Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big Commands and Colors fan, and I've owned Memoir 44 for over a year now and it's great fun. I finally decided tonight to buy the three expansions, and I found it kind of interesting how I had to pursue my latest grail...

There are three expansions. None of my "somewhat local" FLGS had these around, and in the one that visited in Virigina had them for a considerable mark-up over what DOW offers them for (example: ~$35 for the Terrain Pack vs $25 from Days of Wonder directly). I therefore decided to go on-line. I first went to eBay (always my first stop) and found the Terrain Pack for $5 less (including shipping) than DOW's on-line store, so I bought that right then and there. Unfortunately that guy did not have the other two expansions. Next stop - DOW's on-line store. The Eastern Front pack was there and I bought it immediately. However, I discovered that the Winter/Desert Board is out of stock, and will not be back until Summer! Summer - I can't wait that long! I suspect a run on these may have occurred when Commands and Colors Ancients owners decided to upgrade the paper maps supplied with that game! I went back to eBay and found only one Winter/Desert out there, without a "Buy it Now" option. I then went to ThoughtHammer, but they also listed it out of stock! Finally, I went to FunAgain Games. While the Winter/Desert board was priced at $13.95 versus the $9.95 at DOW, at least they had one in stock, so I hit the button.

I just thought it mildly interesting that one can (and in this case, forced to) take multiple paths in assembling a game order. The lesson? It pays to be flexible. Oh well, that's my saga...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Githens
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how much did you really save? Not counting the extra time spent compiling the different sources for your expansions. As well as not supporting your local game shop to save $10 or so on a product that is well worth the cost.

Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, given that I live in Pennsylvania, and the closest FLGS that I know that even carried this stuff was in Northern Virginia, only a mere 300 miles away, I thought that the drive alone would account for a greater than $10 difference. Don't get hung up on support of FLGS - it's a great concept if you have one that is actually LOCAL! I don't, so on-line shopping is the ONLY option. There used to be a few decent shops around here, but they are either gone, or have been reduced to selling party games and jigsaw puzzles. It has NOTHING to do with SAVING a BUCK, but a LOT to do with AVAILABILITY! Someone want to open a real FLGS with a full line of wargames in Pittsburgh? Fine - I'm there - until then, it's online or nuthin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
desertfox2004 wrote:
Well, given that I live in Pennsylvania,

Notice that GameSurplus.com (in Lititz, PA) has 2 of the 3 expansions in stock and the 3rd on short-notice order (ie can get in a couple of days).

They do offer customer pick-up (by appointment only) so might be an alternative for you to consider in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Richard - thanks for the information, but unfortunately, Lititz is on the other side of the state, near Philly - that's over 200 miles away. I really wish we had a good FLGS around here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I suspect a run on these may have occurred when Commands and Colors Ancients owners decided to upgrade the paper maps supplied with that game!

Wow, thanks for the idea! I feel kinda silly now. I have ancients. I remember looking at M44 and thinking 'oh, same bits.' I even looked at the expansion map. But it never 'clicked.'

Check out http://www.timewellspent.org as well when you need to find something online. They had two in stock at a good price when I placed my order (so.. 1 now I guess). I've dealt with them several times myself and directed several friends there and we've always gotten excellent service. We also suffer from the lack of a FLGS.

Thanks again!

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The desert map for Memoir 44 is NOT exactly the same as the C&C Ancients board. It has the same number of hexes but the dividing lines for the center section and the flanks are different. The center is smaller in C&C Ancients. I'm fairly sure that the larger flanks in C&C Ancients were designed that way for a reason so you will at least want to note that if using a different board (or perhaps just use the original board -- I can't recommend a sheet of plastic highly enough for wargame maps).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ginn
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree...A 2'x3' sheet of plexi-glass from your local hardware store is the perfect size for any of the games using the Commands & Colors engine. Not only does it help protect the thinner board in C&C: Ancients but it also provides the added benefit of holding the terrain tiles in place on all versions of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I mentioned this last fall when the M'44 expansions were released but I'll repeat it so you won't think poorly of some retailers. The M'44 expansions are "short discount" items for retailers. The boxed exapsnion with the Russian army, as an example, costs the retailer about $20... more if they don't qualify for free shipping. So selling at $35 in a B&M store is about right. I sold mine for a retail of $29.99

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
latindog wrote:
The desert map for Memoir 44 is NOT exactly the same as the C&C Ancients board.

Thanks for the heads up! I hadn't noticed that but now I see it. Hmm.. now how to use that in my favor on an unsuspecting opponent.... (just kidding!)

Thanks again,

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ginn5j wrote:
Agree...A 2'x3' sheet of plexi-glass from your local hardware store is the perfect size for any of the games using the Commands & Colors engine. Not only does it help protect the thinner board in C&C: Ancients but it also provides the added benefit of holding the terrain tiles in place on all versions of the game.

I'm actually heading over to Home Depot today to look for a piece. I've been slowly measuring my maps to find the best size compared to the table I own and a table at my buddies place. Thanks for the reminder though... I almost had forgotten.

Take care,

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Githens
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you lead off with "somewhat local" how is anyone supposed to know that that means 200-300 miles? If that's the case then sure online seems to be a great option. If it were 20 miles or so then, support your local guy for $10 bucks.

So what was your total savings over retail / DoW site?

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Josh:

Yeah, sorry I wasn't more clear about the distances involved! My bad!

As for the savings (which again wasn't really the objective) - I think it worked out as follows:

a) M44 Terrain Expansion: I paid $20.97 + $5.50 s/h via eBay seller versus $24.95 + $6.62 ups from DOW store: net savings: $5.10

b) M44 Eastern Front Exp: I did buy this from DOW's store, at $24.95 + $6.62 ups: net savings: $0.00

c) M44 Winter/Desert Board: I went to my fourth option, FunAgain Games, as DOW and Thoughthammer were both Out of Stock, and there was only one (1) copy available on eBay, so in order to get mine now (versus 3 to 5 months from now when they reprint), I paid a premium of $13.95 + $6.50 s/h versus $9.95 + $6.62 ups from DOW had it been available: net loss: -$3.88

Total net savings, buying via multiple sources versus all from DOW's on-line store: $1.22

Had I had a FLGS nearby, and based on the prices I have seen for them in a FLGS in Northern Virigina (Compleat Strategist), I believe my net savings compared to the FLGS would have been roughly $6.50, based on paying $35 each for the Terrain and Russian expansions, and $15 for the Boards.

Again, the savings were not really the point of the exercise. It is a shame that there aren't any decent FLGS within a 45 min or even 1 hour drive of my place. Used to be, but they all died or shriveled to the point of being worthless for what I look for (if you are into CCG's or Warhammer, there are a couple of places, but that's not me). I keep thinking about opening one myself, but then luckily I always come to my senses.

FLASH - THERE MAY ACTUALLY BE A FLGS WITHIN 60 MINUTES OF ALIQUIPPA, PA - ONE OF MY GAME GROUP HAS FOUND A PLACE CALLED "GAME MASTERS" IN PITTSBURGH, AND MAPQUEST SAYS THEY ARE ONLY 22 MILES AWAY, BUT THE DRIVING TIME WILL BE AROUND 50 MINUTES, WHICH IS NOT HARD TO BELIEVE WITH ALL OF THE HILLS, BRIDGES, AND OTHER OBSTACLES AROUND HERE. I MAY TRY TO FIND THIS PLACE TOMORROW!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As of Saturday, I am plastic sheetified.

All these years and I've been missing out on this simple yet wonderful sheet of plastic. It's amazing how it adds so much to a game... a flat map.. a nice playing surface.. protection.. it's *shiny* and.. lets just say I'm a happy camper now.

Take care everyone!

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
By my numbers you saved $10 over shopping at FunAgain games exclusively.

Seems like a lot of work for 10 bucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.