John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Card says there is a -1 die modifier if there is an adjacent country controlled by the other side. Here's my question (in the form of an example): Say USSR institutes a brush war in Mexico, and neither Mexico or Guatemala are US controlled. Does the -1 modifier still apply because Mexico is adjacent to the USA?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Brush War (Card #36)
There is eratta onl this card. It is supposed to read -1 for each country controlled by the other side.

That being said, yes the United States counts as being adjacent to Mexico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But that doesn't answer the question. Well, it might, but it's a wierd application of the rule. The USA controls the USA so it counts? Haven't seen that question come up before, errata or no...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Superpowers are obviously distinct from controlled countries, as they are singled out by the Realignment rules as a separate condition for a bonus.

However, this should be one for the designers. Explicitly, by the rules, I would say no, superpower adjacancies dont count, but the designers *may* have meant for them too.

Personally, I would probably house rule that the superpower adjacancy counts for a -1 until further notice.

-T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wilson
United States
Carsoin
California
flag msg tools
Actually, it is not ERRATA, but a clarification...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
United States
Cos Cob
CT
flag msg tools
Has this been clarified yet? I can't imagine it hasn't. I'm in the same situation now and don't know how to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadim Boukhira
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was about to post the same question. Nowhere in the rules it is specified that superpower home country should count for the -1 bonus. On the other hand, it does make sense for it to count! Why should Guatemala count against the war dice roll in Mexico while the mighty USA doesn't??? I shall also house rule for it...

Why would the Superpower's proximity count for realignment dice, but not for brush war?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the collected rulings:

Quote:
The USA and the USSR spaces on the map count as controlled countries, when checking for "adjacent controlled countries" (e.g., Brush War)
CSW 8398
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@898.fy90c7lCTeL.0@.1dcfd...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoran Rilak
Serbia
Beograd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This ruling should also yield an update to the official rules for realignment, which state:

• +1 for each adjacent controlled country,
• +1 if they have more Influence in the target country than their opponent,
• +1 if your Superpower is adjacent to the target country.

If a superpower is a "controlled country" then adjacency to a superpower would generate a +2 die modifier, but this is obviously not intended, as per the rulebook example 6.2.2. Probably just the wording needs to be changed:

• +1 for each adjacent controlled country, Superpowers included,
• +1 if they have more Influence in the target country than their opponent.

IMO the confusion comes from the fact that the rulebook talks about countries as places where you can add influence and superpowers as something quite different, while the two act similarly for various other game effects (e.g. Brush War, realignment). Would have been better to define superpowers as countries with permanent control and no ability to place influence markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.