Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking at various sites that make custom dice and I'm wondering if, theoretically, it would be possible to put together an order for custom dice.

Here's one place that charges 5 euros for >100 units, for example

http://q-workshop.com/help_more.php?topic=customdice&lang=EN...

Or maybe GMT will sell them at cost...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they read here how we all feel about the dice, and give us a big surprise by including brand new dice in the expansion. By the way, only 23 pre-orders to get to 500!!!

It seems that they were not happy either when they got the awful dice in december, but it was too late. Now they have time! Please GMT, give us a sign if you plan to include them in the expansion, don't want to pay for replacement dice if I'm gonna get them for "free"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
30 euro for 6 dice is pretty expensive. I just got 6 white blanks and used the stickers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that is pretty nasty. There's another guy that makes cnc-milled metal dice that are very tasty, and probably expensive:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hobbs
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent about $4.50 for 10 chessex blank 16mm dice and they work fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jchobbs wrote:
I spent about $4.50 for 10 chessex blank 16mm dice and they work fine.

that's what I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be willing to pay for War of the Ring type of dice. That website shows dual colored dice so they would actually be nicer. I didn't think about using blank dice and adding the stickers but ... getting custom dice is significantly better, IMHO.

I need to preorder that expansion...wonder what is the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
I hope they read here how we all feel about the dice, and give us a big surprise by including brand new dice in the expansion. By the way, only 23 pre-orders to get to 500!!!

It seems that they were not happy either when they got the awful dice in december, but it was too late. Now they have time! Please GMT, give us a sign if you plan to include them in the expansion, don't want to pay for replacement dice if I'm gonna get them for "free"...

There's no "too late" when the dice are THAT bad!

I entirely agree: GMT should ship out fresh new GOOD dice with the expansion (which I have to pre-order, ooops!) It might even boost sales!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rocchi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
I haven't actually sat down yet to start applying my stickers, but I have picked up a bunch of dice from some Yahtzee Jr. sets in thrift stores. I heard that these were the right size. They seem pretty hefty and have spaces for the stickers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skrebs
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought eight blank dice (I think) in four different colors with blank round stickers for about $1.50 at a local toy store and they're good quality. They are normal-sized, whatever that is, so if that's what you need, it's a pretty cheap way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a silly question--why do we need to use blank dice? I put the stickers right over an old set of pipped (?) dice and they seem ok. Either way, we'll need to put some kind of coating over them or the ink will rub off. I used a clear enamel. I'll upload pics of the set I just made, see what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spray or painted on?

I'd love to carve some wooden ones, but would be worried about statistical consistency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say shame on GMT for creating a situation where a question like this would even be asked. tsk, tsk tsk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the dice that came with the game. They roll fine (and, as a bonus, tend not to knock crap everywhere when a roll goes a little bit wild).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McIntyre
Canada
Unspecified
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid about $13 for a Ninja Turtles game just for the 10 dice inside. They were the same type of dice as Battle Cry.

The stickers were still to big, but an exacto knife fixed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yossarians wrote:
Just a silly question--why do we need to use blank dice? I put the stickers right over an old set of pipped (?) dice and they seem ok. Either way, we'll need to put some kind of coating over them or the ink will rub off. I used a clear enamel. I'll upload pics of the set I just made, see what you think.

The only negative I can see with your solution is the stickers might show wear from the pip "holes" over time.

BTW, I used some extra Battle Cry dice I had laying around. (I have 3 sets of Battle Cry for large scenarios.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played 6 games with my set and already the blue triangles are wearing to white. Also, my friend's dog ate one! Can't blame GMT for that, I suppose soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb

Ok, here's my set. As you can see, some of the faces show a hint of pip, but nothing too distracting. I'm pretty happy with the result. One of the issues I had with the original dice is that the sticker faces were starting to rub off. I'll take those pics too. Some of them you can hardly make out what the symbol is. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, or if my friends and I are just unusually unctious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've just ordered C&C:A.

After hearing about the quality of the supplied dice I am planning to order some blank dice. What size would best fit the dice stickers: 16mm, 18mm or 22mm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eagle Games was set up next to Gamestation at GAMA and they had some really sharp looking custom dice at what appear to be really good prices (you who follow the cost of dice can determine that for yourself). In the interest of full disclosure Aaron is a good friend of mine. My hope is to let the prices and quality speak for themselves.

Keith

http://www.gamestation.net/customdicedominoes.asp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.