Popular Tags: [View All]
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally I play with either small groups (just my wife and I) or with large groups (a group of five or six friends), so I'm interested in hearing your opinions on which games are the best scaling games--games that are just as good for two as for six.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to ride is always good. It can handle from two to five very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coloretto plays well with 3+ players. There's now a 2 player variant available for free download that should work well too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Meeple
Denmark
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Citadels, good for 2 players, a riot for 5-7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have a deeply held appreciation for games that are versatile in terms of number of players. Games in this category that play with two are highly prized.

Games that scale well 2-6 are not well represented in my collection, but here are three...

Richochet Robots (Plays any number of players. Try the turn-based, 2 player variant as well)
Ra
Alhambra (plays 2-6 but many people feel that its sweet spot is really 3 players)

When you go 2-5...

Traders of Genoa
Ticket to Ride
Fossil
Australia
Puerto Rico

There are a ton of 2-4s that scale well. My favorites are...

Tikal
Saint Petersburg
San Juan
Clans
Euphrat & Tigris
Hansa
Die Neuen Entdecker

I hope this helps.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Only goes to 4 players but Samurai (by Knizia) is famous for scaling very elegantly with modular board pieces. Through the Desert and Ingenious (both also by Knizia) have similar scaling mechanisms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb

+1 for Through the Desert, very good for 2 and 5 (though very different...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard (haven't tried to confirm) that Power Grid scales well from 2 - 6.

I also enjoy Atlantic Star for 2 - 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think Caylus is one of the best games I've found at scaling well because it works very well with only 2 players, but also works well with 3, 4, and 5 players. I don't own anything else that comes to mind for scaling up to 5 or 6 players, but Tigris & Euphrates and Torres both scale exceptionally well from 2 to 4 players. While Bohnanza and Citadels both claim to work with 2 to 7 players, I don't think either works very well with 2 or 7 players (or 3 or 6 players for that matter), and much prefer both of them with 4/5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrice Pelletier
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is also one of my deciding factors when I buy a game. It needs to scale well from 2-4 or 2-5. Here's some games I find scale very well up to 4 or 5. Unfortunately, I only have one suggestion for 2-6 range.

2-6:
- 6 Nimmt!

2-5:
- Puerto Rico
- Ticket to Ride Europe: I find it plays better with two than the original due to the shorter routes.

2-4:
- Der Untergang von Pompeji
- Attika
- San Juan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of great ideas here. I'm especially interested in Caylus, Euphrates and Tigris, Citadels, Samurai, Attika, Through the Desert, and Nimmt. How about ranking those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
If the water is not too muddy all ready with too many suggestions:

Maharaja: Palace Building in India

In our gaming group, we get a chance to play a lot of different games. I have a favorites list that is quite long. But, was just mentioning the other day that this game seems to scale the best for anywhere between 2-5 players.

This one is always fun and we play it quite a bit.
The wife even likes Maharaja and she has a very discriminating palette when it comes to her choices in games.
Doesn't hurt that it has great bits either.....

Just thought I would throw this one in the ring.

McGuit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemon
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
You may want to take a look at Elfenland. Our gaming group has enjoyed it recently had those to whom I have recommended the game seem to like it. The game mechanic isn't significantly affected by the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.