Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this has all been hashed over and over again, but the camel's back is straining...what I am about to show is only the most egregious example I have run across. More and more folks are resorting to "Right-Click Banditry" in their quest for GG.

Moderating images, I rejected this image:

BGG Image 120930

Why? Well it is clearly a copyrighted image taken from another website. At least the submitter did not resort to subterfuge and remove the copyright notice, but...

The image submission rules read (in part):
Quote:
Image Submission Rules (PLEASE READ!):

You may only upload pictures that you have taken yourself or for which you have obtained explicit permission to upload from the rights holder. Uploading others' pictures without explicit permission may be grounds for suspension of uploading rights or suspension of your account, depending on the severity of the offense.

Somehow, I doubt that RBM has ever told anyone "Feel free to navigate to this link: http://www.gmtgames.com/cca/exp1units.jpg and then right-click your mouse, save image as..., and then upload it to another website." And if he did, I think the submitter should say so in a caption for the image.

Like I mentined, I have seen other images that have appeared fishy dur to copyright issues. OK, the idea of letting users moderate images is a pretty swell idea, but there definitely needs to be someone watching the junior apprentice moderators, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny you should mention that - I just deleted that picture

There's always going to be stuff that slips through, but rest assured that anything that gets through GeekMod can still get shot down by the admins.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Checking copyright isn't the Moderators' job - it's the admins. There aren't any instructions regarding copyright nor any checkbox labeled "copyright violation" on the GeekMod page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
Checking copyright isn't the Moderators' job - it's the admins. There aren't any instructions regarding copyright nor any checkbox labeled "copyright violation" on the GeekMod page.

Perhaps you are right, but I would not think that you would need instructions for something so blatant. And there is a check box marked "Other" with a description field (which is what I used).

Sorry, I just thought that common sense seemed to dictate that if you see a big copyright notice across the bottom of the image then it is a no brainer to reject it.

Ah, who am I kidding? I am just bitter about losing my GC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe the geekmod tool could show a line that "permission was granted" for the pending image?

(Incidently, I voted 'approve' on that image as I assumed the submitter was given permission. [Yes, Mr. Positivo is quite gullible.])

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Der Das wrote:
I voted 'approve' on that image as I assumed the submitter was given permission.

I wish this was the default for GeekMod and for BGG Admins. I think we'd be better off if images and files were only removed if the copyright holder complains, instead of doing it pro-actively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.