Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I try to use the top bar - including the search and the log out function - from the front page, I can't make it work. But as soon as I go to another page there's no problem. I use Mozilla Firefox and have had the same problem on two different computers and with a couple of different versions of the browser. Any help would be appreciated.

mads

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have the same issue. The top bar has stopped working in Firefox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zom Bee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mads b. wrote:
When I try to use the top bar - including the search and the log out function - from the front page, I can't make it work. But as soon as I go to another page there's no problem. I use Mozilla Firefox and have had the same problem on two different computers and with a couple of different versions of the browser. Any help would be appreciated.

mads

I can't even log in with FireFox - it's that &^$%#$% Hasbro Flash Ad I'm sure....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: the front page in firefox (HELP!)
Yes, it IS the damn Rocketville ad. If you place the cursor on the menu bar or even the SEARCH box and right-click, you get the commands to handle the Flash Ad. Mozilla thinks the whole top of the page, including the menu bars are part of the Flash display.

I've had to log in via IE -- blech.

PLEASE, somebody turn off that damn ad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Lee
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firefox has a "Flashblock" extension you can enable, which will turn off the ads: https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=433&ap...

The menu worked for me then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Lee
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chomusik80 wrote:
Firefox has a "Flashblock" extension you can enable, which will turn off the ads: https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=433&ap...

The menu worked for me then.

Actually, I take that back-- it doesn't work on the front page, since the ad does indeed cover the top menu bar.

But at least you could navigate to a different page on the site (like a forum page), which doesn't have the Flash ad, and access the menu that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kice
United States
Shorewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I verify the same problem in Firefox 1.5.0.1. Anything inside the footprint of where the ad is supposed to pop up can't be clicked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Anderson
United States
Trumansburg
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ditto for me! As of today and "Rocketville" I can't get past homepage unless I run using IE emulator plugin. The AH ad blocks access to the top BGG "menu bar". (e.g. "Browse > My Geek > Forums...).

I have been using Firefox to access BGG for about 8 months. Until now the only problem has been similar but only an annoyance: some of the flashy ads on secondary pages overlay on top of drop-down selections from the BGG "menu bar". Presumably something similar but the current problem locks me out fromm proceeding to My geek, geeklists, forums, etc.

PLEASE FIX THIS !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Meeple
Denmark
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Try Opera .... just make sure you disable inline frames in Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Content

I didn't even know there was a flash ad on BGG untill it was mentioned here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
I have the macintosh version of Firefox. Everything works just fine for me, and it always has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steen Bang-Madsen
Denmark
Taastrup
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The issue was brought up yesterday here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/103444

Aldie is yet to respond, but I'm sure he will look into it a.s.a.p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get adblockplus and you can find the 'adblock' button hiding at approximately the bottom-right corner of the ad ... but as if the ad were expanded, so it's a little hard to spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ad what ad? I knew there was a reason for supporting that little bit extra this year meeple

Whilst my above slightly flippant comment is one way to stop annoying ads, I would agree that ads need to be road tested before being allowed onsite, since some are somewhat more disruptive than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Karlsen wrote:
Ad what ad? I knew there was a reason for supporting that little bit extra this year meeple

Whilst my above slightly flippant comment is one way to stop annoying ads, I would agree that ads need to be road tested before being allowed onsite, since some are somewhat more disruptive than others.

I've disabled the ad for firefox and mozilla. The problem with test drives is that I have no advance warning on these campaigns - so I have to deal with problems as they arise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
The problem with test drives is that I have no advance warning on these campaigns - so I have to deal with problems as they arise.

Bummer - so much for that idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A simple "no flash ads that expand" rule for your advertisers might be a method you could use. I know I look at the ads anytime I'm in the market for games... I don't think I would have heard of thoughthammer were it not for this site. So advertisers should be reluctant to break rules... and it's not an unreasonable one either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.