Puerto Rico» Forums » Rules

Subject: The Builder and the Quarry Rule Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Danis
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello All,

I have a question regarding the Builder Role where the player has quarries. According to page 5 of the official rules it states that "Each occupied quarry that a player ownes MAY reduce the player's cost for bulding a building by 1 doubloon." The rules also point out that there are limits for the deductions based on four columns provided on the game board. Further down the page the rules provide an example. A player with 3 occupied quarries pays the following costs: Construction Hut 1; Office 3; Harbour 5; City hall 7.

My question is, if you have 3 occupied quarries would you pay the following values for the following buildings?

Small Warehouse 2 doubloons?
Large Warehouse 4 doubloons?
Coffee Roaster 3 doubloons?
Guild hall 7 doubloons?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I understand your question. Any player can use their quarries to build, giving them a discount on purchasing the buildings, according to the limits described in the rules. The builder's privilege of a one doubloon discount is added on top of the discount provided by any quarries the player already owns.

Is that what you're asking?

The prices you list seem correct, though if you chose the builder role, you would get an additional discount of one doubloon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dean_Danis wrote:
My question is, if you have 3 occupied quarries would you pay the following values for the following buildings?

Small Warehouse 2 doubloons?
Large Warehouse 4 doubloons?
Coffee Roaster 3 doubloons?
Guild hall 7 doubloons?

That's correct.

Note that a fourth occupied quarry would drop the Guild Hall cost to $6, but the others would stay the same.

Also, the costs for the player who took the Builder role are further decreased by $1. (Remember that the $1 Builder discount is always in addition to the maximum quarry discounts.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nielsen
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Quote:
(Remember that the $1 Builder discount is always in addition to the maximum quarry discounts.)

One important addition to that is that you never get cash back if your discounts exceed the price of the building. If you choose builder and have a manned quarry and purchase a small indigo/small market, you don't also get a coin from the bank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Johns
New Zealand
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Salt-Man Z wrote:
(Remember that the $1 Builder discount is always in addition to the maximum quarry discounts.)

Not quite always. If the quarry discounts reduce the price to $0, the Builder discount doesn't further reduce it to $-1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaDan,

You can certainly have a $3 discount on a $2 building, but like Eric said in the post just before yours, you don't get the change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.