Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Y.
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay everyone, this is the first real post of mine here on the Geek and I must humbly ask for your help and suggesions!

As the title alludes, I am getting a tax return and have been planning for a while now to spend a portion on games. Lots of games. My FLGS's selection isnt what I want, and I am on a budget so my research has led me to Thought Hammer's free shipping for orders over $125!

The goal here is to get as many great games for around $125 as possible in order to beef up my sparce game collection. Games will be falling into 1 of 3 categories: 1-games I can play with my family (Carc, TTR, etc), 2- games I can play with my girlfriend, and 3- games I can play with my dwindling pool of game geeks!

Currently my collection looks something like this:
category 1-Carc, Through the Desert
category 2-Carc, Through the Desert
category 3-Dungeon Twister, A&A, Zombies, Munchkin, Settlers

And now here's what I'm thinking of purchasing:
category 1-citadels, betrayal at the house on the hill, Ticket to Ride, Fluxx
category 2-Lost cities, category 5, Carcassonne: Castle
category 3-Dungeoneer (Tomb of the Lich lord and the Malthorin expansion)

Everyone LOVES TTR, so that's a must.
I've played citadels and fluxx before and think they'd go over well
Betrayal LOOKS so damn cool and the errata'd rules are out, plus the GF sounded interested in this one
Lost Cities, Cat. 5 - the GF likes card games
Carc: Castle - looks good for 2
Dungeoneer - Cheap modular dungeon questing! Ive read the negatives, but for the price I think it'll be cool.

The total is $138.58.

Others that've gotten cut: Alhambra, ZooSim, Mystery of the Abbey, Carc: Inns and Cathedrals, Battleground Fantasy army decks (still really want them, but wont get to play as much as the others...ugh, same with Twilight Struggle *drool*), Dungeon Twister: Dragson and Paladins, Coloretto, Bang!

Thoughts are all welcome!
Thanks in advance, Jonathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carc: The Castle -

Maybe reconsider this. My wife and I don't like this version. I think the colors are uninteresting, and my wife doesn't like that the different edges don't match up to make a pretty map as the original Carc does.

I think I heard that Carc: The City plays well with 2, but that would break your budget.

Carc: Hunters and Gatherers is also an interesting variation, although I haven't tried it with just 2 players.

Ark of the Covenant is also highly spoken of, but I haven't played it. Pretty similar game experience to original Carc, from what I can tell.

How about your regular Carc you already own? - that seems to play well with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check into these, if you haven't already. These are all great IMO and will all fit into all three of your categories:

Ra (good 2-player variant)
St. Petersburg
San Juan
Ingenious
Samurai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Y.
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually never played the original Carc with only 2... Maybe we'll give it a go this weekend and see. Thanks for the warning on Carc Castle... I'm going to read up some more and see if I think it's worth the (possible) risk.

Also, any alternate site suggestions would be great, but I'm pretty sure that Thought Hammer is the cheapest with the cheapest shipping (free!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're probably right about Thougthammer's shipping.
But check out TimeWellSpent.org if you need a backup.

Good luck - hope you enjoy what you get.

[Isn't anyone else going to post here? ]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dahlstrom
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
(This is a picture of a frozen waterfall, from behind the waterfall)
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Um...

I like Betrayal, actually, but I don't know how good it is for family. It's a bit ... fiddly, and in most games, once the betrayal is revealed, everyone's out to kill one player, who's effectively chosen at random. Maybe your family's more cut-throat than mine, but that wouldn't go over well in my family.

Similar comment on citadels. I've heard comments that to really like the game, you have to like ... trying to cut off the other players. If someone's in the lead, you have to actively try to "get 'em". Not all families like that.

TTR, Lost Cities, definitely. For family, I'd also suggest Ingenious, Blokus (or Gemblo?) and Rumis - all abstracts, but all good, and good for families.

Oh, also, Settlers has gone over well with my family - if you haven't already, maybe give it a try.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I'm not sure how good Category 5 would be for two players. Other games for two players that I would consider would be titles like San Juan, Jambo, or one of the 2-player Mystery Rummy series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BANG...............Trust me. Use the rest for a dinner and a movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skrebs
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:

[Isn't anyone else going to post here? ]

Okay, the gauntlet has been thrown down.

Quote:

Out of what you have listed, here are my opinions of the ones I'm familiar with.

I really think Citadels needs to be played a lot so that people are able to choose roles quickly, so if it's not going to get played a lot, it will probably drag. But it can be fun.

I still have fun with T2R, but if you can get The Mystery Train expansion somewhere, it will add so much to the game.

Fluxx hasn't seen a lot of play around here in a long time; it can last 2 minutes or 45 depending upon the draw. It wouldn't be high on my priority list.

Lost Cities gets a few plays per month with my wife and I still like it. People claim there is no strategy but I don't agree.

Category 5 is chaotic fun and you can play Geschenkt with the deck (but don't tell anyone!) and Geschenkt is even more fun. Highly recommended.

My wife and I prefer Carcassonne: the Castle over regular Carcassonne as a two-player. But again, I'm not sure that it's a must buy if you already have Carcassonne.

My recommendations are...

Category 1 - Around the World in 80 Days, Boomtown, either Carc: Princess and the Dragon or The Count if your family likes screwage, Cloud 9, For Sale, Loot, Pirate's Cove (I'm sure there will be people who groan over this one), Ingenious, Settlers, Dos Rios.
Category 2 - Lost Cities, Jambo, Elchfest, Ingenious, Travel Blokus, Odin's Ravens, T2R, Alhambra (with Matt).
Category 3 - I'm unsure since most of my Category 1 games would fall into Category 3.

I don't know how to keep it to $125 though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Category 2 - Lost Cities, Jambo, Elchfest, Ingenious, Travel Blokus, Odin's Ravens, T2R, Alhambra (with Matt).

My wife and I love playing Alhambra with Matt. He's a great guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you buy Pirate's Cove, you'll feel as if you were cheated. Marginal value here...it would be sorta OK at 1/3 the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Blaine
United States
Fulton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about your girlfriend, but my wife is very picky about which games she'll play with just me, since she tends to be strategically challenged and doesn't like the put down aspect of most competitive games. But we both found a winner when I picked up San Juan last Christmas. It's the only 2 player game I can think of that has no negative aspect: no way to hurt the other player's game, no random or other 'catastrophe' cards or rounds to break down what you've built up, no 'can't do anything' rounds as you wait for a better card. You're always building, planning and having fun. We both love that one!

Recently tried Settlers of Catan the Card game for the first time, and I would suggest that as a good girlfriend game too.

My suggestion for gaming on a budget: never pass up a chance to hit a specialized toy store like Toys R Us or KB Toys. They regularly have massive sales and I've picked up a ton of great games over the years for under $10. Also, check out gaming con auctions (Origins' auction rocks!), and discount piles at your local game stores. And remember, local stores have free shipping too! Without gamer dollars those brick and mortal stores will close, and then where will you have a chance to try out new games?

ThomasinNY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stone
United States
Sedro-Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
To all my geekfriends, I know I haven't been around much lately, but BGG is still my homepage and everyone is still in my heart everyday. Just so damn busy!
mbmbmbmbmb
*Sigh* Here we go again, another person asking me to help him spend his $$. Okay, step one, place it in a security envelope made out to Jennifer Stone, 2309 28th ....... just kidding.

Lots of good suggestions here, though I will back up Carcassonne: The Castle. My husband didn't like regular Carc, but he likes to play C:tC. Still, if you have the regular you may want to pass up C:tC for an expansion that will spice it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.