Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Marshall
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought Dynasties and have not played it yet. It looks very interesting.

I have read the Rules questions here on BGG and am impressed by the helpful replies directly from designer Alan Newman. From the game rules and the Rules entries here, I have prepared a summary of Dynasties' Battle Results - a potential player aid. Please let me know if there are any issues or clarifications needed with this summary.

*******************************************************************************************
DYNASTIES' Battle Results

Yellow numbers 1-6 remain in game after use in battle.
All other cards discarded after use in battle.
Number cards (without + or -) played vs one another: Subtract numbers.
Playing a 6: Take 1 of your armies and mark the province (not on map). A 6 can be played only once in each province per player per game. If not available in reserve, take from map.

Special Cards
+1 vs numbered card (without + or -): +1 wins by 1.
-1 vs numbered card (without + or -): -1 loses by 1.
+1 vs +1: No change in province.
-1 vs -1: No change in province.
Plague Card vs. any card (including another plague): Cancels combat and reduces armies in province by half (rounded down – but not below 1).

Expert Game
Use 18 armies per side instead of 21. Include Special Suicide Attack cards (+2 and +3). A player may draft additional armies (if available) by discarding (not playing) a white card or plague card.
+2 vs numbered card (without + or -): +2 wins by 2, but loses 1 army from game.
+3 vs numbered card (without + or -): +3 wins by 3, but loses 2 armies from game.
+2 vs -1: +2 wins by 2, but loses 1 army from game.
+3 vs -1: +3 wins by 3, but loses 2 armies from game.
+2 vs +1: +2 wins by 1, but loses 1 army from game.
+3 vs +1: +3 wins by 2, but loses 2 armies from game.
+3 vs +2: +3 wins by 1, +3 loses 2 armies from game; +2 loses 1 army from game.
(+2 vs +2) OR (+3 vs +3): No change in province, but suicides cause army loss.
Plague Card vs either +2 or +3: Plague prevails, NO permanent loss of armies.
*******************************************************************************************

Also, I have several questions that I have not seen addressed.

1- Why does the order of dynasties matter when revealing the battle results? I realize that if the scoring marker was moved with each individual battle, then the order could matter as a game end could result before all 5 battles were completed within a scoring round.
However by my reading of the rules, it appears that all 5 battles in a scoring round are determined before moving the scoring marker in one direction or the other.

2- Assume I play a suicide +3 card round 9 in one of the battles and assume it is the last battle being scored. When revealing the +3 card, I must discard 2 armies from the game but I have none in reserve. I know I must remove 2 from the map. Can I take 2 armies from a prior battle in that round without rescoring that earlier battle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaMarsh wrote:
I have several questions that I have not seen addressed.

1- Why does the order of dynasties matter when revealing the battle results? I realize that if the scoring marker was moved with each individual battle, then the order could matter as a game end could result before all 5 battles were completed within a scoring round.
However by my reading of the rules, it appears that all 5 battles in a scoring round are determined before moving the scoring marker in one direction or the other.

1. The reason it might be important is because the armies are a hard limit. Remember, if you don't have enough troops in reserve to cover your win, you must take them from a region on the board and they must be taken from an adjacent region first. If your opponent is over-extended with his troops and is low on reserves, you can potentially force him to drain troops from key regions, giving you an edge when trying to take take those regions later.

You'll need a professional opinion on the second question, but my instinct is to say yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Newman
United States
Wantagh
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brett's answer to question 1 was accurate but incomplete. The order can make a difference but usually does not. For those few times it can make a difference, it made sense to keep the rules for order of resolution in the pamphlet.

2- Assume I play a suicide +3 card round 9 in one of the battles and assume it is the last battle being scored. When revealing the +3 card, I must discard 2 armies from the game but I have none in reserve. I know I must remove 2 from the map. Can I take 2 armies from a prior battle in that round without rescoring that earlier battle?

As soon as the card is revealed, the 2 armies should be discarded. If there are none in reserve, they can be discarded from anywhere, EXCEPT those that are marking a province where a 6 was previously played.

Yes, you can take them from an area that has already been fought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
DaMarsh wrote:
DYNASTIES' Battle Results

[...]
Number cards (without + or -) played vs one another: Subtract numbers.
[...]

Special Cards
+1 vs numbered card (without + or -): +1 wins by 1.
-1 vs numbered card (without + or -): -1 loses by 1.
+1 vs +1: No change in province.
-1 vs -1: No change in province.
[...]

Expert Game
[...]
+2 vs numbered card (without + or -): +2 wins by 2 [...]
+3 vs numbered card (without + or -): +3 wins by 3 [...]
+2 vs -1: +2 wins by 2 [...]
+3 vs -1: +3 wins by 3 [...]
+2 vs +1: +2 wins by 1 [...]
+3 vs +1: +3 wins by 2 [...]
+3 vs +2: +3 wins by 1[...]
(+2 vs +2) OR (+3 vs +3): No change in province [...]

Or, more formally:

If only one player plays a + or - card, treat its value as relative to the opponent's card; if both players play + or - cards, threat -1 as 0 and other values as relative to 0. The value of other cards is as printed.

If one player's card has a higher value than his opponent's, he adjusts armies in the area in his favor by first removing his opponent's armies and then adding his own until the total of added and removed armies is equal to the difference between the values of the played cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.