Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This came out today at lunch time, with three of us playing. We all started pretty slowly, with Ed and I focussed on collecting artifact cards. Carrie tended to focus more on collecting spells, and she was able to make good use of the spell that augments the Holy Place adventure. I was able to collect a lot of artifact cards early, which was a mixed blessing. I did ultimately collect four black dragon eggs, and a bunch of other single card artifacts, but I ended up with two staff-1 cards and two amulet-2 cards, and due to the card mix, was never able to trade in order to complete a set.

Through the course of the game I found that there wasn't a whole lot of competition for the adventures. Generally speaking, the decisions were more like "What adventure can I afford to let go by the wayside?" I decided that those would be the spells. I did get the thief, and was able to use it to steal one whole magic point. Carrie had similar success with the magician assistant, using it on only one turn to collect a spell. I think that was an artifact of the luck of the landscape card draw. We did have to shuffle and reuse the cards, but only went one or two cards into the refreshed deck. Carrie had better luck with her elf, as did Ed with his dwarf. They were able to collect magic points, and use them as well to defeat creatures.

I found the addition of the orcs to be an interesting plus to the game. It both increased the requirements to defeat the creatures, and boosted the rewards as well. It was felt most noticeably in the endgame. First, having three additional dragons at the end (the "D" cards) will require a bit more magic point planning. But we also had those last three dragons with orc henchmen, and that meant that in the final round, only Ed was able to target and defeat a dragon.

As it turned out, we all went with very different strategies. I was heavy in artifacts, which really didn't pan out all that much, except at the end. I had collected 4 black dragon eggs, which netted me 14 power stones. Carrie also had 3, for 9. Ed never saw any. Carrie focused more on spells, but did use them to pick off creatures when she could, while I never got a spell all game. But with everything going on, we can consider this game one data point in favor of the "but it's all pretty well balanced" viewpoint. The final scores were 52 for Carrie, and Ed and I tied with 51.

I found the game enjoyable in that it lasted a touch longer than without the expansion, which for me was good, as at times the game could feel like it was ending a bit too quickly. I suspect my comment above about having little competition would change with four or five players. This is something I definitely want to try again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.