Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A month ago I initiated a trade with a BGG user (to remain unamed...for now). I offered Palazzo for Street Soccer.

Having had good luck so far with other traders, I didn't think anything of the fact that he had a trade rating of "0." Gotta start somewhere, I figured.

Well, sure enough, he accepted the trade.

Dutifully, I shipped Palazzo within 48 hours after receiving the acceptance...and I waited...and waited...and waited

chirp...chirp.

No Street Soccer.

I have written 3 e-mails since, all of them polite but with varying degrees of frustration and intimidation leaking into my language.

The problem is...his last login, according to his profile, was the morning before I sent my first message.

What should I do?

Should I go ahead and leave negative feedback? Should I wait a little longer to see if he logs back in? Should I lick my wounds and never again trade with a user with a "0" trade rating?

Sound off.

At the vary least, this has been cathartic...but I still want beat the living s**t out of the...angry devil angry devil...oh sorry...I'm better now....really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giant Robot
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael,

Use whatever resources you can think of to turn the address and name you have into a telephone number. Give the guy a call. Heck you may get some kids parents, who would be interested to learn that "Johnny's cheating people. Remain Civil. Set a date by which the game you want must be at your doorstep. Or set a date by which your original game must be returned to you along with a money order in the amount of the postage you first paid. If not there on that date leave the negative feedback and post to the deadbeat trader geeklist and pursue whatever other actions you see fit.

Personally, I would spend the dime to call local law enforcement in his area and see if I could file a police report over the phone.

Did you send your game through the US postal service? If things do not work out on getting your game I would suggest printing your documentation and going to meet with your local postmaster. Ask him if your documentation is enough to file some kind of mail fraud charge.

If you just let it drop, you just reinforce the deadbeats perception that he/she can get away with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's getting to the point where we need an official policy:

"If you have a 0 feedback rating, you are expected to ship games first."

Then those of us who feel guilty about asking that sort of thing can simply point to the policy.

Is it unfair? Well, yeah, it should be. As it is I could create a new account, list some hot games everyone wants, make a trade, and keep whatever you send me and never log on to that account again.

"I've got Wallenstein! Who wants to trade me Pizza Box Football and expansions? You? GREAT! Just send 'em over and the Tower will be YOURS!"

*giggle*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Johnson
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not impolite or unfair to ask someone with no rating to send first, and after everything arrives and looks satisfactory you will immediately send yours out. I have used this process in the past and it was not ill-received or thought unfair by the other person. I think most folks know that it takes alot of trust and open communication to trade successfully with online strangers. By the way, I have been totally hosed on one occasion by Joe Krow (refer to the deadbeat/slacker trader geeklist).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
Florissant
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yea, I feel for you. I'm having the same problem with a first time trader. I traded Supremacy plus a few expansions for Pirates Cove. Since the deal was made I haven't heard hide nor hare of the guy. My tracking number says my package was delivered on 3/15/06. The trade was initiated on 3/7/06. Since the trade was done, no communication whatsoever from the guy even though I sent several emails and I see that he's been on the Geek since then. Oh well, I get to get screwed for the first time - on the Geek that is.

angry cry

His last login was 3/16/06 so I know he's read my emails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.