Subject: Magic: 5th Edition - 8th Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zack Brown
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
Hello everyone. This is my review based on nearly six years of playing Magic: the Gathering. I won't discuss mechanics, merely the pros and cons of the game itself.

The first time I played Magic, I was enchanted. It was such a fun game with a good, solid system. After playing for a couple of years in middle school, I progressed onto high school, where I began playing tournament-style with friends and oftentimes, total strangers at events around town. That's when Magic lost the 'magic' for me.

When my friends and I would play, we would build fun 'casual' decks and play around, which was great. Once we got into the tournament scene, we realized a couple of things...

a) You can't be original and build your own deck in tournament play if you want to progress past the first round. You have to find out what the winning "Type II" decks are from others, or online, and acquire those cards from traders and sellers...typically a good Type II (meaning current expansion block cards only) deck with all the 'singles' you need sets you back a good $75-100, sometimes more depending on popularity/quantity of those said cards.
b) Even playing casually with other players, it became ridiculously mundane. The same thing would happen over and over again- you play someone with a deck they built which contains a game-breaking combo, and they laugh and snicker and make a big deal about how awesome their deck is. It's just not cool.
c) Booster drafting- a process where booster packs are distributed and players take turns removing one card from the pack around a table- didn't even help the game. It would always end up that one player got the one card that's part of the "must have" Type II deck, builds a deck around said card, and wins the booster draft.

The only way I would reccomend Magic as a viable, enjoyable game, is if you intend on ONLY playing with your friends, and staying away from tournament/league play. If that's what you want to do- then go for it. Magic can be a great game if played casually.

In summary:
Overall: 5/10
Pros: Great game if played with friends in a casual setting, good card art and quality, fun to toy around with casual-themed deck-building.
Cons: Tournament play is costly and mundane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
omnicrondelicious
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, the experience of any hobby differs greatly between the casual and tournament scene. Ask anyone who has tried to make the transition from casual to professional play in say, poker, tennis or baseball. Competitive and casual play are entirely different in all those activities and that's also the case with Magic.

.b

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliot Hemingway
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To provide an opposing view on one of your points:

I have not seen the issue about pack luck in booster draft that you describe. Yes, you can open a bomb. But it does not give you an automatic win. Not even close, in fact.

I often say that you have to be both lucky and good to win a booster draft. You'll still lose if you're a bad player, and you can't give luck a decient chance to happen if you're a poor drafter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It would always end up that one player got the one card that's part of the "must have" Type II deck, builds a deck around said card, and wins the booster draft.

That certainly doesn't match my drafting experiences! Even if one player were to get a card that would win the game outright*, they still have to get it into play - a typical game should go about 10 turns or so in a draft, so the player has only a 50% chance of drawing it in any particular game.

In fact, most of the cards in 'killer' T2 decks are likely to be part of a combination; or be finishers once you have vast amounts of mana available, so are pretty useless without the support cards.

*The only one I can think of that might qualify is Umezawa's Jitte in theKamigawa block, and even that is vulnerable to artifact removal, which is common in most sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leshtricity wrote:
c) Booster drafting- a process where booster packs are distributed and players take turns removing one card from the pack around a table- didn't even help the game. It would always end up that one player got the one card that's part of the "must have" Type II deck, builds a deck around said card, and wins the booster draft.

This is a complete fantasy. Players do not win drafts by building decks around one copy of one card.

The draft portion of your review is obviously not based on you actually drafting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.