Ridiculous.

Me neither

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Burke
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Braz wrote:
elitusprime wrote:

Sad.

Yes, I can understand the complains and I would be glad, if the cards would be also part of the upgrade pack, BUT as a buyer of the 1st edition it`s just a good way to upgrade the game on a certain level wihthout buying a totaly new game. I´m very happy that they`ve included the blue prints to the player board and removed the movement tokens away from the board...additionally you`ll have 15 punch-boards of the revised edition....etc.

Honestly: I would be more glad, if they would have also included the new cards, but since the differences seemed to be minor I don`t care that much...
For me it was a clear buy.

The cards have different VP on them which is a big change IMO. In all fairness they should be giving the upgrade pack away free to make up for the quality (or lack of) in the 1st edition. I would pay for the upgrade pack but if your going to upgrade it then don't do a half arsed job of it.

This was the first game I really wanted to pack up and send back as I have a load of tokens with rips on them and ones that are mis shaped.

I wasn't going to say anything but when they announced the upgrade pack I thought great but then without the cards and rules what is the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boban Surbek
Slovenia
ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with cards it's a no buy, because why would I pay double amount of money for 1 normaly playable game in 2 boxes?

In my oppinion they shoud give an upgrade pack for free, if they want to remain in a good stand as a publisher. I know that might be costly, but why should we pay for their mistakes. Let the one who made mistake pays for it. That would be fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hanuman wrote:
Even with cards it's a no buy, because why would I pay double amount of money for 1 normaly playable game in 2 boxes?

In my oppinion they shoud give an upgrade pack for free, if they want to remain in a good stand as a publisher. I know that might be costly, but why should we pay for their mistakes. Let the one who made mistake pays for it. That would be fair.

Not so sure about this really - there are many, many board games that traverse editions without providing free upgrades.

Without the upgrade the game is not broken. I guess I was lucky as I knew about the punching problem and opened my copy armed with a Stanley Knife so other than a couple of peeling tokens, mine have stood up quite well.

For me I think if cards were part of the upgrade kit I would go for it, as it stands I will probably just invest in the second edition at some stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boban Surbek
Slovenia
ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be realistic, many demo versions are way better quality pieces than the final product of Exodus. There is no real upgrade in upgrade pack. It's rather an excuse for a lousy deliver of an original game, like saying "we are sorry guys", which would be ok if an pack would be free, but it's not. To compensate this excuse for money, they made some minor changes, and pack everything as a whole new upgrade, for a little more bugs, which is even worse than not deliver it at all, cause now they only deepen their shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why the negativity and hostility? If you don't think the upgrade pack is valuable, don't buy it! If you don't like the game, don't play it! It's that simple.

Whining is only a waste of your time.

The publisher has announced what they intend to do, to the best of their ability, to cater to those who WANT an upgrade. They have stated the cost and the components. It all seems like a fair compromise to me. If that is not enough for you, please keep the attitude befitting BGG.

You can raise your concerns, sure, and you can plead with the publisher to consider your personal opinion. I just don't see why they should when it's done in this manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boban Surbek
Slovenia
ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GalaGalaxia wrote:
Why the negativity and hostility? If you don't think the upgrade pack is valuable, don't buy it! If you don't like the game, don't play it! It's that simple.

The publisher has announced what they intend to do, to the best of their ability, to cater to those who WANT an upgrade. They have stated the cost and the components. It all seems like a fair compromise to me. If that is not enough for you, please keep the attitude befitting BGG.

You can raise your concerns, sure, and you can plead with the publisher to consider your personal opinion. I just don't see why they should when it's done in this manner.

If I'm whining, it's because I have a reason, and the reason is that we all payed for a costly game which does not deliver in term of quality. Should we all just buy a new version now and be politely quiet? I don't think so.
I' m glad the guys made the game, I like the mechanics and the theme but the components are just plain awful. I didn't whine before they announced they want extra money for a nice quality pieces which should be in the box in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expecting to receive free replacements for components that break -- that I understand. However ...

Maybe I'm spoiled because I have played/bought/opened a ton of games ... A large number of games have poorly punched out cardboard sheets. It takes me exactly 10 seconds after opening the box (or, after trying to punch out a single piece) to determine whether some sharp, cutting-edge, assistance is needed.

I have never punched out a sheet in a fashion that left me with ruined pieces! So when I hear that several people have a large number of ruined pieces ... Dude! Take some care when you open a new game.

Sure, petition the publisher to fix/improve the punchout sheets. That's fair. But don't tear through your own punchout sheet with the skill of a weed whacker and then expect replacement parts.

If something breaks due to poor construction (peeling cardboard, pieces that fall apart, etc) I fully expect replacements as well. In fact, I near demand them.

But if ruined pieces could've been avoided with some care, I have very little sympathy.

Now, if there are quality issues with the cards -- they should be included. If there are game altering rules on the cards -- they should be included. If it is merely a matter of changes that the designer deem equal to the original design -- I really think it's up to the publisher. Sure, ask them (nicely) to consider otherwise ... but leave it at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Burke
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GalaGalaxia wrote:

Sorry but people have the right to complain on a site that is all things board games. They used BGG to promote their game so it's only right that people have the right to praise or criticise a game if they have a valid reason.

With games you can't touch the components or really get a good idea of the quality but Exodus was the worst quality components I've seen in a game. The cardboard is really poor and was cut badly so is prone to rips. Lastly some of the tokens weren't cut correctly and are the wrong shape.

When spending a lot of money you expect a certain level of quality and unfortunately they didn't deliver. I can stomach an upgrade kit but it needs to be done correctly and leaving out the cards and updated manual is poor.

If your happy with receiving poor quality for your money then good on you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ruescher
United States
West Milford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The cards should be included if they differ from the original game. The printable proxy's only help those who choose to sleeve their cards.

Also are the political cards now larger sized, if so so printing these would be pointless too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Schulteis
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine anyone wanting to spend $35 for an incomplete upgrade pack rather than wait and get the complete reprint for $50 or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer : I was not an original backer. I purchased the game as soon as my favorite online Canadian Retailer had it in though.

NSKN is surely in a tough spot. I'm sure when they received the original deliveries of the game from the manufacturer their hearts sank. The cardboard components are / were bad. We know it, they know it, everyone knows it. Much like a few others here I armed myself with a hobby knife and spent a few hours very carefully cutting out my components. I'm a PnP guy, so while this was annoying it was not foreign to me at all, plus I had the tools and patience to do it.

I'm guessing it just wasn't the same experience everyone else had. Sure to some it was no big deal and to others it was a horrible experience.

This in itself isn't a big deal to me. Your experience and feelings may be different but to myself, no big deal. Did I like the fact that I had to do this to an expensive game? Nope. Not one bit, but I was just happy to have the game.

What I am unhappy about is the fact that NSKN has released a Fixed Version of the game with better art, less fiddly components, and updated rules in less than 10 Months after the initial release. Game companies release new versions of games all the time. Some are simply reprints, some change art, some upgrade components and rules. This version did it all within a VERY short time frame. This I find to be in poor judgement.

And for their early adopters, the ones that helped them get this off the ground, they offer an incomplete upgrade kit. Simply put, the upgrade pack is not quite there, the cost of it doesn't seem to justify the actual components. Include the cards and possibly the updated rulebook and it would be all good.

It's great that NSKN has listened to their customers and fixed the game. It really truly is. But, unless they do better with this fix kit, NSKN will have great difficulties convincing me to purchase a version 1.0 product of theirs again. Their reputation as a publisher is on very thin ice. And while I don't know for sure, I'm pretty certain that I'm not the only one who thinks this.

The next time NSKN has a crowdsourcing project or announces the release of a game the first question that should come out of everyone's mouth should be "do you plan on upgrading this game within the next 365 days? And if so how will you take care of me?".

Because I have to tell you, I don't feel taken care of.

Edit: Don't forget to thumb thumbsup this thread so it bubbles up to the top. The more exposure about this maybe the more NSKN will think about changing their minds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thechairman wrote:
I can't imagine anyone wanting to spend $35 for an incomplete upgrade pack rather than wait and get the complete reprint for $50 or less.
I exist, I think.

I debated just buying the 2ed and going on with my life but decided to spend the lesser amount. The VP fix for the cards is pretty simple since most of the people I know can multiply by 2 in their heads with little to no trouble.

I would love to have a perfect version of the game, but I have yet to play the perfect version of any game.

NSKN is a business run by hobbyists. If they give away everything for free then they are no longer in business. That is the reality of things. Just ask Microsoft since they have ben charging people for upgrades to Windows 1.0 for 20+ years...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drittz wrote:

The cards have different VP on them which is a big change IMO.

As Andrei already said: "The cards from the original edition are still valid (with the number of VP doubled)"

So it seems to be not a big issue, isn`t it?!
So "different" is in this context relative....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey guys,

next year the company if they still exist will surely publish a 3rd edition so don't buy the second edition nor the upgrade pack...

wait, in 2 years they will publish a 4th edition so wait until then...

wait, in 3 years they will publish a 5th edition...

oh yes you could also ask them to send you everything for free (for the next 30 years) as a reward for having bought the first edition...

everything makes sense here... shake

to be less ironic, it seems to me that there are not many companies that are proposing upgrades and now that they do it, no one is happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.