Subject: Our first session with H&G rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
While on vacation recently I found H&G at an outlet mall store - brand new, half-price! I also snatched up three more games to boot. The next day after we got back, I read through the rules a couple times. I cagily suggested that we try this new game I bought. Happily, my 9YO son agreed, even though he could have played GameCube or watched cartoons. I was also glad because my wife probably wouldn't have played if it was just us two.

After dinner, we sat down to play. I quickly went over how each player's turn goes. I also went over the main ways to score. My son was getting impatient to play, because he suggested that we learn the rest as we go. It was good to see him excited about it.

It was cute to see them both start calling the pieces meeples. As we went, I tried to mention different strategies they may try - but it was my first time playing, too. I was trying to figure out a strategy, as well. There were a few times where we didn't notice that a river or forest had been completed, but we added it to the scoring and removed the meeples after the fact anyway.

It was interesting to see the balance of short-term vs long-term strategies. I wonder if anyone's ever tried an all short-term strategy, where they tried to only scoere with fishermen and gatherers, and no hunters.

About mid-way through the game I was way behind. Then I scored 19 points in one turn and jumped ahead. All three of us stayed pretty close the rest of the game. In the end, though, I misinterpreted the scoring rules, and I'm sure it affected the outcome. I thought that meadows and rivers had to be completed in order to get points for your hunters and huts. By the time I realized my mistake we had already removed most of the hunters from the board, and all those points never counted. We did count up the huts, though. I "won" by about 15 points, with my son second, wife third. They seemed to like it a lot. My son continued playing with the tiles afterward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.