Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daren,

You've managed to make this sound interesting enough that I want to give it a try sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Nevis
Netherlands
Amsterdam
N-H
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall it correctly LG only uses two dice when combatting the count's agents, not when fighting dracula himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daren,
You've discovered the secret to playing Dracula the hard way: Do not fight. Do not attempt to hunt the Hunters. Just keep moving as fast as you can. If, by chance, you have an opportunity to take out a Hunter who is at 2 or 3 Health AND the others are a fair distance away AND it's at night, then it's 50-50 whether you should do so or not. Staying in one place to fight or coming back to a place to fight often defeats the very purpose of the game: Dracula running to stay alive and seed vampires around Europe. That's why almost half of Dracula's combat cards are escapes of one type or another.

I'm slightly confused by one note in your report, though, where you mentioned that you did damage to Van Helsing with 'bats'. Bats don't do any damage: they let you move the Hunter in a direction you want next turn. RATS, OTOH, do damage...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mb
Scott Firestone IV wrote:
Daren,

You've managed to make this sound interesting enough that I want to give it a try sometime.

You won't have to talk to me long to get this game out Firestone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcjackso wrote:

Must have been rats, then--the encounter forced the hunter to roll 4 dice and take damage on all 4-6 rolls, I think...

Yep. That's Rats. That's a sweet encounter. If I've got one in hand, I start throwing any encounter that makes Hunters drop Items at whomever has Dogs. Then come the Rats...

dcjackso wrote:
Since that game, I've read your strategy for playing Dracula. Extremely helpful advice, which I'll use this Thursday when we play again. Thanks!

De nada. Like I said there, it helps to have played Scotland Yard a few times (and the old Fury once.) Once you get the hang of it, most people will see why some of the Hunters' cards seem OTT at first play, as a well-played (and somewhat fortunate) Dracula is very tough (kinda like the Overlord in Descent.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.