Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the terms get used in the new rankings discussion a lot. what do they mean? do i qualify? :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A shill rating is generally a very high rating for a game entered by people who haven't even played it yet, who signed up just to rate it, or who give it an artificially high rating to increase it's average.

A shill-buster is a low rating given to a game in an attempt to negate the effects of the shills.

The idea is that if I wanted to shill for a game I could give it a 10 to make it higher ranking (evenif I really only think it's a 6 or 7, my goal is to raise the average). Someone else who sees that 10 and decides I'm wrong so they give it a 1 to make up for my undeserved 10.

Another popular cry for the shill-busters is "hype", where a hot game (typically something just released) has "too many" high ratings which have been given, if you believe the shill-busters, by people who haven't played the game yet but are just going with the crowd.

All three are really attempts to game the system, which isn't too surprising given the typical audience here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.