Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My company produces a local in house magazine once a week and is always looking for submissions. I have, in the past reviewed the odd boardgame and submitted a picture or two taken by myself.

I am without a camera at present, so wondered if the creative commons license covers the submission of a photo to such a magazine.

The local magazine sells alongside a company wide magazine at £0.10 for the both. A nominal fee that does not even begin to recoup it's own costs, but is rather to encourage people not to take any more than one copy or to leave them lying around.

I do get a 'journalism bonus' of £10 for submitting the article, though this is not my reason for doing so. I'm just looking to promote the hobby and maybe find new players etc and I always end the review by steering readers towards BoardGameGeek.Com for more information etc.

So is this allowed?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would contact whoever uploaded the image and ask them if it's okay.

I doubt that many geeks would say no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Definitely send a geekmail to the uploader of the image for permission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I will do.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Aldie,
I was hoping to find the BGG terms of use to see if photos could be used. I've been asked by a local listings mag for photos right now. It would take too long for them to contact the users concerned (they want a pic before tomorrow). I thought the images supplied to the geek were under an open license of sorts.

Can you please clarify this? If BGG is credited, can the pictures be used outside BGG?

Cheers,
Jon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
The basic idea is that images may be used for non-commercial purposes under the CC licence, but may only be used commercially if permission is obtained from the copyright holder. So using a BGG image for eBay or a magazine would require the copyright holder's permission, whereas using a BGG image on your blog would not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
The basic idea is that images may be used for non-commercial purposes under the CC licence, but may only be used commercially if permission is obtained from the copyright holder. So using a BGG image for eBay or a magazine would require the copyright holder's permission, whereas using a BGG image on your blog would not.

Unless you benefit from revenue from ads on your blog page

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.